Taste?

  1. New Member
    Icebrc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    120
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    43%

    Taste?


    Lurker here, actually I lurk at several sites for ideas.

    Anyway, my point.
    I did my first real workout cycle about 6 weeks ago (ended then).
    For 8 weeks I had a fairly strict diet and worked out very well. Made some significant gains and losses

    Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting back into a routine, mainly because I can't stomach the things I ate the first time around.

    I honestly can't stand deli meats any more and I have never been able to eat tuna.

    I buy extra lean ground beef and 97% fat free ground turkey, but I have nothing for quick meals.

    Any tips for adding flavor to deli meats without compromising the diet? (I mostly ate turkey, but would include low fat roast beef and low fat ham to help the flavor, now none of it tastes good).

    Or do you guys just hold your nose and swallow when you get tired of something?

  2. Elite Member
    DR.D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    307853
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    45.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    You can get creative with eggs too for low carb meals.
  3. Board Supporter
    joecski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    776
    Rep Power
    508
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    7.37%

    I like fat free cheese with my turkey sandwiches. Of course, many consider ff cheese to be an acquired taste.

    If you are looking for something quick, cook some chicken breasts and make them into sandwiches with some veggie fixings, spinach, lettuce, etc. There's a whole thread on chicken breast recipes going on right now here:
    How do you make your breasts exciting? chicken that is...
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Beelzebub's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,682
    Rep Power
    10788
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    canned chicken and navy beans (or any type of lentil)
  5. New Member
    hyoogeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    38.65%

    I've more or less supplemented almost all my protein needs with shakes, which I make sure not to buy ones that taste bad.

    Other than that, give the new bumble bee tuna steaks a try. Good macro profile and tastes good.

    Fat Free Carb Countdown milk has a good profile as well and is often overlooked.
  6. Registered User
    Beelzebub's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,682
    Rep Power
    10788
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by hyoogeness
    I've more or less supplemented almost all my protein needs with shakes, which I make sure not to buy ones that taste bad.

    Other than that, give the new bumble bee tuna steaks a try. Good macro profile and tastes good.

    Fat Free Carb Countdown milk has a good profile as well and is often overlooked.
    shakes should NOT make up the majority of your protein intake. whole food is preferred.
  7. New Member
    hyoogeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    38.65%

    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    shakes should NOT make up the majority of your protein intake. whole food is preferred.
    That's generally said because it provides more satiety and is more normal (socially acceptable). There is a bioavailability issue for things like iron from lean beef as opposed to supplementing it - but I'm not anemic.

    Regardless, I prefer shakes more on the basis of taste and ease. Whole foods are fine if you prefer to go that route, I don't.
  8. Elite Member
    DR.D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    307853
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    45.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by hyoogeness
    That's generally said because it provides more satiety and is more normal (socially acceptable). There is a bioavailability issue for things like iron from lean beef as opposed to supplementing it - but I'm not anemic.

    Regardless, I prefer shakes more on the basis of taste and ease. Whole foods are fine if you prefer to go that route, I don't.
    Your right, it can be done, but it gets old real fast. Pretty soon your start subbing protein bars for shakes and then go back to real food once you can't stand the different flavors anymore! Real food is best, unless you drink a shake every 2 hrs. I did it too for years before it got old.
  9. New Member
    hyoogeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    38.65%

    Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    Your right, it can be done, but it gets old real fast. Pretty soon your start subbing protein bars for shakes and then go back to real food once you can't stand the different flavors anymore! Real food is best, unless you drink a shake every 2 hrs. I did it too for years before it got old.
    Oh definitely, I end up rotating products a fair amount and I mix and match shakes+supplements just to keep things interesting. I'll probably end up going back to more whole foods at some point (eb and flow of life and all), but from my current POV towards taste, shakes work best for me.

    There's also a huge variety of chicken salads out the right now (for the OP). Baja Fresh has a pretty solid Baja Ensalada (w/ Green Salsa) among other salads, McDonalds is pretty good (depending on needs, they have crispy chicken or grilled, a couple various types of salads and dressings), and if you have a Noodles & Company, there's a couple (like 2) good Chicken dishes that have great macro profiles.

    I think an important thing to keep in mind when you're living a life of controlling food intake is to make things interesting for yourself and to not make yourself hate the daily grind of things.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. best tasting protein drink!
    By Sanosuke in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 01:18 PM
  2. Nolva taste : (
    By BudHeavy in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 10:44 PM
  3. Liquid Nolva Tastes Horrible!!!!
    By Brendan6787 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 01:48 PM
  4. Good tasting homemade creatine mix?
    By Gmonkey in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 11:19 AM
  5. Flax...taste Good?
    By ChaseRoy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2002, 04:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in