Raw Oats vs. Cooked Oats

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
Hey gang,

like most of you, I consume lots of oats every day. Usually, since I am at work, I stick oats into a plastic bowl, add some water, and cook for a couple minutes. I then add flax, almonds, and some walnuts.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to eating them raw?
I've read some articles where profressional bodybuilders will eat them raw leading up to a show.

Thanks,

Gumbo

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
I don't think there is any advantages or disadvantages either way.

I would guess the pro bodybuilders were eating them raw before a show to limit water consumption (just a guess).

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i eat em raw year round. throw em in pre and post workout shakes. included in my breakfast shake too.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doesn't cooking them increase the GI?

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not adding water or eating them raw make them very hard to digest, I know from experience. Also it is the same with all grains, I used to mill up barley and brown rice an put it in my shakes, I used to feel dehydrated afterwords accompanied with gas and bloating.

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
I have been eating the following daily for about 6 months: 1/2 cup of what my wife calls my industrial strength cereal (equal parts rolled oats, cracked wheat, rolled barley, fresh mills flax seeds, fresh milled sesame seeds, oat flour, whey) and 1/2 cup skim milk. No digestive issues for me. Damn 1/2 cup sticks with ya. I have to force feed my 10:30 protien.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I run half a cup through the coffee grinder and mix it with some whey, banana, and water. Good stuff...

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
lol, at first glance I thought you wrote "a half cup throught a coffee maker." :icon_lol:

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I actually like to eat them raw instead of cooked. The human body will have no problem digesting uncooked grains or vegetables. Remember that cooking has only happened relatively recently in man's timeline. Your stomach may be upset getting used to the raw grain but it should become accustomed before too long.

Grinding up oats makes a great low GI powder that can be added to nearly anything.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
I also prefer raw to cooked... 3/4 c of raw oats, cup of yogurt and some whey for PWO.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just pour milk on it like cereal and add some strawberries/blueberries/peaches or some kind of fruit and its fine to me.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I put 2 cups of oats in a blender with some whole milk and a banana. Blend 'n consume.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
Lots of good responses. I just started eating them raw and it feels like I am eating cotton. I imagine that the Quaker minute oats are nothing more than regular oats ground up?

Thanks for all the input.

Gumbo

adpanther

Awards
Actually The difference between steel cut, old fashioned and quick oats is pre cooking and rolling. Steel cut are just whole Groats that have been chopped by steel blades treated and packaged. Old fashioned are cut oats that are steamed and then rolled between two heavy cylinders. Quick oats are further cooked and rolled even thinner ( I wouldn't suggest these)

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Raw, with cold milk, couple spoonfulls of flaxseeds, handfull of blueberrys and maybe a scoop of vanialla whey. Much prefer em raw, less gloopy.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
1 c oats mixed w/ three egg whites, water and cinnamon to taste... cooked of course.

Synthetik

Awards
My saturday breakfast of champions:

Whole Wheat pancake mix
1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
Blueberries
Strawberries
2 Eggwhites

Make 2 medium sized pancakes, and cover them w/thinly sliced bannanas and some sugar free pancake syrup. MMM MMM GOOD!.........

kyle0k

Awards
Yea i always consume raw oats. I add it to my post workout protien shake. 1 cup of raw oats in the blender is a great backbone for a homemade "weightgainer" shake.

outlawtas

Awards
blend it up with tuna and orange/apple juice...great meal.

Blinq

Awards
raw oats
good tasting whey protein (i LOVE to use cytosport choco or dymatize banana/toffee) with skim milk
some cottage cheese

perfect :) i prefer raw oat - lower Gi and tastes better. Oats are bbs bread'n'butter :twisted:

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
I can't eat raw oats.

Too much gas for me (and everyone around me) to deal with!!!

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
i've only been eating quick oats raw, fuk. Back to the store.

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
I run half a cup through the coffee grinder and mix it with some whey, banana, and water. Good stuff...
right there with you, always put my oats in the food processor thing my grandmother bought me untill they are like a powder and just dump it in my shakes.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
right there with you, always put my oats in the food processor thing my grandmother bought me untill they are like a powder and just dump it in my shakes.
I do the same thing! It's a nice way to get in quality carbs.

...But does anyone know why this is still okay to do but Quick Oats aren't okay? When I grind up my steel cut oats in my coffee grinder its even smaller than Quick Oats..so then why are quick oats a poor choice? :wtf:

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think quick oats are pre-cooked and somehow refined.

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
steel cut are less processed than quick oats... which are steamed and flatened if i remember correctly.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
I always cook my oats, let them cool and then add them to my PWO shake.

I also take oats to work and eat them.

I usually have a shake on the weekend too and I add oats to that.