3 CKD Questions

willjohnson33

Awards
I have a couple of questions regarding the CKD diet

1) I am doing 3 workouts over 5 days using the following split
Day 1 - arms, Day 2 - legs, Day 3 - Rest, Day 4 - Chest/Back Day 5 - Rest
This obviously doesn't work to the M-F schedule on the CKD diet. Does that matter or do I just take advantage of the carb loading on the weekend for when workouts hit on those days.

2) During the carb loading, the article above says that you should consume 10-12 grams per kg of lean body weight. Is that in one day or over the 2 day period? It seems to me that it means over the period given that 10-12 grams per my 73kg of lean body weight equates to 768 grams of carbs, which would be 3000 calories in carbs along.

3) It says to consume just 1 gram of protein for each lb of lean body weight which seems like too little. That would equate to just 161 grams of protein and I would think that I should be consuming more like 225 grams, which would be 1.4x lean body weight.

Any comments are appreciated.
will

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
1) I am doing 3 workouts over 5 days using the following split
Day 1 - arms, Day 2 - legs, Day 3 - Rest, Day 4 - Chest/Back Day 5 - Rest
This obviously doesn't work to the M-F schedule on the CKD diet. Does that matter or do I just take advantage of the carb loading on the weekend for when workouts hit on those days.
You still need to replenish glycogen, otherwise your training will suffer. I'd recommend most people not go linger that 10-14 days between carb-ups and if you go that long , you better carb up heavily IMO.
If you don't want to do the carb ups (even minimal of 12-24 hrs), thenm you may be better served with a TKD, where you take in cabrs prior to workouts as well as PW and do not carb up on weekends.

2) During the carb loading, the article above says that you should consume 10-12 grams per kg of lean body weight. Is that in one day or over the 2 day period? It seems to me that it means over the period given that 10-12 grams per my 73kg of lean body weight equates to 768 grams of carbs, which would be 3000 calories in carbs along.
There are different thoughts on carb-up target. I like to just flip both the fat and carb target ratio's and not exceed increasing cals for those days by more than about 20% if you can.

3) It says to consume just 1 gram of protein for each lb of lean body weight which seems like too little. That would equate to just 161 grams of protein and I would think that I should be consuming more like 225 grams, which would be 1.4x lean body weight.
1 to 1.5 grams per lb should be fine for most. Some feel as little as .8 grams per lb is enough. But obviously the exact minimum amount would have to take into accoung lean body mass, training level and intensity as well as genetics to some extent.

If you feel better at 1.4 or 1.5 .......then do it :D.

You really must find and tweak your own keto as you will find, for best results. The guidelines and recommendations people may give are only starting points IMO.

PEACE

willjohnson33

Awards
Thanks for the response.

As far as the first question, I probably wasn't clear. I plan on doing the carb loading, but in the CKD article, you essentially do the carb loading when you aren't working out and depending on where I am at in my cycle I will be working out on at least one or both days during the weekend. I just wanted to know if that mattered? Ie. is it important to not workout when you are loading your carbs so that they are "stored" for your workouts the following week?

Thanks again

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
On carb-ups, I read 8g/kg body weight first day. Then, drop to 5g/kg body weight the 2nd day.

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
Thanks for the response.

. I just wanted to know if that mattered? Ie. is it important to not workout when you are loading your carbs so that they are "stored" for your workouts the following week?

Thanks again
No, but you should take into account that you need a bit more carbs for a proper carb up if you are training those days.

PEACE