40/40/20 convert(i hope)..critique

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
I am finally going to try this 40/40/20 and i need help with my diet.

here goes. oh and........ 17(a week agao) 200 lbs 20-25% bf 5'7-8

meal 1: 1 chicken breast
1 cup raw oats
1 cup skim milk
1 tbsp olive oil

meal 2: 1 chicken breast
1 cup of brown rice
1 serving of syntrax matrix 5.0
1 cup skim milk
3 fish oils

post workout: 1 serving whey isolate, 40-50 grams comlex carb

meal 4(20-30mins later) 2 chicken breast or 1/2 lb of lean beef
1 cup of oats or brown rice
1 serving of syntrax matrix 5.0

meal 5: pre bed- 1 serving casien shake or matrix 5.0
1 cup of milk
1 tbsp of mct oil

there ya go, that all comes out to around a 40/40/20 or close to it
i aming for 200+ protein, 200+ carbs and 50+/- fat.

i cant eat to frequently because of school, but instead of going 7+ hours without eating, i will have a handfull of almonds and a mini wheat bagel in between classes.

please critique and perfect.

thank you.

oh and i lift 4 days a week( DC training) and will walk for 45 mins 4-5 days a week.

TBigs

Awards
Right off the bat, too much shakes. Keep the shakes for pre and post workout and drop the rest and replace with real food.

Also you might want to figure out exactly how much calories and breakdown is in what you posted.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
k, in meal 4 ill drop the shake, what do u suggest i eat for that extra protein.....i have a low paying job and have to buy all my extra food......but i guess i could combine 2 small chicken brest and 1/2 lb of lean beef.

and before bed what else do i do there? justextra milk and maybe some egg whites?

thanks for the reply.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
k, in meal 4 ill drop the shake, what do u suggest i eat for that extra protein.....i have a low paying job and have to buy all my extra food......but i guess i could combine 2 small chicken brest and 1/2 lb of lean beef.

and before bed what else do i do there? justextra milk and maybe some egg whites?

thanks for the reply.
my specialty, low income eating. :type:

skim milk, eggs, oatmeal, tuna, canned beans, lean beef, chicken, broccoli, these are a few of my favorite things........

i get by on 8 meals a day with a 500/500/100 split on ~5 bucks a day with these foods. also, how much is that kind of protein, and what is special about it? FWIW, i make my own MRP's with ATW whey protein and ground up oatmeal.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
Beelzebub is right on the money. The first diet is awful, you need to concentrate on whole foods and the right ones. There is not a single fruit or vegetable in your diet. Micro nutrients are just as important as macro nutrients.
For fat loss focus on lean proteins (chicken, tuna, egg whites, skim milk, lean beef, lowfat yogurt, low fat cottage cheese), vegeatbles (anything green and leafy), fresh fruits in moderation (apples, berries), and healthy fats (flax oil, Udo's choice, Extra Virgin olive oil). Throw in some starchy carbs during post workout (ww begals, oatmeal) and you'll be on your way.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys, def learning alot here.......oh and about the vegatable thing......all my meals have a small side salad usually but i might try some different things like broccoli.

heres the diet revised( still might not be perfect)

meal 1: chicken breast OR 2 eggs 5 whites
1 cup oats
sliced green apple
1-2 cups of milk
tbsp of mct oil

-go to school-

snack: handfull of almonds
1 serving of beef jerky
half of green apple
4 fish oils

- before last class of day-

snack: mini ww bagel
handful almonds
other half of apple
4 fish oils

meal 2: pre wo- 1 chicken breast
bowl of greens
protein shake
tbsp of mct oil

meal 3: post wo- whey isolate shake
half cup of oats
30-40 grams of dex or malto
bowl of salad or broccoli

meal 4: half lb of lean ground beef or a chicken breast and some egg whites
bowl of salad
3 cups of milk
tbsp of olive oil( extra virgin)

there it is, that really should be 6 meals but i counted the smaller ones as snacks. shopuld be a bit better.

thanks again

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
instead of having chicken breast pre wo just have some whey and carbs...instead eat the chicken at lunch with some complex carbs and cut out a snack.

I know the guys said to cut your reliance on shakes but they were not referring to pre and post wo, they were referring to your other meals.

Actually it wouldn't be that hard to structure your dialy schedule like this:

breakfast
lunch
pre wo
post wo
meal 5-1 hour after workout
meal 6- ex: cottage cheese before bed

plus you have the added benefit of not snacking and eating real meals that will keep you full

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
ill keep that in mind...its just the snacks are waaay easier and will take me a few minutes to eat....plus i have zero problem with appetite...some days i find it hard to get all that food down.

but im all about results so keep the suggestrions coming.

thanks

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
shoot more towards 2700-2800 for a couple of weeks and see how you progress, just be sure to keep it clean. Also, keep the fruits (or drop altogether) to the morning or around your workout and drop the fat before your wo, it's the worst time for it.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
^ alright, ill drop the apples at school and fat preWO. and 2700-2800 cals!?!?!?!?!

ill see how that goes....also, is there anything wrong with beef jerky....i mean if u dont overdo it? it has little fat and lots of protein and its simple.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
honestly, I always thought that jerky was too expensive. Can't you just pack a lunch and have a chicken breast and some multigrain bread? Make a chicken sandwich, or a couple of tuna sandwiches? Then right before school is over make a shake and eat some carbs. I think this would be a whole lot cheaper than a tiny 5-bucks-a-bag jerky.

And yes 2700-2800, just keep your diet the same the entire time and see if you looes any weight the 2nd week. Don't worry about gaining weight the first because your body needs time to adjust.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
alright.....and i work at kroger and i get the jerky free. plus i have like 10 bags sitting here right now.

say i have breakfast and my snacks( i m trying to avoid bringing chicken to school cause of short lunches and trying to save it and ect) and right before school is over i have a shake and some carb source( dextrose or malto, i dont have a cofee bean grinder to grind oats, unless theres another way) when i get home about 30 or so mins pre wo can i have another meal and then workout?

thanks for all the help

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
I just noticed, your only 17! Congratulations, it's not easy at that age especially when everyone else is out eating burgers and pizza. dsl has you covered with some great suggestions. A sliced chicken breast sandwich on whole wheat bread along with a baggie of baby carrots would make a nice easy meal to take with you at school. As for the fruit, I wouldn't worry about it too much. At 17 you're still developing and need all the nutrients that fruits have to offer. Apples in particular have a low GI (38), and at 20%-25% BF, they are not going to slow your progress. You could even throw in 1/2 cup of blueberies or strawberries in your oatmeal. Like dsl said, just try to get them in on your first 2-3 meals rather than late in the day. And I also agree with dsl on the 2700-2800 cals/day. You need to get your metabolism up, if you start out at 2000 you have no where to go when progress slows. If you're shooting for a 40/40/20 split your daily total should be 275g-P, 275g-C,60g-F, that would give you 2750 cals/day.
There are a lot of great diet tips on this board, just have a look around. For breakfast, try a spinach and mushroom omlet (1 cup chopped spinach, 1 cup sliced mushrooms, 1 whole egg, 5 whites) and a bowl of oatmeal with some berries. Keep working the diet and post it for feedback...

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
yeah i turned 17 last friday(9th) it is pretty tough to keep up with a good diet but i want to ' reveal the steel' if u will, that took me quite sometime to put on, i mean a little over a year ago i was 35+ bf at 155-170 lbs...wasnt to pretty.

thanks for the good posting.....it might take some time but ill get my shi*t together. fitday.com will definatley come in handy.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
alright.....and i work at kroger and i get the jerky free. plus i have like 10 bags sitting here right now.

say i have breakfast and my snacks( i m trying to avoid bringing chicken to school cause of short lunches and trying to save it and ect) and right before school is over i have a shake and some carb source( dextrose or malto, i dont have a cofee bean grinder to grind oats, unless theres another way) when i get home about 30 or so mins pre wo can i have another meal and then workout?
thanks for all the help
So are you wanting to have a pre wo shake then go home and have a pre wo meal? I don't see the point. What time do you generally workout? You can have your shake up to an hour before you workout if you are worried about time.

As far as jerky, go ahead since its free, personally I would just rather have the chicken, then again I could eat it at every meal...lol. Don't go hogwild on the nuts because there arequite a few grams of fat per oz. Just look at the numbers Gtoman put up--60g isn't that much.

As for grinding oats I used to have 12 oz of milk, 9 cubes of ice, 1 cup of oats, and 2 scoops of whey and just blend them all together. The oats blend really well and it was very thick,just like a shake...sooo damn good!!!!!!!

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
mmm ill try that grinding oats thing.

and i wanted to have a meal pre wo after my shake because it will be already around 4 oclock with only 1-2 meals in.

i already cut out the almonds, im gonna stick with fish.mct/and olive oil for my fat sources.

OH, and what about off days....do i keep diet the same?

thanks

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
mmmm i grinded up oats in my protein in the morning( off day so i have 1-2 shakes in morning and/or before bed) and it tastes awesome!

it had small oat chunks at the bottom( kinda like ground flax seed) and they tasted so good......cant wait to try it withother proteins.........i never even thought off using a blender until now, it makes shakes o much smoother, damn i have been missing out.

also i have another question......is my 45 minutes of walking going to cut it? it will be on workout days sometime in the later evening. I am active all day( pushing carts at my job and having team sports at school) just wondering b/c walking is kool, i just bring a tennis ball and its over before i know it.

thanks

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
mmmm i grinded up oats in my protein in the morning( off day so i have 1-2 shakes in morning and/or before bed) and it tastes awesome!

it had small oat chunks at the bottom( kinda like ground flax seed) and they tasted so good......cant wait to try it withother proteins.........i never even thought off using a blender until now, it makes shakes o much smoother, damn i have been missing out.

also i have another question......is my 45 minutes of walking going to cut it? it will be on workout days sometime in the later evening. I am active all day( pushing carts at my job and having team sports at school) just wondering b/c walking is kool, i just bring a tennis ball and its over before i know it.

thanks
see, I know how to make a shake, but play w/ the consistency to make it thicker and better.

Try not to have so many shakes, real food is always better... Just eat eggs they are cheap as hell.

As for cardio read this:

http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18791

I also recommend doing a search for all of bobo's and leanone's posts, since they really seem to post the most about diet.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
^ that cardio thread is exactley what i wanted to hear.

anyway ....ive gainined a little bit of weight( maintained at best) but waist is already coming down a little......easy to follow and im almost nailing my ratios.

now if i could just perfect it and not even have to use fitday.....but i doubt it as i must adjust accordingly if my weight goes down.

on off days should i cut the cals a little? like 2200 or something or should i still keep them high? kinda like a zig-zag deal? and i find that my fat is very low until the end of the day( around evening when i cut my carbs) is this alright....i get a good 15-20 from meal 1 to meal 3 and then the remaining 30-40 later on in the day from fattier cuts of meat or some kind of oil.

oh and i want to say again, thanks for everyones help......i didnt realize how lost i was without it.

heres how my diet was so far today.

meal 1 ( woke up late and HAD to have protein shake)

1 scoop of protein
2 cups of milk
1 green apple
1 cup of oat( they are growing on me)

meal 2

3 cups of milk
2 chicken breast( thin sliced)
1-1/2 cups brown rice
1 green apple

meal 3
some lean beaf( im guessing 8oz worth)
3 slices of whole grain bread
leafy greens with olive oil based vinegarrette

meal 4( leter in the day, met skirting the line of carb limit)
4 oz beef jerkey

meal 5- havent had yet but i need an extra 100 grams of protein and 40 grams of fat

so im guessing...chicken breast
2 tbsb mct oil
bowl of spinach

meal 5 ( pre bed)

2 whole eggs and 3 whites
2tbsp MCT oil
1 tbsp olive oil

serving of protein shake( damnit)

still not all there probably but im getting better.

would it be wise to magadose BCAA's or should i save that for later on?

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
don't worry about the carb cutoff, forget about the supps...just get the diet down first. Also the 3 tblspoons of fat seem a bit excessive in one meal.

if you are not exercising on a particular day logic would tell you that you won't use as many calories just don't go too low.

everything else looks pretty good. Whats the cals on this?

Also you can't go wrong w/ cottage cheese before bed.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
k, so far cals today have been around 2442( according to fitday) i guess ill skip on the shake tonight and just leave it at that....is that too low.

im still walking on these off days, on workout days cals are aroung 2700-2800.

and i didnt have the 3 spoons of fat, that was a typo it should hae said "or"...sorry

this week was my week off to recuperate after 12+ weeks of torcher, i forgot about breaks and thik i have overtrained a little ( always lethargic, wicked headaches, feel like crap ect) but i feel good right now....ill prolly be back at it by wednesday......gonna kill the logbook some more while cutting.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
just be sure to do this for 2 weeks so you can see what your body does. And don't change your diet during this time.

Also take some measurements w/ a tape or something because the scale doesn't tell the whole picture.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
yep, dont plan on changing it....i measure my waist every morning with my myotape and periodically my arms to see if those are losing cm's like my waist.

after this 2 weeks do i just gradually drop cals?

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
im starting to think about hiring bobo( if he accepts my age) it would reap benefits later on too, with me knowing what sound nutrition looks like.

but maybe ill wait till im arount the 15% range or something....u dont know how bad i want to just get my cash together( most of wich is invested, but i save half of my paychecks sometimes for 'fun') and purchase that 8 week program.

anyway, diet so far is going smoothly......it may be water but im losing my waist pretty quickly, staying at the same weight and not lifting this week. so far so good i suppose.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I would definately hire Bobo. I'm a client and have only lost about 5 lbs but dropped 2 pant sizes (34 to 32). Go for it you won't be disappointed!!!!!!!!

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
I trained with Bobo as well on the muscle building program. I'd highly recommend him as well. If you're getting the results you want I'd stick with your current program and when things start to slow down or stall, instead of trying to make changes yourself, that would be the time to hire Bobo. Also, make sure you're ready to work your ass off before you hire him :)

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
work my ass off, how could i ever see results if i didnt ;)

im considering it.....could i stick to my current routine.....its what has worked EXTREMELY well for me and it still is, i get stronger every week...and its not newbie gains( damn do i miss those) and just follow his diet?

and by work my ass off do u mean its like ud2.0 work ur ass off?

i really really really want to try ectotropin-6 everything i have read about the 'tropins is amazing....i know im young and just need to focus on training and diet but c'mon dont tell me u dont get all tingly inside when u read about igf-1

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
What I meant by work you ass off is that Bobo's plan requires a fair amount of time and dedication both with the workouts and meal timing/preperation. All I'm suggesting is that your at a point where you're not going to be missing meals or workouts due to exams, sports, girls, parties, part time job, etc. I remember what it's like to be 17, it's not easy!

I'd lay off anything other than solid nutrition and training for now. You're only 17 and have your whole life ahead of you.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
i never miss workouts...meals i cant say the same for......ill still give it some thought, idk yet. how inconvenient would it be if i had....school, work, random projects/essays/homework?

also how much is the grocery bill (approx)

thanks

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
i'm a pre med junior in college and I have time if that tells you anything

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
what would i have to take to school? ( dont have to be specific if its telling me something secret)

and what kinda workouts are they?, i workout at home ( powerrack, oly bar w/ 500+ in weight, ez bar, oly dummbells, adjustable bench ect) so could i still do them or do they require machines like ud2.0( it was hard putting together a routine) damn i need a membership to golds or somethnig.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
you will probably have to bring 2 meals to school and they are VERY portable; plus, I's sure you have a locker so you can put the food in there and keep the meat cool. I walk around campus with the stuff in my backpack and don't have any problems. As long as you don't mind eating at other times than lunch it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the exercises I don't really use too many machines but the weights that I use require so many different dumbell that it is just easier to go to a gym. I am sure you could talk to bobo and see what he thinks about your equipment though.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
^ helpful posting

i'd make it so one meal would be at lunch( where i'd have the time to eat and without getting caught by a teacher)

and one would be in the car on the way home from school.

and, is the grocery bill alot? i dont get paid sh*t at kroger and because of school and working out i only work 25 hours a week.( any more than that would just screw my lifting and eating habits and it'd be a mess.)

thanks

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
i can get away w/ about 50 bucks a week...mind you that's for 42 meals.

And I am pretty sure your beloved jerky will have to go...lol.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
^ i can get rid of the beef jerkey...easy..i just hope i dont have to eat tuna.

and how many days a week would i train? right now i do wednesday thursday saturday and sunday. i take those two workout days off of work...is something like this workable?

ive heard about leg days.....im a widowmaker guy( 20 rep squats) hardest thing in lifting i have ever done....period.....how bad is bobo's?

oh and a little update...my waist and weight is fluctuating like mad...i think it would be best to check it weekly.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
are you crazy, tuna is a bodybuilder's best friend...lol.

Just sign up, you and bobo can work out all of the details and get you workout schedule set so that it works for you.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
when i get my next paycheck its goin down( so the plan is thus far)

now all i gotta do is convince my parents

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
i don't know if you drink or not (i hope not) but my parents thought it was a big plus when I told them I wasn't going to be drinking due to my program.

Also, just let them know this is knowledge that you will have for the rest of your life.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
ill do my best to convince them......

and if i do sign up with bobo....i am going to do it for waaaaay more than 8 weeks, and from what i remember its only $50 dollars every additional month right??

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
should i do the deluxe weight loss or the basic muscle buiding/fat loss one?

I like the basic one because i would get to work with my existing routine and i would just get the awesome diet......im thinking about it still.

anyyone have experience with the basic program?

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
should i do the deluxe weight loss or the basic muscle buiding/fat loss one?

I like the basic one because i would get to work with my existing routine and i would just get the awesome diet......im thinking about it still.

anyyone have experience with the basic program?
i am doing the deluxe, but I don't know that much about exercise science, plus I have access to the university gym. For the extra cash I know that I am getting a routine that can build or sustain muscle. And I have put on a few lbs of muscle while cutting, but I'm also relatively fat.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
Go for the deluxe plan, there is no guess work involved. Bobo gives you an entire meal plan, workout plan, and shopping list. As for the equipment, I workout at home with a similar setup to yours, no fancy equipment is required. Like dsl said, just tell Bobo what you have and he'll let you know what lifts you can substitute if required. And yes, it's $50.00/month after the initial 8 weeks. Also, the routine on the deluxe plan is awsome, chances are you've never tried anything quite like it.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
sweet, i cant wait.....im pretty much definatley going to do this now....get my paycheck tomorrow so ill have the cash...will order tuesday sometime.

unless something comes up....damn i hope not.

IMPORTANT....i think i may have asked this but is a, tues, thurs.....sat, sun routine going to be workable?? or should i adhust my availability on my work schedule. i dont want to work out more than 2 days on weekdays because that would kill my hours.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
sweet, i cant wait.....im pretty much definatley going to do this now....get my paycheck tomorrow so ill have the cash...will order tuesday sometime.

unless something comes up....damn i hope not.

IMPORTANT....i think i may have asked this but is a, tues, thurs.....sat, sun routine going to be workable?? or should i adhust my availability on my work schedule. i dont want to work out more than 2 days on weekdays because that would kill my hours.
It all depends on which plan you sign up for. That's what I was getting at when I said be prepared to make the commitment. I was on the Deluxe Muscle Building Plan and during that time I was either eating, lifting, or shiting! I also grew like a weed so it was well worth it.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I also grew like a weed so it was well worth it.
I'll say you did, wasn't it like 15 lbs in 10 weeks and you dropped some fat!!!!

dantman: My current split is 5 days so you may have to add a day, but it's not like they take a whole day so you may be able to get this to work around your schedule or workout at night. At any rate good luck

This makes me wish I had had the dedication at your age to get into lifting, just imagine how big you'll be in a couple of years!!