Diet help. (Derek, maybe you can answer) - AnabolicMinds.com

Diet help. (Derek, maybe you can answer)

1. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.

Diet help. (Derek, maybe you can answer)

I've hit a wall with putting on weight. I am currently about 210lbs and cant seem to get past it. Not too worried about fat, so I just keep track of carbs and protein intake. My diet is as follows:

Meal 1:
    16oz Protein Pudding (homeade)
    400 calories, 40g carbs, 40g protein

2:
    Quaker Oatmeal
    160 calories, 33g carbs, 4g protein
    Boost shake
    240 calories, 33g carbs, 15g protein

3:
    Some sort of chicken or ham sandwich with cheese:
    approx. 160 calories, 25-30g carbs, 15-20g protein

4: PWO Shake with skim milk
    300 calories, 53g protein, 20g carbs
    Fish Oil caps
    3 caps at 1g each
    30 calories

5:
    2 cups lean ground turkey
    470 calories, 54g protein, 0g carbs
    1.5 cups of mashed potatos
    232 calories, 4g protein, 32g carbs

6:
    grilled burger with cheese and bread
    750 calories, 32g protein, 20g carbs
    macaroni & cheese
    259 calories, 47g carbs, 11g protein

7:
    AllTheWhey SuperMass 600 shake with whole milk and 2 tbsp. of peanut butter
    900 calories, 65g protein, 90g carbs

Approx. 3901 calories, 293g protein, 340g carbs.

Again, I'm 6'7" and about 210lbs.

2. New Member

hey, all I can say is that's probably not enough food for you, given your stats and all.. Try carb cycling to keep your body guessing.. Its a great way to add some lean bm..
  3. dsl
    officially an adult

seems like meals 2,3,4 are great times to add more cals if the 3900 isn't enough for you. Also I imagine that you could stand to have more carbs in your ppwo shake.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.

So should I just add some dextrose to my PWO shake for more carbs? Right now, I'm eating about as much as my stomach can handle...anymore and I'd feel I'd throw up...so I'd have to SLOWLY add more meals in to what i already consume...I was just kind of looking at a calorie range that I should be in, in order for me to gain some size at this point....
  5. Board Supporter

You only have 250 grams of carbs coming from foods, if you remove that mass gainer at night. I think you could easily add more carbs in meals 2,3,5,6. You only have about 30 grams of carbs in each of those meals, maybe you're a small eater, but I don't have any problem eating 120g (uncooked) of brown rice, and I'm only 170lbs!

Also, maybe you could increase fat intake a bit with some tablespoons of flax or olive oil during the day.

BTW, what does that homemade protein pudding consist of? I'm curious
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.

the pudding is 1 package of chocolate pudding, 3 scoops of chocolate whey protein, 2 tbsp. peanut butter, 2 cups milk. Total makes about 32 oz of pudding, 900 calories, 80-90g protein and 80-90g carbs. I usually drink about half of one for breakfast in the morning...quick to drink on the way to work...and yes i said drink, i cant spoon the pudding and drive at the same time...throw it in a shaker cup and your good to go.
  7. Senior Member

Um, first question, are you still getting stronger? If not, I'd look at your training as the issue before your diet. If you are getting stronger but your size isn't increasing then it's time to add more calories.. Given your height/weight I'm going to guess that your training is almost certainly in need of an overhaul, and the diet could probably be ok with a few minor tweaks (maybe another 500-700 calories).
  8. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by tattoopierced1
    I've hit a wall with putting on weight. I am currently about 210lbs and cant seem to get past it. Not too worried about fat, so I just keep track of carbs and protein intake. My diet is as follows:

4: PWO Shake with skim milk
    300 calories, 53g protein, 20g carbs
    Fish Oil caps
    3 caps at 1g each
    30 calories

Again, I'm 6'7" and about 210lbs.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you stay away from the fish oil caps PWO b/c of the digestion time?
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.

here is my training split:
    Monday: Chest
    DB Bench: 1 warmup set, 3 sets 6-8 reps
    Incline Hammer Strength Bench: 3 sets 6-8 reps
    Cable Fly: 3 sets 8-10 reps

Tuesday: Legs
    Squats: 1 warmup set, 3 sets 6-10 reps
    Incline Leg Press: 3 sets 6-10 reps
    Leg Extensions: 3 sets 6-10 reps
    Calf Raises (seated and standing): 3 sets 10 reps

Wed.: Arms
    Overhead tricep extensions: 1 warmup set, 3 sets 6-8 reps
    Standing DB Curl: 1 warmup set, 3 sets 6-10 reps
    Cable Pressdown: 3 sets 6-10 reps
    EZ Bar Curl: 3 sets 6-10 reps
    Concentration Curls: 3 sets 6-8 reps

Thursday: Chest and Back
    Chest: Monday's workout
    Hammer Strength Iso Low machine: 1 warmup set, 3 sets 6-10 reps
    Overhead machine pressdown: 3 sets 6-10 reps
    SuperSlow machine rows: 2 sets 3 reps (these take 20 seconds per rep, hence the low numbers....for those of you who have never used a superslow machine, your missing out)
    Superslow back extensions: 2 sets 6 reps (these are like deadlifts and use your hams as well as back)

Friday: Legs
    Superslow Leg press: 2 sets 8 reps (again, superslow machine)
    Leg Extensions: 3 sets 6-10 reps
    Calf Raises Seated and Standing: 3 sets 10 reps
  10. Senior Member

Are you making consistent strength gains? When you stop making strength gains on an exercise (guaged either by the amount of weight you can do for a given number of reps, or the number of reps you can do with a given weight) you need to rotate that exercise out, and replace it with an exercise which is different but works the same general area, for instance swapping out flat bench for incline or close grip bench, swapping out bent over rows for pullups or pullovers, etc. You could also keep the same exercise but change the rep scheme significantly, say if you did the exercise for 10-12 reps, start doing it for 4-6 reps.

Done properly you will stop making progress on an exercise within 2-6 weeks (depending on your experiece level). Just keep rotating exercises and rep ranges, always working to increase the weights or the number of reps performed.

Your volume for chest and legs looks slightly high, I would try and keep the total work sets for an area to no more than 12-14 per week, possibly a little lower for legs. You can also work back twice a week. Cut the volume you do for arms WAY down, I think no more than 4 work sets for bis and 4 for tris a week, divided among any number of exercises and days you like. Also, remember not to do any sets to absolute failure... Leave a rep or maybe two in the tank.

I am a big fan of the push/pull and legs split. I like to do upper body push/pull and legs each twice a week, that has garnered the best results in my experience... In reality though it doesn't matter that much, it's just a convenience thing - people make way too big a deal about the split they do. Total weekly volume and constant rotation of load (always increasing - progressive resistance, never lower the weight from week to week) and exercises to avoid the principle of adaptation are the most important things.

Like I said, if you adjust your training to take what I've said into account and your strength starts going up again but your bodyweight/composition stays the same, then it's time to increase your caloric intake (and possibly your protein intake) slowly until you start to grow again. You can definately put on a lot more size bro, you just have to go about things the correct way.
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.

I'm definatly making strength gains, so I'm really hesitant to blame the lack of mass on training and leaning more toward diet.....
  12. "He's not human!"

I would add 4-6 eggs to your diet. I would do 3 eggs in meal 1, 2, or 3. Then another 3 eggs in meal 5 or 6 (meal 7 has a good amount of fat in it already). Eggs contain Arachidonic acid (an N-6 fatty acid) needed for prostaglandins synthesis as well as other good fats, which are needed for hormone/prostaglandins synthesis as well.

I would also add more carbs to your post workout meal. I would opt for oatmeal over dextrose. What I do is mix up some whey (chocolate or vanilla) with milk then pour it on uncooked oats and eat that like cereal. Add a cup of oats to your post workout meal.

I would also add some veggies in a couple meals, but don't count them in your caloric intake.

Eggs contain a lot of cholesterol, but we know that dietary cholesterol has little impact on blood cholesterol levels and the cholesterol in eggs in not fully absorbed anyways:

Egg phosphatidylcholine decreases the lymphatic absorption of cholesterol in rats.

Jiang Y, Noh SK, Koo SI.

Department of Human Nutrition, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA.

This study was conducted to determine the effects of phosphatidylcholine (PC) from different sources on intestinal absorption of cholesterol. Male Sprague-Dawley rats were fed an AIN-93G diet containing soybean oil for 4 wk. Each rat with lymph cannula was infused via a duodenal catheter at 3.0 mL/h for 8 h with a lipid emulsion [in micromol: 451.8 triolein, 27.8 kBq 14C-cholesterol (CH), 20.7 CH, 3.6 alpha-tocopherol, and 100 PC in 24 mL PBS, pH 6.6]. The PC in the lipid emulsion was egg PC (EPC), hydrogenated egg PC (HPC), or soy PC (SPC). The EPC in the lipid emulsion markedly lowered the lymphatic absorption of 14C-CH (24.7 +/- 2.5% dose) compared with SPC (34.9 +/- 1.2%) and a lipid emulsion containing no PC (NPC) (30.8 +/- 2.0%). The HPC further lowered the absorption of 14C-CH to 21.1 +/- 1.4% dose. The outputs of phospholipid were unaffected by the source of PC infused (EPC, 32.2 +/- 1.7; HPC, 31.8 +/- 1.6; and SPC, 32.9 +/- 1.8 micromol/8 h). Compared with NPC (595.0 +/- 59.5 micromol), the total output of fatty acids over 8 h was increased significantly by SPC (685.4 +/- 55.8 micromol), but decreased by HPC (467.7 +/- 28.4 micromol). The total lymphatic output of oleic acid (18:1), the major fatty acid infused in the form of triolein, did not differ among the NPC (448.0 +/- 58.2 micromol/8 h), SPC (457.9 +/- 52.3 micromol/8 h) and EPC (412.9 +/- 20.8 micromol/8 h) groups, but was significantly lower in the HPC group (262.0 +/- 24.1 micromol/8 h). The findings provide the first evidence that EPC markedly lowers the lymphatic absorption of cholesterol under in vivo conditions. The inhibitory effect of EPC appears to be due to the higher degree of saturation of its acyl groups relative to SPC, suggesting that the intestinal absorption of egg cholesterol may be reduced by the presence of PC in egg yolk.
  13. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

From looking at it briefly you are not getting enough calories in your earlier meals and way too many empty calories in your late meals. I would completly scrap meal 6 and 7 (not good food choice IMO), add in more clean cals earlier in the day.

Not enough protein, not enough carbs, too much fat (152 grams in which much of it is not clean sources) and not enough whole foods in general.

I can easily see why you are stalling out. Its not your training.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    From looking at it briefly you are not getting enough calories in your earlier meals and way too many empty calories in your late meals. I would completly scrap meal 6 and 7 (not good food choice IMO), add in more clean cals earlier in the day.

Not enough protein, not enough carbs, too much fat (152 grams in which much of it is not clean sources) and not enough whole foods in general.

I can easily see why you are stalling out. Its not your training.
    Well, hopefully soon that will all change. Been trying to sell my paintball gear so I can use your services, but that hasnt gone anywhere yet. Going to take out an ad in the paper for that and my home gym that I dont use anymore to se if that speeds things up....
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.

Posted some pics of my progression so far from when I first started lifting till now...
    I guess its that time again...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help out if you can!
    By Veritatis in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 07:12 PM
  2. Help out if you can!
    By Veritatis in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 07:10 PM
  3. maybe you guys can give some good advice