Negative calories... true or false? - AnabolicMinds.com

Negative calories... true or false?

1. New Member

Negative calories... true or false?

I've heard that some foods require more calories to be digested than they themselves provide--resulting in "negative calores." Is this true?

Specifically I'd like to know about green beans, apples, and strawberries--as I could eat these things all day long.

2. Registered User

I think it means things like... lettuce... celery.. there is a lot of sugar in fruit
  3. Elite Member

Complex Carbohydrate, foods with a lot of fiber and lean protiens burn more calories during digestion. The thermogenic effect of certain foods is very real, and incorporating lean protien, complex carbs and fibrous vegetables into your meals is essential to lean mass gain and/or fat loss.

I think it means things like... lettuce... celery.. there is a lot of sugar in fruit

Fruit does have a lot of sugar - but its sugar in its most natural form. Completely unrefined. Most fruit has less sugar than you might think, and you should eat fruit every day to get the nutrients and anti-oxidants they provide. For instance, 1 cup of blueberries (that's a big scoop) only has about 15g of sugar, that's about 10-20g less than an 8oz glass of fruit juice or 30g less than a glass of soda.

BV
    •   

4. Elite Member

Any food that is high in fiber is made mostly from cellose, which your body is not able to digest, so you will only get about 35 calories from 2 cups of lettuce but it is not "negative" calories in the true sense of the word
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

The only food I have found in my reading to have negative calories is celery. Celery is something like 98% water and the rest is fiber with some meager carbs and electrolytes.
  6. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew D
    Any food that is high in fiber is made mostly from cellose, which your body is not able to digest, so you will only get about 35 calories from 2 cups of lettuce but it is not "negative" calories in the true sense of the word
    Surely though the body must expend energy to digest those 35 calories, right? Would it be correct then to say that they have zero net calories?
  7. Elite Member

Well if you could digest the lettuce it would have more calories that 35 but because you have to expend some energy to breakdown the water and extract the minerals, then you only get 35 calories from it.. okay I looked it up.. it is only 14 calories for 2 cups of iceberg lettuce
    Hell 2 cups of lettuce is a bunch of lettuce.. think extra large salad
  8. New Member

Oh okay, so 14 is the actual net calories. Where are you looking these up at? Can you do green beans, strawberries, and apples?
  9. Elite Member

Oh okay, so 14 is the actual net calories. Where are you looking these up at? Can you do green beans, strawberries, and apples?
    You shouldnt really look at it as trying to achieve a negative calorie balance through food alone...rather, design your meals to increase metabolic activity/promote muscle growth/reduce fat accrual and achieve the caloric defecit through aerobic and resistence training.

BV
  10. New Member

I know, it would have just been gravy though if the food I ate could have added to my daily calorie deficit.
  11. Elite Member

If it did, it would be negligible at best...better to just space your meals out throughout the day to keep your metabolism churning.
  12. Elite Member

1 cup of green beans ~35 calories
    1 cup strawberries sliced 50 calories
    1 cup apples raw with skin 65 calories

and to answer you question, I have a program called protrack that is a combination of a food database, meal tracker, and exercise tracker... like www.fitday.com without the net attachment
  13. Registered User

...I'm cutting right now with M1T and a celery/lettuce stack. Do you think if I bump it up to 10 stalks a day, I'll see my abs soon? I can't see any muscles anymore. Is that a problem?

...kidding. Not flaming, your questions are valid and legit. I'm just in a stupid mood...
    maybe I'll swing by BB.com...
  14. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrownedOne
    The only food I have found in my reading to have negative calories is celery. Celery is something like 98% water and the rest is fiber with some meager carbs and electrolytes.
    I though cabbage was another one?
  15. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by John6
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede
    I though cabbage was another one?
    Me too, I heard it was celery, cucumber and cabbage. Probably others out there too.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. To much cardio will burn muscle? True Or False?
    By kashra in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-15-2013, 05:47 AM
  2. True or False?
    By RomeoS in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 06:51 PM
  3. true or false.. BIOTIN
    By new2thisworld in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 11:49 PM
  4. True or False: You can grow plants on Mars?
    By CryingEmo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 10:21 PM
  5. TOREMIFENE CITRATE- BIG CONCERN? or false info?
    By pudzian2 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 12:33 PM