More PWO Low-GI Proof- New research!

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I got some journals in the mail today! :thumbsup:

The Metabolic Responses to High Carbohydrate Meals with Different Glycemic Indices Consumed During Recovery from Prolonged Strenuous Exercise

Emma Stevenson; Clyde Williams; Helen Biscoe

Abstract
This study investigated the metabolic responses to high glycemic index (HGI) or low glycemic index (LGI) meals consumed during recovery from prolonged exercise. Eight male, trained athletes undertook 2 trials. Following an overnight fast, subjects completed a 90-min run at 70% VO2max. Meals were provided 30 min and 2 h following cessation of exercise. The plasma glucose responses to both meals were greater in the HGI trial compared to the LGI trial (P < 0.05). Following breakfast, there were no differences in the serum insulin concentrations between the trials; however, following lunch, concentrations were higher in the HGI trial compared to the LGI trial (P < 0.05). This suggests that the glycemic index of the carbohydrates consumed during the immediate post-exercise period might not be important as long as sufficient carbohydrate is consumed. The high insulin concentrations following a HGI meal later in the recovery period could facilitate further muscle glycogen resynthesis.

Wanna stay lean? Low-GI is the way to go...

Stormrider

Awards
:goodpost:

I recently decided to ignore the low-gi post workout information and went with dextrose and maltodextrin. Man, 120g. of simple carbs four times a week makes you fat quick. :frustrate

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

I recently decided to ignore the low-gi post workout information and went with dextrose and maltodextrin. Man, 120g. of simple carbs four times a week makes you fat quick. :frustrate
Agreed. I, like you, am a converted High-GI fan. Actually this online "trainer" used to have me stop by the gas station on my way home from the gym to drink a 20 oz Coke. Damn.. :think:

Stormrider

Awards
Agreed. I, like you, am a converted High-GI fan. Actually this online "trainer" used to have me stop by the gas station on my way home from the gym to drink a 20 oz Coke. Damn.. :think:
Mmmmm, high fructose corn syrup. :rofl:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unfortunetly the profession isn't regulated to weed out the idiots.

:D

rippedtothebone

Awards
jay cutler also drinks coke post-workout.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
or so his ghost writer states...

in other words, its a lie.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established

:eek: 480 grams of malto will definitely crucify your fat loss goals.

Watcher

Awards
Very nice post!! I have cut back on PWO sugars significantly over the past year taking in only half of what I used to.

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
jay cutler also drinks coke post-workout.
Not according to his videos and his website and just about every article I've ever read on the guy.

He eats stuff like shredded potatoes, oatmeal with some real cane sugar, oat bars and rice cakes. He says he gets about 300 carbs. If he works out a second time he gets 150-200 carbs after that one.

AldrichAStern

Awards
Question -- any particular reason that you all grind up your oats before adding it to your pw shake? Can't you just blend that **** in with water/whey?

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Why not just cook the goddamn oatmeal and eat it in a bowl? It takes all of 10 minutes... I have a full time job, a part time job, go to school, and work out, and even I have time to fix a fucking bowl of oatmeal 3 times a day on workout days... :lol:

El_Matarife

Awards
Are we talking your PWO shake or your meal after consuming the shake. If its the sahke, what low GI do you suggest?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Question -- any particular reason that you all grind up your oats before adding it to your pw shake? Can't you just blend that **** in with water/whey?
Depends on your personal preference, how good your blender is, and how thick your protein mix is.

If your mix is thin and your blender doesnt cut up the oats you get 'oat sludge' at the bottom. Pre-grinding makes it easier to mix in.

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've been using maltodextrin for a while now, and now want to convert. I like to bring my shake with me to the gym is there anything else I can put in it besides oatmeal to get my carbs?

Nabeshin

Nabeshin

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunetly the profession isn't regulated to weed out the idiots.

:D
The free market rewards the intelligent consumer more than amply (e.g., FLA-Nutrition). :wave:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Big fat check in the mail.... :D

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've been using maltodextrin for a while now, and now want to convert. I like to bring my shake with me to the gym is there anything else I can put in it besides oatmeal to get my carbs?
Oats get a lot of praise on this board. It doesn't have to be oats and it doesn't have to be something you can throw in a liquid shake. Whole foods work fine.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Oats get a lot of praise on this board. It doesn't have to be oats and it doesn't have to be something you can throw in a liquid shake. Whole foods work fine.
Yeah, oats and sweet potatoes are about all I eat for carbs lately. oats are easy as hell to use (blender + milk + scoop of whey) and sweet potatoes are similar. 6-8 mins in the microwave and BAM good ass tasting sweet potato :D

sean taylor

sean taylor

West Coast Highland Athlete
Awards
  • Established
What about rice?
Brown and white.
I am half Asian and grew up with rice always ready to eat in a cooker. Look in my kitchen and what do you see? A rice cooker :)

BMW

Awards
  • Established
What about rice?
Brown and white.
I am half Asian and grew up with rice always ready to eat in a cooker. Look in my kitchen and what do you see? A rice cooker :)
im sure if i cut ya rice will spill out :)

sean taylor

sean taylor

Awards
  • Established
im sure if i cut ya rice will spill out :)
LOL
I bet it would too.
I remember as a kid eating so much rice it would come out whole, like corn...lol

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
What about rice?
Brown and white.
been thinking about getting a rick cooker here lately. expensive?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I prepare 2 cups brown rice with 4 cups low sodium chicken broth and some seasonings. Makes 6 cups cooked rice that I keep in a big ziplock in the fridge to portion out with my daily rations. No need for a rice cooker IMO.

As for the cooking the oats thing, I believe cooking raises the GI some? I know el dente pasta has a lower GI than fully cooked. I could be wrong about the oats. Anyone?

sean taylor

sean taylor

Awards
  • Established
been thinking about getting a rick cooker here lately. expensive?
Not at all. The prices is dependent mostly upon how big you want.
I bought mine 3 years ago from Chinatown in SF. It is a 4 cupper and has a warm feature so the rice just sits in there all the time.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I prepare 2 cups brown rice with 4 cups low sodium chicken broth and some seasonings. Makes 6 cups cooked rice that I keep in a big ziplock in the fridge to portion out with my daily rations. No need for a rice cooker IMO.

As for the cooking the oats thing, I believe cooking raises the GI some? I know el dente pasta has a lower GI than fully cooked. I could be wrong about the oats. Anyone?
Cooking oats has no effect on the GI...I have heard if you grind them up real fine it could raise it some, but not enough to have any real effect..

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
this thread...

okay---I'm gonna grind up oats and then cook 'em in a rice cooker with baked beans...

does that cover it???

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
this thread...

okay---I'm gonna grind up oats and then cook 'em in a rice cooker with baked beans...

does that cover it???
:lol:

I bought a rice cooker for about $10 at a local drugstore. Works great. Well worth the money.

There are definitely tons of great low GI carb options.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
wal-mart.......loves my.......credit card.....

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established