Opinions on best type of diet for losing fat but improving performance in sport?

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys I know this is slightly off topic for the "fat loss" forum but I would like to hear some opinions on what type of diet is best for weight loss/fat loss while maintaining exercise performance for a sport like boxing? For me low carb diets really help me lose weight and rip up, BUT my exercise performance goes into the crapper as well as my recovery.

So what does everyone think works best. I realize it is somewhat idividual but I just want to hear opinions, I am willing to do the research on my own and I don't expect you guys to lay it out for me. Thanks.

Mr.50

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
if u like how low carb 'rips u up' try carb cycling with low, med, and high carb days.

other than that a 40/40/20

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So the carb cycling idea is

Day 1 low carb high fat high protein

Day 2 Medium carb medium fat high protein

Day 3 High Carb low fat high protein

repeat.

Is this correct? Also when you say high carb for a 200lb male with 10%bf what level of carbs in grams are we talking here?

As far as the 40/40/20 goes, is that 40 Carb/ 40 Protein/ 20 Fat or is the Fat and the Protein reversed. Thanks.

Mr.50

if u like how low carb 'rips u up' try carb cycling with low, med, and high carb days.

other than that a 40/40/20

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
no never go low healthy fats. low healthy fats decrease testostrone

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
TwinPeak's carb cycling is a very good plan: http://www.avantlabs.com/magmain.php?issueID=15&pageID=159

He recommends keeping fat low all the time so there is no change in macronutrients except for carbs and that decrease in carbs will provide a calorie reduction on low and med carb days.
I run a similar diet to TP's version. I mainly adjust carbs protein remains high and fat remains low. We need fat in our diets but not trans or saturated.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
theres a slew of different ways to do carb cycling, in the link posted if u do it that way, u can eat as much carbs as u want on high carb day...aslong as they are from the list.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Carbohydrates are essential for any sort of performance. I would suggest a 40/40/20 split or if anything, go higher on the carbs. This of course can be altered on non-competition days, but I would still never go less than 40%.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do you guys feel that the carb cycling diets allow enough carbs to not negatively affect performance?

As far as the 40/40/20 split, is that Cho/Pro/Fat?

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
As far as the 40/40/20 split, is that Cho/Pro/Fat?
Yes, but as DT said you could probably get away w/ more carbs, say 35p/50c/15f on training days. I wouldn't recommend carb cycling just because you will be doing such high intensity exercise that you will need the extra carbs. Plus carbs cycling is just a pain in the ass to set up.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
For me low carb diets really help me lose weight and rip up, BUT my exercise performance goes into the crapper as well as my recovery.

Mr.50
I think you pretty much answer your own question right here. You kinda need to decide whats important to you. If its performance, carbs are essential.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I guess you are right but because I am in a weight class sport, and would probably increase my chances of success in a lighter weight class it is a tough decision.
I think you pretty much answer your own question right here. You kinda need to decide whats important to you. If its performance, carbs are essential.