Prep for surgery - AnabolicMinds.com

Prep for surgery

Unhappy Prep for surgery

Hi guys,

In the middle of my first cycle ever of SD, I just found out that I will likely need back surgery in the next couple of months.

This really sucks, since I have been working for a really hard time and have built a pretty good base.

I am not sure yet, but I might not be able to lift for three months or so.

Any recommendations?

Finish my cycle and do a great PCT to build as much as I can before the time off?
    Stop my cycle early (I am less than 2 weeks in), clean all this stuff out of my system and deal?
    Gain as much weight as I can in preparation for the loss?

I am not sure what to do - advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    R

i would stop, gain as as much as u can....and prepare for the loss....( just had knee surgery and than 2 weeks later surgery on a infected spider bite...)...this was 2 months ago but i did lose............

good luck.....

What type of back surgery are you having done?
    •   

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew D
    What type of back surgery are you having done?
    Good question. If it is a simple discectomy (I think they call it a micro), I won't be out long at all.

However, if it is a partial with a fusion, then we are talking 2-3 weeks rest post surgery and 3 months of no lifting. I have an MRI on Sunday and an EMG next week to figure it all out.

The thing is, I have known about the disc for years - but the pain was easy to deal with, so I decided to hold off. Now the problem is weakness, which is a bad sign - it means that the cord compression is worse, and there is more long term risk if I don't do anything.

I was doing hamstring curls (plate loaded) the other day and I was shocked that all of a sudden I was at 50% strength on my right side. A few tests at the doc's office confirmed the problem. My foot was also slipping off of the break pedal while driving!

Meanwhile, I am going 100% at the gym and I feel great, otherwise. This is incredibly frustrating.

Wranglergirl - you suggested that I stop the SD - is that to prevent any "complications" with other medical care, in your opinion? The gains will be reduced, of course.

I may be able to decide when I get scheduled the surgery, depending on how the tests come out.

Thanks all,
    R

I had the disc fusion 2 years ago.. and it did knock me out of service for a while.. I think about 3 month before I could really "lift" I mean I could do cardio but I had to deal with my backbrace and that was a major pain in its own right.. I know what you mean about it beiing alittle scarey.. my whole problem started with numbness on my right side below my leg... stand for about 10 minutes, then numb for 30 or more IF I sat down right then... I couldn't do my job because I have to be on my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus
    Good question. If it is a simple discectomy (I think they call it a micro), I won't be out long at all.

However, if it is a partial with a fusion, then we are talking 2-3 weeks rest post surgery and 3 months of no lifting. I have an MRI on Sunday and an EMG next week to figure it all out.

The thing is, I have known about the disc for years - but the pain was easy to deal with, so I decided to hold off. Now the problem is weakness, which is a bad sign - it means that the cord compression is worse, and there is more long term risk if I don't do anything.

I was doing hamstring curls (plate loaded) the other day and I was shocked that all of a sudden I was at 50% strength on my right side. A few tests at the doc's office confirmed the problem. My foot was also slipping off of the break pedal while driving!

Meanwhile, I am going 100% at the gym and I feel great, otherwise. This is incredibly frustrating.

Wranglergirl - you suggested that I stop the SD - is that to prevent any "complications" with other medical care, in your opinion? The gains will be reduced, of course.

I may be able to decide when I get scheduled the surgery, depending on how the tests come out.

Thanks all,
    R
    yes it is....go into this "clean" so to speak....for me it was stopping all suppliments for the first surgery 3 weeks before...just in case...second surgery i had no warning, so i had to just go with it.......

gains will be reduced but in the end it wont.....

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew D
    I had the disc fusion 2 years ago.. and it did knock me out of service for a while.. I think about 3 month before I could really "lift" I mean I could do cardio but I had to deal with my backbrace and that was a major pain in its own right.. I know what you mean about it beiing alittle scarey.. my whole problem started with numbness on my right side below my leg... stand for about 10 minutes, then numb for 30 or more IF I sat down right then... I couldn't do my job because I have to be on my feet.
    So I hate to ask this, but did you have a full recovery?

I guess by your presence and involvement here you are fully in the game?

I have made huge gains and changed my lifestyle, and I really want to return after this is all done.

Later,
    R

Yes... I did make a full recovery.. due to some other things going on in my life right now.. switching job and grad school I am not able to lift as much as I need to but I did make a full recovery.. I don't feel like that it limited my mobility at all..

I would suggest gaining as much as you can, because you are sure to lose during recovery. But, it is so much easier to regain what you have lost, so go as far as you can now, and when you come back after recovery you have that preexsisting work to build with.

Personally I would not go that route with back surgery.. IF you have to have something like I did.. the extra weight will play hell with you during recovery...

I feel you on the surgery sucking ass. I had mine about a month ago, and my weight has stayed the same, but I look like ****. I have just gotten back into the gym last week, riding the bike and lifting on machines.

Fat gain+muscle loss=depression. It took me so long to get into good shape, but so little time to lose it.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice.

I have one more test to see how important it is to get the surgery quickly.

Assuming that the back stays the way that it is now, I decided to finish the SD cycle which ends on Sept 1. I'll do a good PCT and then wait a couple of weeks more to make sure that the system is clean. I have committments at work and at school that I need to complete, anyway.

I am not putting on much weight from the SD (yet - anyway) so that should not affect the recovery - Matthew, that was a good point that I had not thought of before.

If it turns out that the surgery is needed more quickly, I'll stop the cycle, use a more aggressive PCT and get ready as quickly as I can. I know that I should probably stop, but this is my first cycle, and I hate to abandon it.

FYI, that avatar is my L spine. That huge glob of disc crap pushing into my spinal cord is the enemy.

Regards,
    R

best of luck and try to stay positive.......

Quote Originally Posted by wranglergirl
    best of luck and try to stay positive.......
    Thanks for the kind words WG....

BTW, I changed my mind. I stopped the cycle the day after my post above saying that I was going to continue.

I am going to get clean, get it done, and then get back on track with my lifting when health returns.

Later,
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus
    Thanks for the kind words WG....

BTW, I changed my mind. I stopped the cycle the day after my post above saying that I was going to continue.

I am going to get clean, get it done, and then get back on track with my lifting when health returns.

Later,
    R
    good idea and be strong,,,,let us know how u make out...............

Similar Forum Threads

1. Prepping for the 2007 Lehigh Valley!!
    By Nullifidian in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 03:30 PM
  2. Superdrol interruption for surgery
    By atlbrvfan in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 04:16 PM
  3. Training Program to Prep for Special Forces
    By RobInKuwait in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 02:02 PM
  4. Supps and blood for surgery