What exactly is the 40\40\20 diet I keep reading about?

jhferry

Awards
Im thinking of doing the CKD diet but you guys keep mentioning the 40\40\20 diet. What is it exactly?

TBigs

Awards
Basically in a nutshell, it is 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, & 20% Fat

jhferry

Awards
I know BoBo is an advocate of this correct? Is it as simple of knowing your bmf and keeping to these calculations while keeping the carbs clean?

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Bodybuilding is much like any other sport.
To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach.
Arnold Schwarzenegger

and eat dbol like its candy---Arnold

TBigs

Awards
Is it as simple of knowing your bmf and keeping to these calculations while keeping the carbs clean?
You need to figure out your BMR and take into account your daily activities then use that figure to factor in the amount of protein, carbs & fat. Diet should be clean using mostly low gi carbs, lean meats, and EFAs. You would need to adjust the calorie number to suit what you are trying to do (bulking/cutting) and also to adjust to your body as the BMR is only a guide and it will vary from person to person.

Here is a good BMR tool. http://michaelandkendra.com/BMRCALC/bmrcalc.htm

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Im thinking of doing the CKD diet but you guys keep mentioning the 40\40\20 diet. What is it exactly?
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I think it was originally developed, at least in some form, by Dr. Barry Sears. The purpose is to maintain insulin levels in an optimal "Zone" hence the name. Regardless, many MD's now recommend this macro breakdown for both IDDM & NIDDM. Clean lower gi carbs are the backbone.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
It's also recommended by Hugo Rivera, among others.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
This is what I love about this forum. Someone asks a question, you have limited info yourself, you then seek to more info for your own edification and find all sorts of fun stuff.
Here is a page with a bunch of stuff and recipes to boot.

http://www.drsears.com/drsearspages/index.jsp

jhferry

Awards
Hate to bump up my own old thread...

I used the bmr calc and the figures it gave me were 55% protein, 35% carbs and 10% protein. Is this correct for the 40/40/20? Its a bit confusing. Which should I follow?

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
You have to change the %'s at the bottom. Put in 40% 40% 20% your self and then you'll get the right numbers.