If you absolutely have to party...

1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.79%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Talking If you absolutely have to party...

I bartend during the summer, and we just started offering mojitos. This immediately became my new favorite drink, but with the 3 packets of sugar, rum, gingerale and lime juice, this tasty summer treat is sure to thicken your waistline.

So I came up with the following Mojito alternative:

1. Tear up about 10 mint leaves into a glass
    2. Squeeze 2 key limes into glass and add the lime
    3. Add 2 packets of splenda
    4. Add a splash of rum
    5. Muddle the #@*& out of it
    6. Add ice and a generous helping of rum
    7. Top with diet ginger ale
    This came out better than I ever hoped. I made these for my sister and bro-in-law and didn't tell them that it wasn't a real mojito until half way through. They loved it. I figure this saves in the vicinity of 200-300 calories. Calories only come from the lime and the rum.

I know alcohol is a bodybuilders enemy, but if you are going to have an occassional splurge, this should help keep the calories in check while allowing for some fun
    Last edited by Beowulf; 07-17-2005 at 07:05 PM.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

As an FYI to this thread, I read an interesting piece by Layne Norton aka str8flexed that talked about how a night of heavy drinking can trash test levels so bad they can take up to 2 weeks to recover.

So remember that if you HAVE to party, too
  3. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.79%

Yup, I remember hearing that too. It is not just the maltose that is bad; it is the effect of alcohol on decreasing test and increasing est. Ironic how so many meatheads claim alcohol consumption is the true sign of masculinity.

But I think the hard core damage from alcohol is from hardcore intake. I'm waiting for my bulking plan, so I indulged. I don't think 2 Mojitos is too detrimental, but I also don't plan to make a habit of it.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.97%

I'll catch hell for this post...
    I drink beer three night a week..... (Light beer). I drink while bulking or cutting and haven't had a problem. On those three nights I may have 8-10 beers. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays....... Some people can and some can't...... My dad drinks beer every day and is 5'11" 170lbs...... I don't know about now, but when I was growing up I can remember his abs showing. As of 10 years ago he still had them.... His only workout was one arm curls.
  5. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.73%

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mills
    I drink beer three night a week..... (Light beer). I drink while bulking or cutting and haven't had a problem. On those three nights I may have 8-10 beers. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays....... Some people can and some can't...... My dad drinks beer every day and is 5'11" 170lbs...... I don't know about now, but when I was growing up I can remember his abs showing. As of 10 years ago he still had them.... His only workout was one arm curls.
    I knew guys like that when I was youger but they all worked brutally hard jobs at a tire factory
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mills
    Kill the beer for 6 months and tell me if there is a diff
  7. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.9%

Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    As an FYI to this thread, I read an interesting piece by Layne Norton aka str8flexed that talked about how a night of heavy drinking can trash test levels so bad they can take up to 2 weeks to recover.

could be up to a month or more, if you continue to do so. or if your balls ain't work good
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.77%

I love mojitos...

But when I drink, it's usually Guinness (I used to bounce at an Irish bar).

Tastes good, high in iron and antioxidants, lower alcohol content, lower carbs and calories than many beers.

/karp
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.84%

I also like Straub..it's an ale w/o any sugar.
  10. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.77%

Never tried it... I'll have to look for it.

/karp
  11. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.9%

Quote Originally Posted by jrkarp
    I love mojitos...

But when I drink, it's usually Guinness (I used to bounce at an Irish bar).

Tastes good, high in iron and antioxidants, lower alcohol content, lower carbs and calories than many beers.

/karp
    I thought guinness was 160 caloires?
    antioxidants, really?
  12. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.77%

167 cals, but that is a pint (16 oz), not a bottle (12 oz). A 12 oz Guinness has 125 cals, while 12 oz or Coors Light (with a lot less flavor) has 108. I know 108 is less than 125, but I was just using Coors Light (one of the lightest light beers) as an example of how close it is in nutritional value to Guinness.

From what I have read, dark beers (true dark beers like stouts, not beers that are artificially darkened for marketing), have many of the same health benefits like antioxidants that red wine does. They are high in flavonoids, which are antioxidants with a lot of health benefits

/karp
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.17%

Quote Originally Posted by CEDeoudes59
    I thought guinness was 160 caloires?
    antioxidants, really?
    Yeah Guinness is actually one of the healthier drinks. It's also high in vit. A
  14. More Cowbell
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.99%

Hmm, thanks for the info on the Guiness.. One of my favorites, but I've actually stayed away from it this summer thinking it was too heavy to drop a pound.

As for the drinking & the test.. I'd love to just quit drinking & dedicate myself to working out. I'm quite sure that I would see a definite difference, especially in the love handle/waist area. But I don't see myself getting up on stage competing, so I may as well enjoy (IMO) some of the finer things in life..
  15. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.9%

so say 'yes' to guiness but 'no' to irish car bomb (drink)

guiness must be an acquired taste, I can't stomach it
  16. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.77%

I love the car bombs but I always seem to get them at the end of the night and they do me in.

I never liked Guinness for a long time, but after working at an Irish bar, you first get used to it, then you start to love it.

/karp
  17. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.82%

Guinness is God's nectar, I swear..
  18. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.77%

Yes it is.

Although, my old boss and his friends from the old country were hard enough to understand before they started drinking, and after about 5 pints of Guinness, I couldn't understand a ****ing word they were saying. I don't even think it was English.

/karp
  19. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.66%

Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00

If you get on avants forums and read mind and muscle articles, there is one on the chemical composition of alcohol. Part 2 deals with side effects. 26% lower testosterone levels and 86-100% less GH release over a 24 hour period. Not sure how long the test levels stayed low but man that is a lot to not have!
  20. More Cowbell
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.99%

never heard of the car bomb. Gonna have to ask for that one. I've always been partial to the good 'ol Black 'n tan...
  21. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.9%

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD
    If you get on avants forums and read mind and muscle articles, there is one on the chemical composition of alcohol. Part 2 deals with side effects. 26% lower testosterone levels and 86-100% less GH release over a 24 hour period. Not sure how long the test levels stayed low but man that is a lot to not have!

those are great numbers, I'll make a mental note of it and tell my alcoholic friends. Not that they are listening
  22. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.79%

As an Irish citizen, I can verify the accuracy in this marketing campaign:

Guinness really is bodybuilder friendly.
  23. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.39%

Very cool pics beo. Irish carbombs are the shiznits...you need to try one out if ya havent for sure. For me drinkings alot like roids, i know its bad for me but i choose to do it anyways...and i usually do more than i planned.
  24. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.39%

BTW

big pete, you are looking absolutely huge.
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29%

Captain Morgan and diet Vernors. When mixed right it tastes just like cream soda.
  26. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    I bartend during the summer, and we just started offering mojitos. This immediately became my new favorite drink, but with the 3 packets of sugar, rum, gingerale and lime juice, this tasty summer treat is sure to thicken your waistline.

So I came up with the following Mojito alternative:

1. Tear up about 10 mint leaves into a glass
    2. Squeeze 2 key limes into glass and add the lime
    3. Add 2 packets of splenda
    4. Add a splash of rum
    5. Muddle the #@*& out of it
    6. Add ice and a generous helping of rum
    7. Top with diet ginger ale
    This came out better than I ever hoped. I made these for my sister and bro-in-law and didn't tell them that it wasn't a real mojito until half way through. They loved it. I figure this saves in the vicinity of 200-300 calories. Calories only come from the lime and the rum.

I know alcohol is a bodybuilders enemy, but if you are going to have an occassional splurge, this should help keep the calories in check while allowing for some fun
    I was at the bar (at the resort I was at this weekend) yesterday afternoon drinking iced tea and watching the Yankees game. I saw the 'tender mixing up three of those. I was thinking to myself; "as if getting '**** faced' wasn't enough incentive to drink...their making it more and more tasty". It may be my alcohism speaking here but I have always been an efficiency consesuor(sp). Just pound down a couple/few 'straight up' (shots or mixed very very strong) to 'front load' the night. Get the buzz going then bump it along with your lo-cal 'boat drinks' throughout the rest of the evening.

Down side: eventually I ended up 'front loading' the whole night...up 'til I got sober.

Here's links to Par's article (I see now others mentioned them)
    Chemically Correct: Alcohol I by Par Deus
    Chemically Correct: Alcohol II by Par Deus
    The negatives aspects of alcohol presented in those articles have been an additional piece of information that help keep me from consuming again. That and...prison
  27. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.27%

I think those side-effects are overblown. If not, I would have gone through college in a hypogonadic state, aged twice as fast, not remembered any of it, had less LBM than a pre-pubescent girl, had permanent brain damage, etc.

It just didn't happen that way.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.35%

This might be off the wall but would taking rebound xt or something like that for a few days after a heavy night of drinking help to lower estrogen and get test levels back up sooner?
  29. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.89%

Guiness is what got me drinking beer. Some other Guiness drinks to try are the car bomb, Black&Tan, Half & Half, and the Black Velvet. The Black velvet is my least favorite. Also if you like guiness you'll probably like Young's Oatmeal Cream Stout or Young's Nut Brown.
  30. dead sexy wino
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

Quote Originally Posted by CEDeoudes59
    those are great numbers, I'll make a mental note of it and tell my alcoholic friends. Not that they are listening

Yeah....go tell your Frat Brothers
  31. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.79%

Quote Originally Posted by Funny Monkey
    Guiness is what got me drinking beer. Some other Guiness drinks to try are the car bomb, Black&Tan, Half & Half, and the Black Velvet. The Black velvet is my least favorite. Also if you like guiness you'll probably like Young's Oatmeal Cream Stout or Young's Nut Brown.
    Note: If you should be in Ireland or in an Irish pub with Irish bartenders I do not reccommend ordering these drinks. The Irish Car Bomb is called such b/c of the IRA. Though not of the same scope, that would be something like calling a drink the "9/11". Both refer to fatal terrorist attacks. Black and Tans were British troops who patrolled the Irish countryside, terrorizing the populace. They were unemployed veterans, many of whom were traumatized by WWI trench warfare, so they took up cheap work "policing" Ireland. In my mom's village of less than 200 people there is an infamous story of Black and Tans randomly gunning down a mother and her child who just happened to be standing in the doorway of their home.

Just something to think about. Of course, I have indulged in my share of Irish Car Bombs and Black and Tans.
  32. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.89%

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    Note: If you should be in Ireland or in an Irish pub with Irish bartenders I do not reccommend ordering these drinks. The Irish Car Bomb is called such b/c of the IRA. Though not of the same scope, that would be something like calling a drink the "9/11". Both refer to fatal terrorist attacks. Black and Tans were British troops who patrolled the Irish countryside, terrorizing the populace. They were unemployed veterans, many of whom were traumatized by WWI trench warfare, so they took up cheap work "policing" Ireland. In my mom's village of less than 200 people there is an infamous story of Black and Tans randomly gunning down a mother and her child who just happened to be standing in the doorway of their home.

Just something to think about. Of course, I have indulged in my share of Irish Car Bombs and Black and Tans.
    Well I knew about the car bomb's history. Interesting tid bit about the black and tans
  33. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.82%

Yeah, not too many places here in Beantown make carbombs..

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 03:17 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 05:21 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 04:38 PM