CKD and keto flu/ mental fog

bboyflash

Awards
Going back into ketosis the day after my fullbody depletion I experience a hard mental fog for the day. To combat this I take high doses of stimulants to feel somewhat normal. My question is are there any tips or tricks to help combat this other than stimulants? Exogenous ketones? GDAs? More sodium???

Thank you

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
The best way to shortcut the "keto flu" is to get deeper into keto faster. For the first 1-2 weeks be sure you are eating as little carbohydrate as possible. Once you establish ketosis you can increase carbs to 20-30g, but when you're first starting out I would shoot to keep them <10g per day to speed up the process of entering ketosis.

Another way to speed it up is to lower protein further and increase fat for the beginning. This will make it easier for your body to make the transition. You could use a GDA pre-bed, but I wouldn't recommend taking a GDA during the day without any carbs, but using a GDA like Slinmax before bed could provide some benefit to speed up the process

JFarmer1

Awards
Electrolytes and sodium is your issue. Join Ketogaines and you will learn all you need to know.

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
The best way to shortcut the "keto flu" is to get deeper into keto faster. For the first 1-2 weeks be sure you are eating as little carbohydrate as possible. Once you establish ketosis you can increase carbs to 20-30g, but when you're first starting out I would shoot to keep them <10g per day to speed up the process of entering ketosis.

Another way to speed it up is to lower protein further and increase fat for the beginning. This will make it easier for your body to make the transition. You could use a GDA pre-bed, but I wouldn't recommend taking a GDA during the day without any carbs, but using a GDA like Slinmax before bed could provide some benefit to speed up the process
Interested in Slinmax as I'm starting Carb Nite today. Is Slinmax the best GDA in your opinion?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Test flu, tren cough, keto flu, when did all this stuff start making everyone sick?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Interested in Slinmax as I'm starting Carb Nite today. Is Slinmax the best GDA in your opinion?
I might be partially biased, but I think Slinmax is one of the best options out there for GDA's. It's a very complete profile, and the feedback has been nothing but great on the forums. I've really found it to help with water retention, digestion, and bloating with higher carb meals.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Going back into ketosis the day after my fullbody depletion I experience a hard mental fog for the day. To combat this I take high doses of stimulants to feel somewhat normal. My question is are there any tips or tricks to help combat this other than stimulants? Exogenous ketones? GDAs? More sodium???

Thank you
Why not just go straight keto?

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Why not just go straight keto?
as a body builder, the last thing you want to do is go strait keto..

ketogenic diets are VERY catabolic. you WILL lose mass on a strait keto diet..

cycling 5 days on and 2 days off is were it is at for most people .. 10 days might work some but not many..

Ketosis is really the bodies response to starvation. it can be protective and destructive.
once in ketosis, the body creates an uptick of anabolism.. it sees the signal that your not eating so it doubles down to protect muscle mass.
this only lasts for a day or so... after which the body slowly begins to turn catabolic. destroying mass to keep you alive and allow your brain to function
while starvation is killing you, in hopes you can possibly find some food.

so how do you cycle?
easy.. lets pretend your just starting.

sunday night you will want to eat a high sugar meal right before bed. this is a trick to help you descend into keto as fast as possible. Basically you are trying to create a massive insulin spike which will help clearance of glycogen over the next couple days. low carbs starts the next morning

Monday morning you will do which ever lift session you need to bring up laggin body parts. let say back today. so you will lift as hard and heavy as possible. you want to capitolise on the carb load still in you to drive muscle growth. remember in a few hours from this lift session your body will perceive the missing carbs as the first signs of starvation.. moving onto moday after noon, pick the next weak link and pound the fek out of that lift session as well.. maybe this was leg day? for these lifts you want to work on strength and use a 6-8 rep scheme.

Tuesday morning you will do last of your big 3 lift session.. chest as hard as you can!! by this time your body is full on trying to protect your mass and is in a fully anabolic state. if you pushed really hard the last two days you will reach full keto by late Tuesday night.

Weds you will simply eat your low carb diet .. no cardio is needed during your ketosis.. if you must do something keep it super light duty.. any thing more will contribute to a brain fog.. you want to use the limited calories to run your self in a adequate manner. if your adding cardio you surpass the amount of calories needed to function and will leave you like a zombie.. just keep your calories right and relax for weds.

Thursday will be an exact repeat of Weds. no cardio just eat your macros.

Friday (for those who cant stretch out the keto time with out losing too much mass) today is where you will stop the decent and begin your climb out of the keto hole. you will eat your low carbs all day.. about an hour before you get to the gym for a total body depletion w/o, you will want to eat some fruit.. this will trick the body into releasing the last of its glycogen stores when your lifting later. this will prime you for a glycogen super comp.
for your total body w/o you want to be using the 8-12 rep range and pick two exercises for each body part and get to it.. don't slack push hard and try to get it done in under 2 hrs. after you are done immediately eat couple servings of dextrose, and protein.. after a couple hrs do t again.. in fact do this for the first 4 meals.. which will have you taking one at night time as well

Saturday morning transition to a starchy carb meals.. do this for the next 4 meals.. finally as you get through Saturday your final 4 meals for the weekend (minus the insulin crash meal before bed on Sunday night) will be low glycemic carbs. don't use a GDA until Sunday night trough Tuesday night

this is as simple as I can make for you. remember the brain fog is likely from dipping too low in calories.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ketogenic diets are not catabolic at all, but actually muscle protective.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This is great stuff. I just started keto last Weds. I am erring in the side of high protein, mod fats and low carbs.

My biggest issues this far is consistently being full.and having to try and shovel food in. Adding spoonfuls if flax seed oil and coconut oil tky coffee to at least try and keep calories up

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This is great stuff. I just started keto last Weds. I am erring in the side of high protein, mod fats and low carbs.

My biggest issues this far is consistently being full.and having to try and shovel food in. Adding spoonfuls if flax seed oil and coconut oil tky coffee to at least try and keep calories up
Are you going to be monitoring blood ketones?

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Urine, but after doing more research, seems blood monitoring is only sure fire way so I sent them back