Tell me what you think of this...(new pasta I found)

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Was in the supermarket the other day and happened to see this. "Barilla Plus" its called.

In one serving (2oz or 56g) there are
200 cal
1g fat
38g carb ( 4g fibre, 1g sugars)
10g protein

ingredients:
semolina, grain and legume flour blend (lentils, chickpeas, oats, spelt, barley, egg whites, ground flaxseed and wheat fiber), niacin, ferrous lactate (iron), thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid.

Looks like a promising alternative to regular (or even wheat) pasta. Now I know many of you dont eat pasta, but being Italian (my mother and her side of the family all immigrated), a poor college student, and living at home for the summer, I figured this would be a great alternative to our regular weekly pasta-binges.

Any thoughts? Looks damn good to me...havent tasted it yet though. The fat is from the flax seeds, the protein is from legumes and egg whites, etc etc.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Looks very low GI even though it's flour. Try it out and let us know how it tastes.

B

BigSwede

Awards
I've tried it; didn't notice any difference in taste, although it seemed a bit firmer in texture. I'll stick with my WW pasta. BTW, Trader Joe's has a phenomenal low-carb pasta sauce/marinara. Don't have one on hand here, but it's approx. 6g of carbs per serving. States "low carb" on the jar. Awesome when coupled with their WW pasta.

They've also got a sprouted multigrain-bread that has 7g of protein per slice.

Edit: "Bella Vita" low-carb pasta sauce.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Its good that you mention theres no real difference in taste. I definately am looking foward to this as being a replacement for our normal semolina pasta that we eat constantly (less so for me, as I try and eat fairly low GI, however my parents/brother need something like this badly).

Any reason why you would stick with your WW pasta Bigswede?

I've also come across those multigrain breads with protein in them. I like incorporating them to broaden my protein sources.

Also, for sauces we (I usually) make my own...the only sugar would come from the tomatoes, we dont add any, so I'm not really worried about the sauces (although thank you very much for that recommendation; there are no trader joe's around me however).

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Looks very low GI even though it's flour. Try it out and let us know how it tastes.
I just had some. Without any sauce (tasting for salt/level of "cookedness") it tasted great, alittle tiny bit different in texture.

With sauce, I could tell no difference, texture or taste wise.

Excellent purchase, I will be mandating my family cooks with this from now on.