Food List for CLEAN eating

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I have my own list, but frankly would like to expand it. Recipes help but, for this thread, how about if we just list foods that should/could appear on a well-made 'eating clean' shopping/meal list...

The very basic...

oatmeal (whole grain)
chicken, breast (skinless, boneless)
cottage cheese (fat free or low fat)
brown rice (long grain)
broccoli
tomatoes
sweet potatoes

The 'would work for some plans, not for
others'...

top-round steak
pasta (whole wheat) [possibly organic]

Let the listing begin! Give your favorites or fill in what gets left out as we go along...

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
my diet is boring as **** when dieting down .. the only thing i can add is skim milk and fat free yogurt .. incredibly low GI and all the benefits of milk

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
beans
mushrooms
bell peppers
salmon
scallops
bison steak(lower fat than chicken breast and tastes awesome)
ground trukey breast;it can be added to anything for a different texture
I think that seasonings become vitally important when trying to eat clean(low sodium of course)

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Ground turkey. I like to mix a little bit of "Franks hot sauce" in it and eat b4 bed...good sleep, good slow release protein.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Good list Fireproof... thanks.

Any more additions?

What about other ideas for food prep? To keep from getting tired of a food type?

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
I think a lot of people forget about lean ground beef. You can now find 96% lean ground beef in most grocery stores (including Walmart) for pretty cheap, and it has about the same fat content as a chicken breast.

Plus, it's very flexible. I brown up a few pounds of it at a time and eat it a variety of ways (on a salad, or mixed with sweet potatoes, or just plain with a side of veggies, etc...)

Good source of protein. Red meat = yummy! :D

Don't forget plenty of greens. Top three choices would be: Broccoli, Asparagus, and Green Beans.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ground turkey. I like to mix a little bit of "Franks hot sauce" in it and eat b4 bed...good sleep, good slow release protein.
I second the ground turkey. In many cases, its cheaper than chicken and a lot leaner too.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
my diet is boring as **** when dieting down .. the only thing i can add is skim milk and fat free yogurt .. incredibly low GI and all the benefits of milk
Except for the Big Macs...
;)

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
How is skim milk low GI? Just wondering...

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
and a supreme pizza from pizza hut is a 33 ;)

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
All we're really given is a little dash between two dates: when you started and when you ended. What will you do with your dash?
WOW!!

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Hey dudes, lets keep this list going. Nice link Crowned One!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Careful with the frozen boneless/skinless chicken it can have a hell of a lot of sodium.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whole wheat tortillas and a sugar-free salsa: great for tex-mex varieties.

Olives: most only think of the oil but why not eat the whole fruit - especially for satiety when dieting.

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
Fireproof comes in and lays the smack down as always.

I love tuna sandwhiches on whole wheat with melted fat free mozerlla cheese :) thats what im eating now so thats why i posted it :0

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It may be boring but look at the benefits, and theres always updated foods comign out

that are healthy.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Buffalo/whole wheat pasta
grilled chicken/brown rice
fish/Yam
Salman./ Red potatoe (white potaoes RE FAST ACTING CARBS)
LOW FAT COTTAGE CHEESE/APPLE
tuna/whole grain wheat wrap
turket breast/ wild rice
fat free yogurt/ grapefruit

jdubz

Awards
Be careful with the whole wheat tortillas. I love them but until recently I didn't know that some brands contain hydrogenated oils.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i noticed after i ate a whole wheat tortilla (with tuna) last night that i had a weird smell/feeling something coming from my stomach(or wherever) , unless it was my multi.

The Hydrogenated oil should show up on the ingredidents so just get whole wheat totillas w/o Hydrogenated oil. problem sloved

DjDrHart

Awards
Mustard like Grey Poupon is virtually calorie free and adds taste to food.

size

Awards
  • Established
I like to eat different types of wild game as typically they have a lower fat content yet a high protein content
Another thing to try is edamame. :thumbsup:

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, mustard is definitely the bodybuilder's condiment. Anyone mention GrapeNuts? A little high in sodium but they're great in the morning w/skim milk when I dont have time to cook oatmeal.

BV

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
sandwiches...

Trader joes california complete protein sprouted grain bread, 3 slices butterball 98% fat free turkey breast, 3 slices fat free american cheese, lettuce, tomato and sweet+spicy mustard. Put 2-3 of them in your backpack and you're good to go for the afternoon. Comes in at about 40g protein, 40g carbs, ~5g fat, ~360 calories

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
ex!! where have ya been buddy? long time no see

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
What's up bro! Between school, work and sex crazy girlfriends my time has been locked lately :D

Thankfully the semester is just about over and I am going to have time to come pester you guys again... I'm even going to try and cut down to compete in the 242lb weight class, imagine that :D

How about you bro, you have any comps in the pipe? How's your weight doing?

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
return of the ex-man?! Nice!!! Keep after those Trader Joes sandwiches, and you're gonna lose that manly 39" waist... ;)

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
What's up bro! Between school, work and sex crazy girlfriends my time has been locked lately :D

Thankfully the semester is just about over and I am going to have time to come pester you guys again... I'm even going to try and cut down to compete in the 242lb weight class, imagine that :D

How about you bro, you have any comps in the pipe? How's your weight doing?
well its sounds like things are going well for, that's great

you at 242? don't turn to the side, we might not be able to see ya haha .. what are you currently at?

right now i'm sitting at 206 around a true 10% and i've been natty since my last show .. which is great because i started dieting last at 205 around 13%

however i fear i'm gonna lose some weight as my finals are about to kick into high gear and i've already taken the past two weeks of the gym and unfortunately will definitely have to take next week off as well .. its also hard for me to get all my meals in currently .. but such is life

no comps planned any time for at least the next two years ... i wanna get up to 230 or so before i diet down again .. i figure then i could come in at 198 at 5'8 and be just where i should be at as a light heavy

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Almonds!....everyone should be eating Almonds (or any nuts, but almonds are best)

they also have whole wheat pizza dough now premade and what not..you can make a nice pizza using that and some low fat mozzerella and some Ricotta cheese....F the tomato sauce cuz most probably has HFCS in it..

any kind of lowfat dairy should be in the diet IMO cheese..milk...the other day i had a 1% mlik sugar free or no sugar added chocolate milk...**** was good.

of course chicken in a can (like the tuna)...or the salmon in a can..etc.

shrimp are good also.....some shrimp/brocolli can't go wrong

water chestnuts are good also...low cal and high fiber..they give an awesome crunch and texture to just about anything...

have some of those, turkey bacon and egg/egg white omelette...:burger:

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
well its sounds like things are going well for, that's great

you at 242? don't turn to the side, we might not be able to see ya haha .. what are you currently at?

right now i'm sitting at 206 around a true 10% and i've been natty since my last show .. which is great because i started dieting last at 205 around 13%

however i fear i'm gonna lose some weight as my finals are about to kick into high gear and i've already taken the past two weeks of the gym and unfortunately will definitely have to take next week off as well .. its also hard for me to get all my meals in currently .. but such is life

no comps planned any time for at least the next two years ... i wanna get up to 230 or so before i diet down again .. i figure then i could come in at 198 at 5'8 and be just where i should be at as a light heavy
I'm currently sitting at about 258 or so, been dieting down since a week before thanksgiving. Started a bit slow, but the weight has been melting off now that I've really dialed the eating. I've been partying like a mofo over the last couple of months I'm not much leaner than I was in the pics from right after I got off the juice... Soon to change though :)

Don't stress too much about small setbacks man, they happen, you're in killer shape and you've got some good size on you. School is super important and you will come back really fast after the layoff, so it's all gravy. Just do whatever it takes to be happy and everything else will take care of itself.

brogers

Awards
  • Established
Anyone have thoughts on Maverick Naturalite 4% fat ground beef?

I eat alot, as it is easy to prepare, and isn't high in fat at all like typical ground beef.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
cottage cheese plus frozen blackberries
blackberries are really high in fiber

chef boyardee 99% fat free ravioli
^^ watch the sodium on that one though

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Kraft parmesean cheese.

Low (1.5 grms) in fat with 0 carbs.

Good for your Sweet potatoes...and chicken parmesean.

I put the stuff on everything.

They have diff kinds of Parm ... make sure you read the info on the back.

Last edited:

raudyboy3

Board Supporter
Awards
:nutkick: great list dude. since i'm new to this sport, what combos do i do for daliy meals?

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
:nutkick: great list dude. since i'm new to this sport, what combos do i do for daliy meals?

It would be best to choose a lean protein plus a low gi carb. Then just throw in some good fats every now and then.

x_muscle

Awards
  • Established
Tofu

Apples

Heavy grain breads

oat-bran

lintel

WAHCHING

Awards
heres my list, its very plain.

Chicken Breast
Tuna
Salmon
Spinach
Carrots
Onions
Lettuce
Natty PB
Eggs
Cottage Cheese
Oilve Oil
Oats
Skim Milk
Brown Rice

homer55

Awards
Homemade granola: Get some rolled oats. Drizzle with a little oil and then bake and the oven at 350 until turning golden. (You have to experiment with this to get it right. Use your judgment the first few times.) Put oats in a big bowl. With a coffee grinder, grind up some flax seeds, then some almonds. Put each in the bowl when done. Add some toasted wheat germ. (Get this stuff at a food-coop or health food store bulk if you can.) Add some sunflower seeds. Shake in a bunch of cinnamon. Just keep going with the cinnamon because it is good for you and you'd be surprised how much you can use. Mix everything together. For a sweetener, drizzle some honey or maple syrup over the granola and mix it in thoroughly in batches. (I use cane syrup.) Put in as much or as little as you like of all the ingredients. I thought I'd contribute this although it isn't exactly a list. I hope this is OK. But I'll add a short list also:

Tilapia fillets -- shake some blackened redfish seasoning on them and sautee in olive oil
Lean ground beef
Boneless chicken breasts
Yogurt
Granola - see above
Hunan chicken - extra spicy and light on the oil
Stouffer's bistro dinners -- I'm too busy to cook all the time.
Sweet potatoes
Beans, peas
Asparagus, broccoli
Any kind of mushroom
Anything spicy or made with curry