20 bucks for bodyfat analysis?

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I this a lot or average? I don't want to get ripped off...and it will be measured using calipers.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
You could just buy some calipers and learn to do it yourself for less than $20.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
i do have a caliper and I suck at measuring, I want someone more experienced so that I can learn what to do myself...eventually

shatfield

Board Supporter
Awards
Your gym doesn't do it for free? All I've ever had to do was to ask one of the trainers (the ones that knew what the hell they were doing), and they'd measure for me for free.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
ou's gym doesn't have personal trainers, so I have to use another gym's trainers

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
its just 20 bucks .. its not much at all .. if that's all you have access to then go for it .. if it were like 50 or more i'd say get outta here .. but for 20 bucks just go for it

... how many sites do they use? if they don't use at least 7 don't do it

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't call most gym 'trainers' well qualified to perform an accurate skinfold test. For one, they usually use little cheap calipers, then, they also typically do a 3-site skinfold, instead of the infinitely more accurate 7-site... and, to top it off, there is so much turnover among gym staff that you can hardly get the same person to perform the test again later, which is important because different people will measure differently.

Look for a place in your area, often called a human performance lab, that offers multiple and vaired testing like VO2 max, lactate threshhold, etc... these places will typically perform a 7-site skinfold for $10-$15 and do a solid job. Some of them offer hydrostatic weighing as well. I've done that myself, but the 7-site skinfold was virtually identical so I'll stick to that in the future.

I guess it just depends on how much accuracy matters and if you just want a general idea of progress or to really know the best estimate of your BF% and LBM.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
... how many sites do they use? if they don't use at least 7 don't do it
I don't remember...I called one place and they used a 7 site and I think the other used a 9 site; but, they were both 20 buck.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Look for a place in your area, often called a human performance lab, that offers multiple and vaired testing like VO2 max, lactate threshhold, etc... these places will typically perform a 7-site skinfold for $10-$15 and do a solid job. Some of them offer hydrostatic weighing as well. I've done that myself, but the 7-site skinfold was virtually identical so I'll stick to that in the future.

I guess it just depends on how much accuracy matters and if you just want a general idea of progress or to really know the best estimate of your BF% and LBM.
I'll have to check into this because I do very much care about accuracy. You would think they would have one in a college town, especially since this is a research-oriented university.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Sweetass!!!!!! Thanks Dietrying for the idea...I just called around on campus, and what do you know, It looks like they do all of that stuff.

Hopefully, it won't cost an arm and a leg.