Whole grains vs Whole Wheats.....

B

bizzare_777

Awards
Hello, im new to this forum and i have been lookin for info regarding this question. Comparing Whole Wheats to Whole grain type breads, is one better then the other? Rite now, im mostly eating 100% Whole Wheat Breads on a daily basis. Would you say , both types should be used as part of our daily diet or is there one that is more nutritional?

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
As far as I know, there is a difference between 'whole grain' and 'whole wheat'. A 'whole wheat' product does not have to contain the entire grain, whereas a 'whole grain' product does. Stick with the 'whole grain'.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
As far as I know, there is a difference between 'whole grain' and 'whole wheat'. A 'whole wheat' product does not have to contain the entire grain, whereas a 'whole grain' product does. Stick with the 'whole grain'.
Great info Steve...I learned something new today. :)

D

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
do whole grain breads list "whole grain" on the ingredients or something else?

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Well, there are a few things to look out for. If something says that it is 'Made with Whole Grain,' then it means just that: some of it was made using the entire grain. Now that doesn't mean that there is no processed flour in there, it just means that some portion of the flour is made from the entire grain. Take those General Mills cereals for instance. You can get nearly every kiddie cereal they make now, and it will say Whole Grain on the box, but if you look closer somewhere on the box it will say "Look for the Whole Grain label to ensure that each serving is made with at least 2 grams of whole grains." So out of the 26 grams of carbs that that cereal has, only at least 2 grams have to be made from the entire grain for them to be able to say Whole Grain (correct me if I'm wrong).
As far as I know, if you check the ingredients on whole grain products they will say Whole Grain Something-or-other somewhere.

D

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Best to always check the ingrediant list before purchase.