Pre-Workout Nutrition

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
Bobo had posted this study a few times and I just thought about something that could be relevent to fat loss. Wanted to get an opinion from some of you guys.

Carbohydrate nutrition before, during, and after exercise.

Costill DL.

The role of dietary carbohydrates (CHO) in the resynthesis of muscle and liver glycogen after prolonged, exhaustive exercise has been clearly demonstrated. The mechanisms responsible for optimal glycogen storage are linked to the activation of glycogen synthetase by depletion of glycogen and the subsequent intake of CHO. Although diets rich in CHO may increase the muscle glycogen stores and enhance endurance exercise performance when consumed in the days before the activity, they also increase the rate of CHO oxidation and the use of muscle glycogen. When consumed in the last hour before exercise, the insulin stimulated-uptake of glucose from blood often results in hypoglycemia, greater dependence on muscle glycogen, and an earlier onset of exhaustion than when no CHO is fed. Ingesting CHO during exercise appears to be of minimal value to performance except in events lasting 2 h or longer. The form of CHO (i.e., glucose, fructose, sucrose) ingested may produce different blood glucose and insulin responses, but the rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis is about the same regardless of the structure.

So here's the question, if we take some carbs pre-work out, then do we become more dependant on muscle glycogen during our wokr out once the availbale carbs have been used up? If this is the case wouldn't the body tend to lean towards FFA's post workout? My thinking here is this is a similar argument to the HIIT form of cardio. Burns alot of glycogen during but the EPOC afterwards burns more fat. Do we get the same results here, if pre-workout carbs are included? Or does it not matter at all, since muscle glycogen will be used during weight training regardless?

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So here's the question, if we take some carbs pre-work out, then do we become more dependant on muscle glycogen during our wokr out once the availbale carbs have been used up? If this is the case wouldn't the body tend to lean towards FFA's post workout? My thinking here is this is a similar argument to the HIIT form of cardio. Burns alot of glycogen during but the EPOC afterwards burns more fat. Do we get the same results here, if pre-workout carbs are included? Or does it not matter at all, since muscle glycogen will be used during weight training regardless?
I think you're looking into it a little too much. The amount or % of substrate used during exercise is determined by the intensity and duration of the work. Simply put, your pre-WO meal should be pretty much the same or similiar to your PWO meal.

Giantz11

Giantz11

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I realize that, but in that abstract it made it seem like carbs taken pre-work out would actually increase glycogen dependence. So after your work out would it make sense that your body uses a higher % of fat rather than if no pre work out carbs were taken. Sorry If i made the question seem to complicated.

IntensePump

IntensePump

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So after your work out would it make sense that your body uses a higher % of fat rather than if no pre work out carbs were taken.
Could you please explain how this makes sense? I'm not understanding how you are making your link between increased glycogen dependence and increased fat untilization.

thanks

Giantz11

Giantz11

Awards
  • Established
My thinking here is this is a similar argument to the HIIT form of cardio. Burns alot of glycogen during but the EPOC afterwards burns more fat.
From the top of the thread!