Potatoes: Good, Bad or Ugly?

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
There is so much discordant opinion on these that I decided to open a discussion.
I'm not talking of sweet potatoes, whcih have a low GI and are for sure a "good" carb source, but of normal potatoes.
Promoters of the "paleolitic diet" would include them. Also, its not a non processed carb... but its GI is pretty high.

*confused*:think:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think regular white potatoes are fairly worthless. The GI is comparable to that of table sugar, and it doesn't have a great nutrient profile. If you're going to eat them, make sure you eat the skins.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
On a related note, is it okay/safe to eat potatoes raw? I hate cooking, and if I can avoid it I do. All fruits and veggies are eaten raw at my end. While raw red meat appeals to me, I've tasted it and damn it's good, for safety reasons I just don't do it of course. But potatoes, that's not a bad option. They're very portable, which makes them a good option for me.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
A whole wheat bagel is just as portable, will taste better, and has more fiber. I buy Thomas', and I think they have 8g of fiber and about 50g of low gi carbs.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
A whole wheat bagel is just as portable, will taste better, and has more fiber. I buy Thomas', and I think they have 8g of fiber and about 50g of low gi carbs.
And 11 grams of protein. But really, I love bagels.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
damn, how much do those Thomas Bagels cost? also, those english muffins that they're famous for, are they any good for low GI carbs? I can't remember what they're made out of...

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I buy the wheat bagels in 2 packages of 6 at Sam's Club for $3.50.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Definitely sounds like a better option to me than raw potatoes.
Then again I can get a 10 pound bag of potatoes for about 5 dollars or so (don't quote me on the price).

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, thx, I'm gonna have to check them out...

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
yeah their 100% whole wheat english muffins are a fine low gi carb source .. MUCH better when combined with a source of lean protein like chicken

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I buy the wheat bagels in 2 packages of 6 at Sam's Club for $3.50.
I would just check the nutritional info on these. I was buying them at BJ's wholesale, but they were restaurant style. They had about 2 g of fiber and were much higher in carbs. I suspect the GI was a lot higher on those.

I get the Thomas' Whole Wheat bagels for about $3 per half dozen, but they are often on sale. It comes out to just about 50cents per bagel.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
bagels are processed food and take longer to break down.

I'd rather eat a large golden baked potato.

I just feel stronger when I'm in the gym that if I eat a bagel.

Potatoes or oats are usually my preworkout carbs...

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Potatoes or oats are usually my preworkout carbs...
Sweet potatoes would be a great pre-wo source :)
normal ones not because of the high gi, but would be good in the post-post-workout meal.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
there is also a difference in redskin and white or yellow potatoes. baby redskins taste great (as do sweet potatoes) and have a good fiber and lower gi count than whites. Pretty much white potatoes are what people got to grow in Ireland after refining all the different varieties of potatoes to find the most cost effective/easiest to grow in that climate. If your a starving irishman (hey, im Irish so i can say these things...though the potato famine nothing to really crack jokes over), than I guess a white potato is better than nothing, but for bodybuilders I would stick to other things in general.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I think potatos in moderation are ok. But then I think almost anything that's not completely laden with trans/saturated fat and sugar is ok in moderation :D