Taste?

Icebrc

Awards
Lurker here, actually I lurk at several sites for ideas.

Anyway, my point.
I did my first real workout cycle about 6 weeks ago (ended then).
For 8 weeks I had a fairly strict diet and worked out very well. Made some significant gains and losses :D

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting back into a routine, mainly because I can't stomach the things I ate the first time around.

I honestly can't stand deli meats any more and I have never been able to eat tuna.

I buy extra lean ground beef and 97% fat free ground turkey, but I have nothing for quick meals.

Any tips for adding flavor to deli meats without compromising the diet? (I mostly ate turkey, but would include low fat roast beef and low fat ham to help the flavor, now none of it tastes good).

Or do you guys just hold your nose and swallow when you get tired of something?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
You can get creative with eggs too for low carb meals.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I like fat free cheese with my turkey sandwiches. Of course, many consider ff cheese to be an acquired taste.

If you are looking for something quick, cook some chicken breasts and make them into sandwiches with some veggie fixings, spinach, lettuce, etc. There's a whole thread on chicken breast recipes going on right now here:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31483

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
canned chicken and navy beans (or any type of lentil)

hyoogeness

Awards
I've more or less supplemented almost all my protein needs with shakes, which I make sure not to buy ones that taste bad.

Other than that, give the new bumble bee tuna steaks a try. Good macro profile and tastes good.

Fat Free Carb Countdown milk has a good profile as well and is often overlooked.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I've more or less supplemented almost all my protein needs with shakes, which I make sure not to buy ones that taste bad.

Other than that, give the new bumble bee tuna steaks a try. Good macro profile and tastes good.

Fat Free Carb Countdown milk has a good profile as well and is often overlooked.
shakes should NOT make up the majority of your protein intake. whole food is preferred.

hyoogeness

Awards
shakes should NOT make up the majority of your protein intake. whole food is preferred.
That's generally said because it provides more satiety and is more normal (socially acceptable). There is a bioavailability issue for things like iron from lean beef as opposed to supplementing it - but I'm not anemic.

Regardless, I prefer shakes more on the basis of taste and ease. Whole foods are fine if you prefer to go that route, I don't.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
That's generally said because it provides more satiety and is more normal (socially acceptable). There is a bioavailability issue for things like iron from lean beef as opposed to supplementing it - but I'm not anemic.

Regardless, I prefer shakes more on the basis of taste and ease. Whole foods are fine if you prefer to go that route, I don't.
Your right, it can be done, but it gets old real fast. Pretty soon your start subbing protein bars for shakes and then go back to real food once you can't stand the different flavors anymore! Real food is best, unless you drink a shake every 2 hrs. I did it too for years before it got old.

hyoogeness

Awards
Your right, it can be done, but it gets old real fast. Pretty soon your start subbing protein bars for shakes and then go back to real food once you can't stand the different flavors anymore! Real food is best, unless you drink a shake every 2 hrs. I did it too for years before it got old.
Oh definitely, I end up rotating products a fair amount and I mix and match shakes+supplements just to keep things interesting. I'll probably end up going back to more whole foods at some point (eb and flow of life and all), but from my current POV towards taste, shakes work best for me.

There's also a huge variety of chicken salads out the right now (for the OP). Baja Fresh has a pretty solid Baja Ensalada (w/ Green Salsa) among other salads, McDonalds is pretty good (depending on needs, they have crispy chicken or grilled, a couple various types of salads and dressings), and if you have a Noodles & Company, there's a couple (like 2) good Chicken dishes that have great macro profiles.

I think an important thing to keep in mind when you're living a life of controlling food intake is to make things interesting for yourself and to not make yourself hate the daily grind of things.