High GI pre-sports - AnabolicMinds.com

High GI pre-sports

1. New Member

High GI before sports??? Not working for me

Has anyone had success with high-GI before aerobic activity such as sports? I read about it being recommended somewhere on this board, so I've tried consuming a shake of about 30g whey protein with 50g dextrose right before I played sports...

I've tried this twice. I consumed the shake about 10 minutes prior to heavily aerobic activities such as soccer, and both times I've definitely been MORE sluggish on the field.

Anyone have a reason for this? Thought high GI was supposed to give you a good energy boost, and if your diet is in check, you won't crash if you've been consuming low GI carbs. I didn't even crash... I just didn't experience any increased energy, and on the contrary was more tired.
    Last edited by AldrichAStern; 06-05-2005 at 12:06 PM. Reason: ;

2. Board Supporter

Try to match energy intake with energy expenditure.

Your shake has too many calories and/or is too high GI for your level of exercise. Likely your blood sugar is rising too fast and trigger insulin secretion and you are getting corresponding hypoglycemia. Either gradually consume your shake throughout your exercise or switch to a lower GI meal so that energy intake is spread out over your exercise interval.

Large, high-GI, meals are best left to post workout where you have created a large energy deficit.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AldrichAStern
    Has anyone had success with high-GI before aerobic activity such as sports? I read about it being recommended somewhere on this board, so I've tried consuming a shake of about 30g whey protein with 50g dextrose right before I played sports...

I've tried this twice. I consumed the shake about 10 minutes prior to heavily aerobic activities such as soccer, and both times I've definitely been MORE sluggish on the field.

Anyone have a reason for this? Thought high GI was supposed to give you a good energy boost, and if your diet is in check, you won't crash if you've been consuming low GI carbs. I didn't even crash... I just didn't experience any increased energy, and on the contrary was more tired.
    Before 1-4 hours; low to moderate GI ~1-4 g/kg (1 hr 1g/kg, 2hr 2g/kg...)

During ~30-60g/hour high GI

After 1.5g/kg high to moderate GI; 2 hrs later 1.5 g/kg moderate GI

Avoid hogh %fructose as CHO source due to slower absorption. Shoot for 45-60 grams low to mod. GI 1 hour before. 10 minutes before might work with resistance training but endurance activity is a totally different animal.
    Last edited by jonny21; 06-06-2005 at 11:34 AM. Reason: filling in the spots
    •   

4. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

DAMNIT!

I need to read the post next time. Ugh....this sleep thing is getting in the way.

In any event studies have shown that a low GI carbohydrate enhances performance better than a high GI source. During your workout/sport you could consume a small amount of high GI carbs. After your workout it depends on your goal. Replenishing amino acid stores is more important if you are worried about muscle loss.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

Similar Forum Threads

1. High GI carbs pwo and health?
    By chainsaw in forum Bulking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 12:06 PM
  2. High Carb, Medium/High GI, cutting experiment
    By TheTom in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 01:01 PM
  3. High GI or Low GI for carb loading
    By WiNgS in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4