Post-workout drink: water or milk?

JohnGafnea

Awards
I've been using milk, but just read something in response to the question "Why not use MRPs instead?", saying because they are mostly casein protein. Does this mean also I should be using water then instead of milk for the whey protein post-workout shake?

See I'm confused about protein kinda. If you have 2 proteins, whey and casein, how do they effect each other? Is the whey's speed handicapped by the lack of speed of the casein?

mauibuilt

Awards
  • Established
i would think milk if you can afford it and its a convience to you to use immediately after lifting weights. for me it is not.

i think milk would be better becasue it contains lots of carbs

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
You want water to shuttle the whey protein to the muscle ASAP. Not to mention water helps assimilate the protein. If taken with milk, it will actually dry you out since water will have to be filtered from the cells to the stomach to do the assimilation. Lactose is the carbohydrate in milk, its nfo way comparable to matlo. or dextrose.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
well, there's plenty around here to read on this... I think most commercial MRP's don't necessarily have that much casein anyway, by the way... only the good ones, most mrp's are still primarily whey, with malto junk as we've seen... some people use milk, and some don't due to the speed-shuttle theory of high simple carbs and fast digesting protein in water being most efficiently used in a very rapid manner by your body postworkout, the time when it's crying out in a quick nutrition recovery state... that said, some around here have adopted the concept that this extreme level of necessity can be thwarted by proper pre-workout nutrition, so that post training you are able to continue where you left of with more moderately digested meals, slower GI carbs, etc.

SUPAJAwS1

Awards
So YJ, what your saying is my post-workout whey shake should be taken with water as opposed to milk to quicker the absorption to my muscles?

So if I took say 40G Whey post workout with 2 cups milk, the whey wudnt go to my muscles fast and the milk protein wudnt just go in slower, itd actually slow down the whey?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Think about it, water acts as a basal nutrient shuttle, its quick and effective. Milk forms a gel in the stomach to release protein slowly. Milk is ideal any other time except post workout, water should be used then.

Timbo

Awards
You know, I've actually been pondering this type of issue over myself. Not necessarily adding milk, or a casein protein, to the post-workout whey hydrolysate or isolate...rather, in general, I was pondering whether or not you actually limit the hyperaminoacidemia of whey with a casein protein. I will actually start a new thread as to not interrupt the current. As well, I think the question I pose is a little more involved.

That said, back to the question at hand. I see no reason to add milk to your post-workout drink, but the question of what we are comparing it to begs to be asked. In the case that you're using pre-digested of isolated whey fractions, along with maltodextrins and or dextrose, then there's absolutely no need to add milk, and it might very well attenuate the desired response.

Now, if you're not currently taking in anything post-workout, or you're not eating a meal until an hour or so afterwards, then an MRP immediately afterwards or some whey mixed with milk will be better than that (i.e. nothing).

MushMouth

Awards
I'd like to throw something else out that may seem silly to you all but I don't know the answer to it so here goes: What about the carb content in milk - lactose is part galactose and glucose - I know what the glucose does but what kind of effect will the galactose have? If its like fructose and can only be stored as liver glycogen wouldn't we want to avoid this in a post-workout shake?

bachovas

bachovas

Awards
Originally posted by MushMouth
I'd like to throw something else out that may seem silly to you all but I don't know the answer to it so here goes: What about the carb content in milk - lactose is part galactose and glucose - I know what the glucose does but what kind of effect will the galactose have? If its like fructose and can only be stored as liver glycogen wouldn't we want to avoid this in a post-workout shake?
That's right. Actually, I was thinking about it, that every time we have milk is like having any fruit juice with added glucose and protein.

JohnGafnea

Awards
Damn, I just really hate the taste of protein powder in water. I don't use dextrose because I'm diabetic and it has no effect (I take a few IUs of insulin with my post-workout shake), so I use Ovaltine instead. It's simple carbs, no protein or fat, and the taste really helps. If I were to stop using milk, I would be forced to add more protein and more Ovaltine (or some other form of carbs) to make up the lack of what milk would be providing.

Hmmm...how about juice? Juice would provide carbs, but with no casein to slow down the whey. Would this be a consideration?

As always thanks people. :)

Timbo

Awards
MushMouth...Great point about the galactose. That's actually something that I meant to bring up, but I got caught up in things. Thanks.

Anyway, I can't say for certain the end fate of galactose (i.e. liver or muscle glycogen). However, I can say something about lactose (i.e. glucose + galactose; milk sugar). That is, many individuals have difficulty digesting this disaccharide due to lacking the enzyme lactase. Therefore, the lactose just sits in the GI tract, undigested, and begins to ferment causing undesirable symptoms such as diarrhea, gas and bloating.

John...What about maltodextrins? Have you considered this instead of your present choices and/or dextrose?

JohnGafnea

Awards
You'll have to forgive me; what are maltodextrins? If it serves the same purpose as dextrose then I don't see how it could help me. But like I said, I don't know what it is. :\

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
You'll have to forgive me; what are maltodextrins? If it serves the same purpose as dextrose then I don't see how it could help me. But like I said, I don't know what it is. :\
malto does serve similar purpose as dextrose. Actaully, matlodextrin is a polymer of dextrose, a complex carbohydrate source made from corn starch. Maltodextrin has a glycemic index is considered metabolically equvalent to glucose(dextrose). Sage

Flavor

Awards
Hmm... so what about milk in your pre-workout shake? I've been doing 25g whey + 25g dextrose with water, before and after my workout. I'd thought that the milk would help to get the muscles protein throughout the entire workout, rather than just a quick burst. I was warned against it, though. What do you think?

inertia

Awards
Hmm... so what about milk in your pre-workout shake? I've been doing 25g whey + 25g dextrose with water, before and after my workout. I'd thought that the milk would help to get the muscles protein throughout the entire workout, rather than just a quick burst. I was warned against it, though. What do you think?
water,only when bulking would i even consider milk 1% or skim.never post or pre workouts!

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
looks like im going to have to start using water instead of milk post workout :( i really think i will throw up though as i tried it once and couldnt stand it

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
? it ain't that bad... don't puss, just suck it down

besides, the dex sweetens the **** considerably if you use that, and just, ya know... don't buy a shitty tasting product ;)

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
i usually get threw a gallon of water during my workout....i know i would throw up if i mixed my whey wih water....i'll have to stick with milk

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
about how long is your workout, out of curiosity?

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
within that one hour or less time frame, you drink a gallon of water between sets?