Need help constucting a TRUE heart healthy diet

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I know this is not a fat loss topic, but I'm hoping I could glean come knowledge from some of you elders...

My dad just came out of some pretty intensive open heart surgery six months ago. He has a stint in every major artery except one. He has also been hospitalized twice before for heart issues. In addition to this, he is troubled with high blood pressure, irregular heart rythym (sp?), and must take blood thinning medication to the point where even a bruise becomes a nuisance.

After talking to him, I am troubled because he is currently not eating very healthy (mostly fast food). He is willing to change his diet, but needs foods that are easy to prepare as cooking is not too easy for him.

he is currently taking coumadin, plavix, aspirin, and blood pressure and heart rythym meds, as well as some meds for intestinal issues because some bowel had to be removed due to a very had hernia which occured at the same time as the heart surgery. He told me that dark green veggies are a no-no due to their effect on blood thickness.

Unfortunately, supplements are not an option since interactions cannot be predicted with all the meds he's taking and his heart health is on too thin of a line to experiment with celery seed, hawthorne, etc.

SO- what I'm asking for help with is to construct a simple shopping list of easy to prepare, heart healthy foods. We need foods that can possible reduce hardened arteries and plaque in the blood vessels.

EFAs and an elimination of trans. and sat. fat comes to mind, but I would appreciate any help you guys can give me! Surely there must be some foods that have been proven to be heart healthy.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
First dark leafy vegetables are only a no-no if he usually never eats them. Consistency is the key with coumadin. It's the Vit K that is an antagonist to the coumadin. If he wants to start eating green leafy veggies, green tea, cauliflower & broccoli.... Inform his doctor and he can adjust his dose. Probably goes in frequently to get his INR checked anyway.

Don't want to bum you out but calcified arterial plaque won't be removed via diet. There is a procedure that is similar to an angioplasty that they perform, can't remember the name. Roto-clear?

Skinless Chicken Breast
Fish, oily fish especially (bluefish, salmon, trout)
Lean beef
skim or 1% milk
whole grain breads
Limit salt to ~ 2grams/day
fresh fruits and veggies
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
the list could go on

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I didn't know plaque could not be removed. What exactly is it, a sort of permanent, hardened cholesterol?

In any case, I know an improved diet can at least help with energy and cholesterol. Are there any other foods I should avoid besides dark leafy vegetables? Of course, he's not interested in gaining muscle so a bodybuiding diet is not necessary, but are the macro breakdowns similar? Should I just aim for 40/40/20?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I didn't know plaque could not be removed. What exactly is it, a sort of permanent, hardened cholesterol?

In any case, I know an improved diet can at least help with energy and cholesterol. Are there any other foods I should avoid besides dark leafy vegetables? Of course, he's not interested in gaining muscle so a bodybuiding diet is not necessary, but are the macro breakdowns similar? Should I just aim for 40/40/20?
Calcium attaches to deposited cholesterol. It can be removed, but takes a surgical procedure. I am unaware of any study or conclusive evidence that any dietary intervention actually reduces existing calcification. Prevent, yes.

Like I said I wouldn't avoid dark leafy greens. Discuss with Doctor the addition of them and coumadin levels can be adjusted according to INR. It's the Vit K in the dark leafies and such. More Vit K=less coumadin works, Less vitamin K=more coumadin works which can also be detrimental.

I like the 40/40/20 idea because it will help control blood sugar levels. Elevated BS's can lead to elevated Trig's and subsequently increased risk for deposition of plaque, especially in the diabetic (IDDM & NIDDM)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
bump on the Extra Virgin Olive Oil (helps restore lipids so very quickly), COQ10 is great too but $$$ - if you're into supplements. All bran cereal (you can dump it in shakes and blend) great fiber source.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I know this is not a fat loss topic, but I'm hoping I could glean come knowledge from some of you elders...

My dad just came out of some pretty intensive open heart surgery six months ago. He has a stint in every major artery except one. He has also been hospitalized twice before for heart issues. In addition to this, he is troubled with high blood pressure, irregular heart rythym (sp?), and must take blood thinning medication to the point where even a bruise becomes a nuisance.

After talking to him, I am troubled because he is currently not eating very healthy (mostly fast food). He is willing to change his diet, but needs foods that are easy to prepare as cooking is not too easy for him.

he is currently taking coumadin, plavix, aspirin, and blood pressure and heart rythym meds, as well as some meds for intestinal issues because some bowel had to be removed due to a very had hernia which occured at the same time as the heart surgery. He told me that dark green veggies are a no-no due to their effect on blood thickness.

Unfortunately, supplements are not an option since interactions cannot be predicted with all the meds he's taking and his heart health is on too thin of a line to experiment with celery seed, hawthorne, etc.

SO- what I'm asking for help with is to construct a simple shopping list of easy to prepare, heart healthy foods. We need foods that can possible reduce hardened arteries and plaque in the blood vessels.

EFAs and an elimination of trans. and sat. fat comes to mind, but I would appreciate any help you guys can give me! Surely there must be some foods that have been proven to be heart healthy.
my mom had heart surgery 2 yrs ago...on lasix, blood thinners,....u name it she is on it.....(still to this day)....

I got her the book/cookbook..american heart assoc book ( barns and nobles, borders).....very helpful