How do you Utilize the 3 hour window?

rich2342

Awards
Hi all,

Im very interested in how others utilize the 3 hour window of increased nutrient partitioning. I know of some guys who just have a post workout shake and then a meal 1/2 hour later, which doesn't make sense to me.

So let em rip...

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
as soon as i get home from the gym .. which is about 20 minutes after my workout ends i have a shake which consists of 1 cup oats, 2 scoops whey, 1 cup fat free yogurt, 1 cup water

1.5 hours later i have 10 oz of chicken with veggies and 2 tablespoons of natty PB

2 hours later (or right before i go to bed some times 3 hours later) i have 2 scoops of my nighttime protein, 1 cup of yogurt, and 2 tblspns of natty pb

don't forget or underestimate the importance of PRE workout nutrition .. its the same as my post workout meal and taken 1 hour before my workout

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I take the post-WO shake plus a bagel or oatmeal. This is usally about 2 hours before bed-time at this point. So, I take my bedtime meal about 1.5 hours later (20 mins of so before bed).

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
as soon as i get home from the gym .. which is about 20 minutes after my workout ends i have a shake which consists of 1 cup oats, 2 scoops whey, 1 cup fat free yogurt, 1 cup water

1.5 hours later i have 10 oz of chicken with veggies and 2 tablespoons of natty PB

2 hours later (or right before i go to bed some times 3 hours later) i have 2 scoops of my nighttime protein, 1 cup of yogurt, and 2 tblspns of natty pb

don't forget or underestimate the importance of PRE workout nutrition .. its the same as my post workout meal and taken 1 hour before my workout
That pretty much covers it except I usually eat 2 hours before I workout. I can't hit the weights on a full/somewhat full stomach. My choice of foods are also different, but the timing is right on.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established

what's the yogurt for?

rich2342

Awards
Have any of you guys tried AST's post workout plan. Supps not neccesarily, but I like the idea of Nutrient timing. I believe it is all about the proper food combinations ie (prot & fat) (prot &carb) etc at the specific times for a great physique.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Pre WO shake - 45 min to 75 min before workout

Post WO shake - 15 min to 30 min after workout

Post WO meal - 1 hour to 90 min after that

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Preworkout (1hr to 45 min prior) a shake with one cup oats, one scoop whey (30g) and half banana.

Workout (during) I sip on a one scoop whey with water shake.

Postworkout (immediately when I get home) cup oats, scoop whey, other half banana.

About an hour later, a meal, usually some form of grilled chicken/meat and some wheat bread.

I can only stomach one scoop of whey per serving really, otherwise I end up making a trip to the bathroom about 3 hours later (not to mention the gas).

Basically thru trial and error this is what has worked for me. Oh and I'm trying to "bulk" for football.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
pre-wo I eat usual carbs/pro/fats...I train 1.5-2 hours after...

get done training, I drink v12 w/ water....wait 25 minutes, eat 100 grams of either oats or coco-wheats (yes, that 's 100grams. :D )

25 minutes after that, I drink my shake that consists of egg white powder (I can't do the whey) and a little skim milk.

25 minutes after that, I once again eat 60 grams of carbs of brown rice

then 1.5-2 hours later I'll start with my regular meals again ie, pro/carbs/fats

Jimmy_magix

Awards
35g whey and 40g dextrose 5ml vinegar
1/2 hour later 2 slices wholegrain bread 100g oats 1 can tuna 5ml vinegar

further meal 2 hours later.

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
35g whey and 40g dextrose 5ml vinegar
1/2 hour later 2 slices wholegrain bread 100g oats 1 can tuna 5ml vinegar

further meal 2 hours later.
Okay...i have to ask...what's the vinegar for? :think:

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
I figured for post workout you'd wanna maximize blood concentrations of glucose to allow glycogen restoration of the depleted muscles as soon as possible. I tried reading the links you provided and saw in the rat study that " In soleus muscle, acetate feeding significantly increased glycogen content and the ratio of glycogen..."
Anyhoo - don't think I have the stomach to take vingegar post workout anyways...probably hurl especially on squat day!

Reduces the spike in blood concentrations of insulin and glucose that come after a CHO meal

see

http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?showtopic=2120

http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?showtopic=15295

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
does the same thing milk would do (extra protein, increases insulin spike) but its deliciously raspberry flavored :)
gotcha, sound pretty good, but the only yogurt that I've seen has been loaded with sugar. what brand do you use?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Agreed the post workout window starts with a preworkout meal.

Towards the end of the workout and continues after the workout drinking a soda juice or even sugar water. 20 mins after workout 70 grams of protein via whey protein. Just continually eat jelly with bread or some oats. Then another 30 grams of protein 20 mins later. Chicken 30 mins later

CROWLER

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
After reading some studies on how big the window of glycogen resynthesis and how long you have until your body really needs the protein after a workout I changed what I did.

Not to undermine pre workout nutrition but post workout I drink

2 cups milk-1 scoop ON whey-1 bagel

2 hours later

hormel turkey chili-1 tbsp flax- 1.5 cups cottage cheese.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I'm going to make a glenihan shake next time

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
gotcha, sound pretty good, but the only yogurt that I've seen has been loaded with sugar. what brand do you use?
loaded with sugar the same as milk would be .. its lactose .. low gi .. no problem there .. i use stonybrook farms (all natural no added shitty sugar)

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
Immediately after working out I down the following:
- dextrose, whey, R-ALA, Taurine

45 minutes after workout I have a Lean Mass Matrix shake on my drive to work.

2 hours after my shake, I am at work and make Oatmeal with flax, walnuts, almonds and down a Protein Shake (mix of egg, casein, whey)

Keep in mind that I workout at 4am....

Gumbo

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Well it seems that the window lasts 24h not just 3.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have any of you guys tried AST's post workout plan. Supps not neccesarily, but I like the idea of Nutrient timing. I believe it is all about the proper food combinations ie (prot & fat) (prot &carb) etc at the specific times for a great physique.
thats what i do...most of my carbs are postraining...

depending on if im cutting or bulking or maintence

50 grams simple carbs(actually ast dextose cystal powder) 50 gram whey . ala, creatine,0 fats....remember you dotn need any fats immedially postrainign because fats slow down the simple carbs and whey rushing into the torn down muscle fibers

30 minutes later -50 gram simple carbs , 50 gram whey , 10 grams flax oil, vit c 2000 mgs and vitimans

1 hour later - chicken breast 40 grams protein, sweet potatoe , broccoli and flax oil

boffo234

Awards
I keep a relatively simple approach to training nutrition... sorta.

1.5 hours prior : 2whole eggs, 8egg whites, 1 cup oats
30 Minutes pre-workout : 15g's whey
Right before : BCAA's and Liver Tabs
Right After : BCAA's and Liver Tabs, 45g Whey, 2.5 Packets Instant Flavored Oatmeal (decent mix of complex and simple carbs)
1.5 Hour Later : 2cups FF Cottage cheese, 1 cup oats

gqsuperman

Awards
separation of

do people not subscribe to separation of carb/fats here? i usually have protien/fat meals during the day and protein/carb at breakfast, PWO and PPWO. i was taught to never combine carbs and fats....expect on my cheat day.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I think most overlook the fact that liquid nutrition is going to enter the small intestine a lot quicker than a regular meal. It is more the form of the food which usually delays transit time from the stomach to the duodenum. There is only minimum amount of fat being hydrolyzed in the stomach so it will not really delay transit time significantly.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I keep a relatively simple approach to training nutrition... sorta.

1.5 hours prior : 2whole eggs, 8egg whites, 1 cup oats
30 Minutes pre-workout : 15g's whey
Right before : BCAA's and Liver Tabs
Right After : BCAA's and Liver Tabs, 45g Whey, 2.5 Packets Instant Flavored Oatmeal (decent mix of complex and simple carbs)
1.5 Hour Later : 2cups FF Cottage cheese, 1 cup oats
More power to you that you can keep that many eggs and oats down when you work out. If I did that I would pull a glenihan every time(yakking in the corner of the gym) :lol:

CROWLER

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Nice post Glen. My Pre and PWO are almost identical, I use 1 cup oats (w/ 8oz milk), 1.5 scoops whey (w/ 12oz milk) and some fruit. Just curious, what blend/brand do you use as your nighttime protein? I usually just eat a chicken sandwitch (canned) w/ some PB and high protein bread and chase it with some milk but I would like to incorporate a decent blend and heard good things about Xtreme Formulations.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i make a blend from proteinfactory.com .. 50% calcium casein, 30% MPI, 20% whey

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
OK, my nutrition plan is rather simple at the moment:

2h before: full meal (usually its lunch)
30mins before: 25g whey hidrolyzed + 25g oats in a 50-50 mix of water and skimmed milk
During workout: Either simple oligomineral water or EAA drink
30mins after: 30g whey hidrolyzed + 30g vitargo (i'm in a low carb diet atm, otherwise all carb intakes would be double) in water:
2h later: full meal P+C

I should fit a second protein shake after the first one but I usually end up to workout too late and I have to keep in time for dinner.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not me GQ , i have never heard that before..who taught you ?

do people not subscribe to separation of carb/fats here? i usually have protien/fat meals during the day and protein/carb at breakfast, PWO and PPWO. i was taught to never combine carbs and fats....expect on my cheat day.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Not me GQ , i have never heard that before..who taught you ?
Its a principle of the Zone Diet. I think its not needed to follow strictly those guidelines, the key point is to make a certain meal MOSTLY P+ either carbs or fat, but still add a little quantity of the third macronutrient.