More new research!Low-GI may be better for PERFORMANCE as well

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My interest now is more in sports performance than aesthetics, but what do you know...LG may be best for my athletes too.

Improved Recovery from Prolonged Exercise Following the Consumption of Low Glycemic Index Carbohydrate Meals

Emma Stevenson; Clyde Williams; Gareth McComb; Christopher Oram

Abstract
This study examined the effects of the glycemic index (GI) of post-exercise carbohydrate (CHO) intake on endurance capacity the following day. Nine active males participated in 2 trials. On day 1, subjects ran for 90 min at 70% VO2max (R1). Thereafter, they were supplied with either a high GI (HGI) or low GI (LGI) CHO diet which provided 8 g CHO/kg body mass (BM). On day 2, after an overnight fast, subjects ran to exhaustion at 70% VO2max (R2). Time to exhaustion during R2 was longer in the LGI trial (108.9 ± 7.4 min) than in the HGI trial (96.9 ± 4.8 min) (P < 0.05). Fat oxidation rates and free fatty acid concentrations were higher in the LGI trial than the HGI trial (P < 0.05). The results suggest that the increased endurance capacity was largely a consequence of the increased fat oxidation following the LGI recovery diet.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Screw a new computer, I'm buying some cows.

:box: Skim Milk