Bulk 'n Cut the Gut

1. Banned
    Answers

Bulk 'n Cut the Gut

Alright. I've got a problem. I "bulk" up to 165 from 160 and I can feel the new muscle. Then to cut the fat that has lost some definition in my abs. I know 5 lb bulk is small but I get freak out when I just start gaining so much fat. So. 160 Right Now after cutting off 5 lbs from a Protein Only Diet. I eat cottage cheese and milk but thats it. 6 Meals a Day. Maybe it's just bloat from Carbs but I'd like to be able to gain muscle and fat and then be able to burn off the fat and not the muscle. It's like I gain muscle + fat only to burn it off again. Any Ideas?

7-8% Bf 6'0" 160 Lbs. Rippleyed Abs.

(Edit) I forgot to mention I run 5 times a week 3 miles each time. For a total of 450 Calories burned a day.

2. Advanced Member
    Answers

you need to embrace the fat, it is your friend... Really, it is going to be ard for you to pack on muscle with that low of a bf%.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

amen...it is almost impossible to put on any mass IMO with 7%BF, lol. My advice would be to keep the fat on and go for a larger bulk...say 20-30lbs instead of 5lbs at a time...then once you are 190 cut a little to shave off the extra fat gained.

good luck...and it must be nice to have "rippleyed abs"

regards,
    COTC
    •   

4. Banned
    Answers

Oooh. Now I see. I thought you could gain without the fat.
  5. Gold Member
    Answers

protein only diet?? .. you SERIOUSLY need to reevaluate your diet .. its beyond a bad idea
  6. Banned
    Answers

I've heard that alot, but I do drink milk and eat cottage cheese with lettuce and tomato and every once in awhile oatmeal. Plus apples, oranges, watermelon, bananas and nectarines. I seem to have good energy and my muscle mass increases as steadily as it does while I eat carbohydrates. Only difference I can tell between the two is increased fat with carbs like bread with each meal, cereal, too many oats and spaghetti with or without toast. So please tell me why it's bad.
  7. Board Supporter
    Answers

perhaps you're eating too many refined carbs- white rice, white bread, pasta, potatoes? If so, switch to whole grain, brown rice, sweet potatoes. That made a huge difference when I made the switch.
  8. Banned
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shatfield
    perhaps you're eating too many refined carbs- white rice, white bread, pasta, potatoes? If so, switch to whole grain, brown rice, sweet potatoes. That made a huge difference when I made the switch.
    Yeah I didn't know if it would make a difference so I haven't tried it. What about natural peanut butter? and mixed nuts.
  9. NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Wink

I have a thread on this on the Avant Labs board called "supps for guys who stay around 8-9% BF year round"
    Hope it helps!
  10. NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Talking

I cut very successfully by running the old version of Phenogen at 9 caps per day till the bottle was gone. Kept my fat around 80-90 grams per day (all healthy fat, flax, fish, olive oil, nuts etc..) Carbs less than 1oo grams perday (except a one night a week carb meal of an extra 100-150 grams) and protein around 300-350 grams.
    Took BCAA's during workout (about 25 grams).
    Once I was done with the phenogen, I loaded on CEX and kept my deit the same.....All I can say is I looked shredded at around 6% body fat with a good amount of muscle to spare
  11. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

I've heard that alot, but I do drink milk and eat cottage cheese with lettuce and tomato and every once in awhile oatmeal. Plus apples, oranges, watermelon, bananas and nectarines. I seem to have good energy and my muscle mass increases as steadily as it does while I eat carbohydrates. Only difference I can tell between the two is increased fat with carbs like bread with each meal, cereal, too many oats and spaghetti with or without toast. So please tell me why it's bad.
    Well...if you're eating a lot of fruit then your not on a 'protien only' diet. Fruit has plenty of carbs in the form of natural fructose. Which, if you want to bulk up as lean as possible, shouldnt be your only carb source.

Try combining a complex carb like oats, brown rice, sweet potatos, etc. with every meal along with a fibrous vegetable like broccoli, asparagus, etc. Definitely continue to eat fruit, but try to keep the simple carbs earlier in the day.

Dont be afraid to put on a little fat bro - you can't expect to maintain <7%BF and pack on muscle at any apprciable rate. You don't really have to go over 10% though, either, IMO. 6' 160lbs at 6%BF is definitely ripped, but if it were me Id be after at least 20lbs of LBM.

Yeah I didn't know if it would make a difference so I haven't tried it. What about natural peanut butter? and mixed nuts.
    Natural PB is fine - take Workin2005's advice and keep the fat intake restricted to 'clean' fats. A small amount of saturated fats are necessary too, but you should be getting as many as you need from your lean protien sources.

BV
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Answers

exzactly, that is hardley a protien only diet. I wish when dieting I drank milk, ate bannanas, and other simple carbs like that.

That being said, you are struggling with the same thing that gets me ALWAYS....I am too small, then too fat, then too small...make a goal (10 lbs perhaps) and put it on as clean as possible. Whole foods, protein powders, complex carbs (if any) and good fats. Once you reach your goal, let it sit there for a week or so then diet off the fat slowly.

I have a trigger point where I say F*** it and start the diet. For me it's a 1.5 inches on the belly. Once I grow that much, I cut the bulk.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Answers

BTW, anyone remember the diet Phillips talked about in that sup review from 99. It was called ABCD or something. 2 week bulk 2 week cut 2 week bulk 2 week diet. I did that for a while, it was an easy and fun diet.
  14. NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

I would also cut ALL carbs after 5 pm. IMO.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Answers

Holy ****, I can't spell. My brain is not functionmi...fumtioning...rrrr r working well.
  16. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

I wouldnt put a specific time frame on when to cut carbs - you do need some post workout and if you train at night (like me) you've got to get some carbs in the evening.

Better idea would be to try to get most of your carbs in your first 4 meals of the day, and then only use the cleanest of carbs (and less of them) at night. In the interest of preserving LBM, Id rather get all the carbs in a more structured way than just cut them after a certain time.

Although, if that's what works for you Workin2005 - why mess with a good thing. You're looking mighty jacked bro

BV
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by workin2005
    from me response on another thread...

I view the body on a 24 hour clock, when your asleep your body is still metabolic. IOW when dieting I eat carbohydrate post wo, no matter what time I train. I could train at 11pm come home consume 150 grams of simple carb and go right to sleep. I think the don't eat carbs after Whenever o clock theory is way overrated.

Remember what we are trying to do is deplete glycogen levels, and the refill em. Picture a wet spong full of water, then ya ring it out (cardio/training) then you refill it with water. It will hold a certain amount water untill it overfills. This, I believe is the true question.

How do we know when our levels are "topped off" thats when ya stop eating carbs IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGVRUNGA
    Although, if that's what works for you Workin2005 - why mess with a good thing. You're looking mighty jacked bro
    Yeah, what he said.
  18. NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

You will learn to "feel" when you body is loaded with Glycogen or depleded...at least I can tell very easily with myself.
    My point with cutting carbs after 5pm is only if your primary consern is loss of BF. Even if you work out in the pm, I would keep the carbs low and eat them right after your workout and no more than 25 grams....keep them complex too.
    The whole simple carbs after workouts work great for bulk, but its way over hyped in my opinion and I dont agree with any more than 25 grams of simple carbs after a workout no matter what time yu workout. But, that's just my opinion after watching how many people respond to different diets.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. losing the gut while bulking
    By Swoldierboy in forum Bulking
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 03:19 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 05:51 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 01:07 PM
  4. The ULTIMATE protein shake for bulking OR cutting
    By timogburn in forum Weight Loss