diet for a cross country runner?

Cold

Awards
Are there any distance runners here? If so, I need a little help setting up a diet for my little sister. She's 17 years old, 5'6" and weighs around 120. Her goals are for cross country endurance running. I was thinking she should take in a lot of low gi carbs, with a moderate protien intake, and low fats. Also, I was thinking she should supplement with citrulline malate, multi-v, flax oil, and antioxidents. I was thinking she should carb load and carb deplete before the meets, but I'm not sure how to do that for running purposes. So if anyone has any advice I appreciate it.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Carbs, carbs, carbs. Carbs= performance

You wouldn't ever want to be carb-depleted.

Cold

Awards
I meant to carb deplete, then carb load for the meets.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bad idea. Just have her take in carbs 48 hrs prior to the race. I wouldn't even necessarily worry that much about the type of carbs b/c she has so much activity...you'd be amazed at some of the drinks some athletes can get away with because of their activity level.

Cold

Awards
Ok, sounds cool with me bro. How much protien do you think she should take in a day? I was thinking 50-70 grams a day since shes pretty small.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Your on the right track with the glycogen depletion idea. I am figuring you want a glycogen loading plan. Loading IS sport specific, so keep that in mind.
Just in case, that means training should be limited to the event to be performed. Here is a general outline:
Day Training Diet
1 ~90 minutes @ 70-75% V02 max 50%CHO (~5g/kg)
2 ~40 minutes @ 70-75% V02 max 50%CHO (~5g/kg)
3 ~40 minutes @ 70-75% V02 max 50%CHO (~5g/kg)
4 ~20 minutes @ 70-75% V02 max 70%CHO (~10g/kg)
5 ~20 minutes @ 70-75% V02 max 70%CHO (~10g/kg)
6 REST 70% CHO (~10g/kg)
7 Day of Event

Inform her that she may feel slightly/moderately bloated, remember w/every gram of glycogen there is ~3 gram of H2O (pretty sure that's the # it's been a while).

On day of event:
Before ~ 1 hr low-moderate GI CHO ~45-60g limit the fat & fiber
During- high GI CHO ~30-45 g/hour
After- ~1-1.5g/kg moderate-high GI for repletion; 2hr later ~ 1-1.5 g/kg low to moderate GI

If muscle loss is of concern, which to an extent it should be, add low to moderate amount of an easily digested protein source such as whey isolate. The body does have a tendency to use BCAA disproportionately during exercise, increase use of Leucine is ~2 x greater. I have not seen any studies with free form amino acids and endurance exercise, but then I have not really looked. Might be a good place to research.

Just a note, the 50% & 70% CHO listed above means the % of total calories for the day.

*glycogen loading plan from Coleman & Steen, Ultimate Sports Nutrition

Last edited: