fat-free/sugar free ice cream

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
alright, i gotta know. is there any possible way this can be actually be good for you? it's sweetened with splenda. here's the info on the back:

serving: 1/2 cup
cals: 100
total fat: 0
cholesterol:0
sodium: 50mg
total carbs: 20g
dietary fiber: 6g
sugars: 4g
sugar alcohol: 3g
protein: 4g

picked up some last night and i'll be damned it tastes like the real thing. made by 'eddy's'. compared with an equal serving of black beans, it's damn near identical.

IntensePump

IntensePump

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I need to look into this stuff if it is as good as it seems...

I am cutting and just gave into baskin robbins.....

alright, i gotta know. is there any possible way this can be actually be good for you? it's sweetened with splenda. here's the info on the back:

serving: 1/2 cup
cals: 100
total fat: 0
cholesterol:0
sodium: 50mg
total carbs: 20g
dietary fiber: 6g
sugars: 4g
sugar alcohol: 3g
protein: 4g

picked up some last night and i'll be damned it tastes like the real thing. made by 'eddy's'. compared with an equal serving of black beans, it's damn near identical.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
What's the ingredient list?
skim milk, maltodextrin, polydextrose, sorbitol, glycerin, whey protein, cocoa processed with alkali, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, natural and artificial flavor, cellulose gel, sucralose (splenda), carrageenan, acesulfame potassium, vitamin a palmitate.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
skim milk, maltodextrin, polydextrose, sorbitol, glycerin, whey protein, cocoa processed with alkali, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, natural and artificial flavor, cellulose gel, sucralose (splenda), carrageenan, acesulfame potassium, vitamin a palmitate.
Now Beelz, you know that's sugar :whip:

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
mmmmmmmmmmmm.. Ice cream with 6g fiber. :cool:

dd

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
LOL...remember, if it sounds, or in this case tastes, like it's too good to be true, then it's probably not true. You ice cream freak!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
LOL...remember, if it sounds, or in this case tastes, like it's too good to be true, then it's probably not true. You ice cream freak!
not even really a big fan of ice cream. i'm a cake guy. but when i saw it, i had to have it.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree. I mean if you want ice cream, or even candy or cheeseburger...Its ok once in a while!. In fact, I would advise having a "cheat meal" or "cheat snack" once in a while. How elese can you keep yourself sane?...Don't give in to that crap marketing "Healthy candy", "Guilt Free Ice Cream". If your gonna have candy, have some fucking candy!. If you gonna have ice cream have some fucking Ice Cream!. Just don't eat 12 candy bars, or an entire box of ice cream!.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I doubt the maltodextrin in there will be that big of a deal. The macro profile doesn't lie, it actually doesn't look too bad. 6g fiber? 4g protien? And no fat either? There's only 4 grams of sugar in there, so it's not "sugar free," per se, but worrying about 16 extra calories is being a bit anal, IMHO, even if they are high GI.

One thing I was always curious about; how do sweet n low, equal, etc all advertise as "sugar free" when they contain maltodextrin and possibly dextrose as well (I don't have one in front of me)? Are these not considered sugars?

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
One thing I was always curious about; how do sweet n low, equal, etc all advertise as "sugar free" when they contain maltodextrin and possibly dextrose as well (I don't have one in front of me)? Are these not considered sugars?
I believe because in each individual package it contains less than 1 gram therefore the FDA lets them say it contains zero.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree. I mean if you want ice cream, or even candy or cheeseburger...Its ok once in a while!. In fact, I would advise having a "cheat meal" or "cheat snack" once in a while. How elese can you keep yourself sane?...Don't give in to that crap marketing "Healthy candy", "Guilt Free Ice Cream". If your gonna have candy, have some fucking candy!. If you gonna have ice cream have some fucking Ice Cream!. Just don't eat 12 candy bars, or an entire box of ice cream!.
Oh and if you are going to have a beer have a full bodied one too. :cheers:

Malek256

Awards
There is NO question that malto's better than fructose. Yes, they are both high glycemic. But fructose is "specially bad". Your liver can use a little of it, but the body generally can't use it for glycogen -- so it just goes into fat. Pure and simple.

Malto's not like that -- eat too much and it goes to fat, but if your muscles are depleted on glycogen then GLUT-4 is upregulated and in it goes. Less fat.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There is NO question that malto's better than fructose. Yes, they are both high glycemic. But fructose is "specially bad". Your liver can use a little of it, but the body generally can't use it for glycogen -- so it just goes into fat. Pure and simple.

Malto's not like that -- eat too much and it goes to fat, but if your muscles are depleted on glycogen then GLUT-4 is upregulated and in it goes. Less fat.
Fructose actually will go to restoring liver glycogen and when full it will store it for reserves (fat). I also believe that in the case of extreme glycogen depletion the muscles will uptake whatever kind of carbohydrate for glycogen restoration.

Malek256

Awards
Yes, both correct. I should have been more explicit with the liver's use. Sorry for any confusion.

Let's just be clear: that glycogen repletion via fructose is purely the liver's glycogen and no other tissue (under normal circumstances). This is not true with dextrose or maltodextrin.

That makes for a significant difference in your ice cream, especially for "refeeds" (re: CKD's) or for brain glucose. That alone makes it a "better" cheat -- so even though it's still got "sugar" there's "sugar" (real bad) and "sugar" (maybe not bad, maybe good). Analagous to the "bad fat", "good fat" discussions -- where overexceeding need is STILL bad for body comp.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I feel your pain Beelz... you may be a cake man, but ice cream is my vice!

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
How 'bout cake and ice cream together? There's a double whammy.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
maybe that's where i have not been seeing better results cutting recently. i buy the big bags of apples.pears,bananas & cases of oranges at the costco for portable work carbs, but i've wondered if 4+ pieces of fruit a day might be too much fructose...i'm thinking about just getting off of sugar basically for awhile.