Have any of you heard about any study's that showed 100% wheat breads........

bizzare_777

Awards
I was told today, that 100% wheat breads have been shown to cause cancer in some people. I'm wonderin if any of you heard anything on this? I have been eating 100% wheat breads for quite some time now. I tell ya, it seems like nothing is safe to consume any more :(

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Klaus- what's the test given to determine gluten allergy?
Actually, a fast emerging area of research is the study of gluten (protein found in wheat) and it's effects in the human body. It's been estimated recently that 1 in 150 americans suffer anywhere from a slight to a severe reaction by injesting even small amounts of gluten-containing foods. In an interesting twist, many of the nasty diseases that are found in so many people these days are starting to show some sort of relation to gluten. No, this isn't celiac; this is something entirely different. I had a blood and stool sample taken and the results showed I have a "double copy" of a gene that is directly linked to individuals who suffer auto-immune reactions to gluten (which means both my mom and dad have the gene). How strange that it was nearly impossible to build and maintain any amount of muscle for the majority of my life; that is, until I eliminated all wheat from my diet. Muscle is pretty easy to build now even without the aid of anabolics.

Oatmeal_King

Awards
It is even scarier to note that gluten / casein interactions with the immune system may be correlated with the drastic increase in autism and related developmental disorders.

Klaus, how long after you elided the gluten from your diet did you notice a difference?

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
can you please find out the name of the test for us?
thanks.

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established
I'd heard something about this, but I'd heard that it was caused by the inevitable molds that nobody wants to think about, developing on the wheat/flour in storage.

lionel

Awards
Yeah really interesting.. i'd love to hear more first hand experience from you guys..

Malek256

Awards
FYI -- for many years I fought with stupid doctors who said "it was in my head" with regards to corn, wheat, table sugar and milk. Makes me feel awful/tired, irritable, interferes with sleep, kept my heart racing and any muscle I'd add would burn off quick.

Fortunately my mom had very little faith in Drs since they'd nearly let her die of missed-but-easily-detectable gall stones after TWO YEARS of complaints...so I saw an "alternative quack" who helped me out big time by making me drop what was then the staples of my diet.

Big growth. Big drag because it's damn hard...

Sound familiar?

Oatmeal_King

Awards
Just a quick note cuz I need to work.

This issue is an example of mainstream medicine at its absolute worst failure of those who put trust in doctors.

There are tens of thousands of kids with developmental disorders who might possibly benefit from elimination of gluten / casein products from their diet. Yet, most mainstream doctors do everything they can to dissuade parents from experimenting with this approach, instead telling them that the problems are incurable and the kids need to be pushed into special ed/school district therapy situations which are often counter productive.

Often, the doctor will insist that there is no science to support the GFCF dietary approach while neglecting to mention that speech/developmental/occupational therapy is total black box voodoo with no scientific support either.

I admit, this is a much more complicated issue than eluded to by the hand waving of the preceeding paragraphs.

For the bodybuilder or athletes who have found they "do better" on a GFCF approach, after eliminating the gluten / casein do you find:

improvements in mood and concentration?
easier time losing stubborn belly fat?
improved immune system / resistance to viral or sinus infections ?

Also:

did you have irritable bowel type symptoms of either extreme(diarhea or constipation) prior to implementing GFCF?

when bulking did it seem like you just added fat rather than lean tissue?

did you gain mass with anabolics even?

did you find you needed rather absurd amounts of protein to recover/grow?

Finally, for any bodybuilders / athletes who use a GFCF approach can you share diet / food selections for a typical day?

Thanks!

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would like to see a sample diet if it would not be too much trouble.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, not doubting that, I was curious as to how a daily meal plan would go without the addition of wheat and or milk products.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
I'm wondering what are the primary foods to stay away from if you are trying to eliminate gluten?

I know breads, but is it all bread? Even those multi-grain crazy ass breads that have almost more protein than carbs?

What about pastas?

This is the first I've heard of gluten allergies, and would like to learn more. Maybe you could point me int he right direction.

Malek256

Awards
With regards to the questions -- yes indeed, all the symptoms. Brain fog the biggest piss off being relatively smart.

Especially relevant is the amazing drop in belly fat that occurred once I truly kept the diet clean of wheat!!!

(FYI: another one for me is aspartame. That stuff messes up my melon but bad...)

Diet-wise it is a struggle. I have started to rely (too heavily) upon weight gainer formulas because I tolerate malto + dextrose really well (hey, why not: corn you see...). Potatoes are my friend, so is brown rice. Tons of veggies during the day.

Milk I allow in breakfast cereal, that's about it. I have been experimenting with allowing fat-free yogurt in (1 small container) daily.

My fatigue is starting again -- either it's too much whey protein (milk...) or dairy products in general.

So I'm trying (again) to swing back to more food-based protein (tuna, eggs, etc.) and veggies. Prime issue is time: I work a lot, have a 1 year old daughter...

KD1

Awards
  • Established
100% Whole Wheat breads also contain estrogens, thats why I only eat Rye. Also Rye does not give you blood sugar a roller coaster ride like 100% WW.

worcesterguy

Awards
gluten

The web site www.celiac.com has some lists and some good links listing what products are and aren't gluten free. Anyone trying to avoid gluten completely and has any questions feel free to PM me. My daughter has celiac disease and she can not have any gluten.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
For those who have gluten/casein problems, I suggest trying out spelt in place of wheat and goat's milk in place of cow. These have been great additions to my diet. An added bonus is that goats milk protein absorbs almost as fast as whey protein and teh fat in goat's milk is more easily digested than that in cow.

ALso worth metioning is buckwheat and quinoa. Buckwheat I think was at some time rumored to be more "anabolic" than other grains, and quinoa is actually a complete protein (but not actually a grain, it's a fruit).

noctorum

Banned
Awards
I was told today, that 100% wheat breads have been shown to cause cancer in some people. I'm wonderin if any of you heard anything on this? I have been eating 100% wheat breads for quite some time now. I tell ya, it seems like nothing is safe to consume any more :(
Everything causes cancer..

mrfantastic5

Banned
Awards
the number 1 in 133 americans pops into my mind

not to be a naysayer

but none yall think placebo effect might be up here a lil bit

Malek256

Awards
Placebo is one thing, evidence via genetic testing is another. This is no placebo; this genetic disposition is very real.
On top of placebo, I frequently encounter guys who want help to cut down before trying to get big. Frustrated ectos.

So they eliminate most sources of gluten because suddenly most of their diet is meat, fish, fowl and vegetables, without much dairy. And often, there is this sudden jump in their lean body mass...they feel great, more energy. Just hungry.

And also often within 2-3 weeks they have a huge drop in belly size.

Anecdotal to be sure but a placebo effect requires knowledge of the supposed impetus which is missing here.

When they go back to bulking I ask them to avoid wheat for a week or two. The ones that actually stick to that have better results. Now for those guys, it could be placebo but again I've listed a number of things not to take in so they aren't really looking for the one item...

mrfantastic5

Banned
Awards
well considering many things that have wheat also have carbs in them. elminating that might lead to incrase fat/protien intake which would lead to a curved appetite and also the fat loss.

i mean theres just a x, y and z variables here.. and they depend

on w, v, and t.

mrfantastic5

Banned
Awards
well considering many things that have wheat also have carbs in them. elminating that might lead to incrase fat/protien intake which would lead to a curved appetite and also the fat loss.

i mean theres just a x, y and z variables here.. and they depend

on w, v, and t.
sarcasam on the variables thing but i hope u get my drift

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
what about oatmeal? is it considered gluten free?

Andrew69

Board Supporter
Awards
Klaus and Malek, Interesting stuff!
Im glad to hear you're getting it all sorted and starting to pack on the pounds.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you guys could also try lentils as a carb source (kidney beans, black beans, etc)

Malek256

Awards
L-Glutamine

FYI, L-Glutamine has a calming effect on the bowel which appears to be the reason why "skinny guys" (who, as a group, are more likely to have such issues) do well with supplementing it yet guys who are bigger (and as a group are unlikely to have gluten issues) find it useless.