What BF% do the lower abs start to show?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Ive been cutting for while, and Im down about 20lbs and a good 6-7% BF. Caliper readings are showing that Im right around 11%. At what BF% do those of you who have leaned out start noticing lower abdominal definition?

BV

phadedwish

Awards
Ive been cutting for while, and Im down about 20lbs and a good 6-7% BF. Caliper readings are showing that Im right around 11%. At what BF% do those of you who have leaned out start noticing lower abdominal definition?

BV
10%

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lower?? Never seen em. :blink:
I would say somewhere around 6-7%. Just my guess

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Lower?? Never seen em.
I would say somewhere around 6-7%. Just my guess
I was thinking around 8-9% before they really start to come out. It looks like Ive got a couple % to go. The calipers could be off though,...

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
If you get lower ab definition your the man, good luck man!

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
there is no set answer .. it has to do with how lean you are BUT ALSO how developed your ab muscles are .. look at exnihilio he's a higher BF% but you can still see his abs because they are well developed

work your abs like any other muscle (not a million reps with no weight) and keep leaning out and they will show in no time

texas

Awards
i can see mine @ 8%, but iv always had big abs so im not sure

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As glenihan said, it depends. Think of it this way: At what bodyfat can you see the seperation in the two heads of the bicep? It depends on two things (more or less), developement of said muscle, and fat distribtion. I have very developed abs, but carry ALL (minus cerebral fat) fat in my love handle/lower ab area. I need to hit 7% to see the vertical seperation in my lower rectus. That is a true 7%, not 7% adjusted for board factor. It also shold be noted that I do not have a deep vertical seperation in my lower abs as a function of gentics.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I think it really depends on the individual, there's no set answer for everyone. It all depends on where you carry fat. I agree with glen that you should work your abs heavy usually I hit the 12-15rep range.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
If you get lower ab definition your the man, good luck man!
Thanks! Ill need it!:)

there is no set answer .. it has to do with how lean you are BUT ALSO how developed your ab muscles are .. look at exnihilio he's a higher BF% but you can still see his abs because they are well developed

work your abs like any other muscle (not a million reps with no weight) and keep leaning out and they will show in no time
Thanks for the tip glenihan - I could always see the top 4 abdominal muscles but the lower abs have always been a challenge for me. I do train abs weighted, I usually work them 1-2 times a week with a combination of weighted incline situps and hanging/twisting knee raises.

What's your ab routine?

BV

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
you're going to hate me but i never work abs separately

i worked them a lot (heavy) when i was younger and they stay there because of the stress put on them during heavy squats and deads

i don't think i've done an "ab exercise" in at least 2 years

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah? That's interesting - I never worked abs directly while I was bulking, although I did start training them a few months ago when i was cutting down. I definitely have more strength in my midsection - they do seem to be more defined as well but that could just be bodyfat loss.

I guess Ill have to wait till all the fat is gone until I know what they really look like:D

Did you ever have any luck with topical fat burners?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
never tried any topical fat burners .. i hvae no faith in them

just keep leaning up and hitting the abs hard and heavy

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
It really depends on the individual. {Genetics and the size of the muscles}

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
never tried any topical fat burners .. i hvae no faith in them

just keep leaning up and hitting the abs hard and heavy
Nice:) That's what Ill keep doing then:)

As glenihan said, it depends. Think of it this way: At what bodyfat can you see the seperation in the two heads of the bicep?
That's another thing that pisses me off - I have decent sized arms and my bi's are pretty strong, but it seems like I seem to carry a disproportionate amount of fat on my arms, of all places. I have to be *really* lean before I even get the biceps vein coming through. My kid brother, on the other hand, can be 18% bodyfat and still have a ripped set of bis. Go figure.:D

BV

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It could be that you have a 4-pack naturally, and simply don't have those two extra lower abs. I know I don't. There are a number of pros like that. Mike Mentzer for example had a 4-pack.

Then there are some who have an additional set like Lee Priest which results in an 8-pack.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
It could be that you have a 4-pack naturally, and simply don't have those two extra lower abs. I know I don't. There are a number of pros like that. Mike Mentzer for example had a 4-pack.

Then there are some who have an additional set like Lee Priest which results in an 8-pack.
I can feel them underneath the 1/2" of fat that that's covering them up, I think I just need to get rid of it. Ive dropped nearly 5" off my waist since I started cutting, and they havent come out yet. I guess I'm just getting a little impatient, but Ive been slacking on the cardio this past month too. (my own fault)

BV

phadedwish

Awards
I'm not talking about well defined but when my lower abs start to show is 10%.

Speedbacker

Awards
Your lower abs is the ombilical site. That site has a direct result with cortisol. If you see yourself getting quite lean, but your lower abs are still high, then use something like lean extreme or blaze. Those will only work though if cortisol is your problem.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
hmm...interesting speedbacker - Ill have to look into that.

BV

Danl4560

Awards
Personally, I tend to store fat in strange places, so I can see my lower abs at around 12%. My love handles and quads tend to store an enormous amount of fat, as well as my chest, but only to a lesser extent.

Dawg1

Awards
Dunno if this helps or not but i find i get a far better definition in this area when im doing a lot of kickboxing training. Think the kicking especially trains the lower section bacuse of the muscles you use to do it.
just a point of interes but Bruce lee used to do a hundred or so frog kicks a day just to train his abs.

Also sprinting like 100m trains the **** out of mine, dunno if your into that sort of training but it works!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, me too (talking about fat storage) - it seems to be more concentrated on my lower abs and glutes, and the rest gets distributed evenly over my body.

Now that Ive cut down quite a bit, most of the fat came off my back and chest, and ass first. Lower abs, arms, and thighs are still being stubborn.

Bv

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
So, BV, would you say you have a pear shaped physique :nutkick: ;)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
HAHA!:) No, but Ill tell you - all the men in my family who get overweight have these HUGE asses. When I bulked up to 240, I had quite the backside myself, although it was quite shapely due to the squats and deadlifts. Would you like a pic? C'mon, you know you do...( | ):D

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm good; I'm practically blind as is. :D

My girl always tells me I have a big ass. I thought she was just messing with me, but I was at a bar the other night, and everyone who bumped into me bumped my ass first :think:

This is definitely from squats and deads, as everyone always used to laugh at my asslessness.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Same here!! before I started lifiting I'd get these "white boy aint got no ass" jokes all the time. If only those beeyatches could see me now!:)

When I bulk, small objects start revolving around me, as my ass takes on its own gravitational field from the sheer mass of it!:)

BV

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Man, I hope the gravitational force is strong enough so that your ass isn't pulled into the sun :run:

We've officially ruined this thread :eek:

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
He has done his worst but his ass will end him. He is hasped and hooped and hirpling with lard, limping and looped in it. Like a man outlawed for his own ass. he must await the mighty judgement of the mods in majesty.

NOW we've ruined this thread brother!:)

BV

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is definitely from squats and deads, as everyone always used to laugh at my asslessness.
ya i had nothing in the hind quarters for quite a while as well then i started snowboarding avantly and worked a job with lots of crouching and crawling both which have a squat like motion. now i got a fine behind. lol @ the thread trashing btw

keninishna

Awards
yeah I lost a lot of fat off my lower stomach using 7-oh and sesamin, along with some good cardio of course.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
He has done his worst but his ass will end him. He is hasped and hooped and hirpling with lard, limping and looped in it. Like a man outlawed for his own ass. he must await the mighty judgement of the mods in majesty.

NOW we've ruined this thread brother!:)

BV
:toofunny: