Lyle Mcdonald Rapid weight loss diet

okboy63

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That's a great read. I've had great success with his UD2.0 diet.

You can find all of his books for purchase here!
When you did your refeeds what carb sources did you use ? Did you eat clean or did you cut loose.

I'm starting to think success with these carb cycling type of things is hinged on how well you carb up.
When i've tried these things in the past my refeeds become a binge or something. I spiral out of control to easy. Even cheat meals are a problem

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
When you did your refeeds what carb sources did you use ? Did you eat clean or did you cut loose.

I'm starting to think success with these carb cycling type of things is hinged on how well you carb up.
When i've tried these things in the past my refeeds become a binge or something. I spiral out of control to easy. Even cheat meals are a problem
Well, I did a little of both. A couple weeks I was strict and ate just whole wheat bagels, oats, sweet potatoes, and such all day long. But a couple weeks I did splurge and have pizza for dinner. Any time I ate unhealthy on the carb-load day, it was only at dinner - I found it easy to stick to clean carb sources during the day.

I believe one of the biggest keys to success is how well you do in the glycogen depletion phase just prior. If you're fully depleted, then even if you eat somewhat dirty carbs, you have a much higher chance of nutrient partitioning and all those excess calories going to refill glycogen stores, etc. If you DON'T do a good job with your depletion, you have more of a chance of spillover into fat stores.

Have you read his Ultimate Diet? I believe it's a superior method to most carb-cycling methods due to the training that goes along with it. But it's not for the faint of heart - it's a rough routine to stick to.

okboy63

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well, I did a little of both. A couple weeks I was strict and ate just whole wheat bagels, oats, sweet potatoes, and such all day long. But a couple weeks I did splurge and have pizza for dinner. Any time I ate unhealthy on the carb-load day, it was only at dinner - I found it easy to stick to clean carb sources during the day.

I believe one of the biggest keys to success is how well you do in the glycogen depletion phase just prior. If you're fully depleted, then even if you eat somewhat dirty carbs, you have a much higher chance of nutrient partitioning and all those excess calories going to refill glycogen stores, etc. If you DON'T do a good job with your depletion, you have more of a chance of spillover into fat stores.

Have you read his Ultimate Diet? I believe it's a superior method to most carb-cycling methods due to the training that goes along with it. But it's not for the faint of heart - it's a rough routine to stick to.
I have read it but never tried it. I think it's mainly for lean people trying to get very lean. I'm in the 20 to 22 percen bodyfat category so that's down the road for me .
I did attempt a carb cycling method suggested by tom Venuto in his book(carb up on the fourth day) but I spun out of control on those as well.I woud start off eating oatmeal or something and 2 hours later I'm face down in a bowl of ice cream.
Refeeding is a good concept but it's dangerous for people that have been fat all there lives. One thing i have found to get me back in control after feasting is to spend a few days eating lots of fat(from meat, dairy) and then back to normal.
For some people it's like telling an alcaholic for for 1 or 2 days a week, drink all you want

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
Yeah, Lyle recommends UD2 for men under 15% bodyfat. I was about 12-13% when I did it and dropped down to 9 something. So I was in the "lean getting leaner" category.

I do agree with you about carb cycling being dangerous for those that have been overweight for a long time, especially for the reasons you mentioned.

IMHO, carb-cycling and related diets should be reserved for lean people trying to get really lean. I've used a twice weekly carb-up approach (Beverly International's approach) for a contest prep with great success. But again, I was already fairly lean and trying to get REAL lean.

In most cases, for folks above 15% bodyfat, simple caloric deficit through diet and exercise can still drop a lot of fat without having to get into more complex strategies. Just eat healthy foods at about 10-15% below maintenance, and do a mix of HIIT and long-duration cardio on a regular basis (in addition to weight training) and you should be golden.

Cheers.

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
LOL. Clutch is my home, but I occasionally browse a few other sites to keep up with what's going on.