Increasing calories

bfgroup

Awards
I have just come to the conclusion that since really cleaning up my diet about a year or so ago that I am not getting mearly enough calories and my gains are suffering. I figure I will have to increase my daily calorie intake by about 1200 calories. Should I immediately increase it by that much or should I increase it gradually ( 500 calories first week, etc)? I am aware of the breakdown of carbs, proteins and fats but don't want to gain excess fat. I am not sure how this will affect my metabolism.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Your body can take a little while to adjust to new things like a large increase in calories. There's really no reason to immediately bump them that much so why not do like you said and take it by a couple hundred at a time, like maybe every so-many days go up another couple hundred. That should keep the fat gain at a minimum.

IntensePump

IntensePump

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would NOT bump it up all at once.

I was cutting for several weeks and was on a 1800-2000 cal a day diet. When I start bulking I immediated jumped to over 3000 cals a day. I had lots of bloating and feel that I put on quite a bit of unncecessary fat.

Gradually bump it up by about 300 calories a week. Once you are gaining the amount of weight that you want to gain per week, then keep it still.

I have just come to the conclusion that since really cleaning up my diet about a year or so ago that I am not getting mearly enough calories and my gains are suffering. I figure I will have to increase my daily calorie intake by about 1200 calories. Should I immediately increase it by that much or should I increase it gradually ( 500 caloriesfirst week, etc)? I am aware o

f the breakdown of carbs, proteins and fats but don't want to gain excess fat. I am not sure how this will affect my metabolism.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
In all seriousness, one of my biggest frustrations is going from one goal to another. The BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU CAN MAKE IS INCREASING CALS TOO FAST. If you have a faster metabolism you may be able to get away with more than others.

I dieted down a few months ago to get lubed up and take photos, and I did a few too many weeks of celebrating..fat comes on fast when you've been maintaining weight at 1900 kcals. :(

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
In all seriousness, one of my biggest frustrations is going from one goal to another. The BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU CAN MAKE IS INCREASING CALS TOO FAST. If you have a faster metabolism you may be able to get away with more than others.

I dieted down a few months ago to get lubed up and take photos, and I did a few too many weeks of celebrating..fat comes on fast when you've been maintaining weight at 1900 kcals. :(
That's tough bro. I'm sure you'll find an acceptable point where you're happy about your body and can also enjoy your food and not feel run down all the time from overly low calories and bodyfat. Don't get too wrapped up in all that stuff...