Low GI Post workout drink, really???

Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Originally posted by Draven

This one to start.

Muscle glycogen storage after prolonged exercise: effect of the glycemic index of carbohydrate feedings.

Burke LM, Collier GR, Hargreaves M.

Department of Sports Medicine, Australian Institute of Sport, Australian Capital Territory.

The effect of the glycemic index (GI) of postexercise carbohydrate intake on muscle glycogen storage was investigated. Five well-trained cyclists undertook an exercise trial to deplete muscle glycogen (2 h at 75% of maximal O2 uptake followed by four 30-s sprints) on two occasions, 1 wk apart. For 24 h after each trial, subjects rested and consumed a diet composed exclusively of high-carbohydrate foods, with one trial providing foods with a high GI (HI GI) and the other providing foods with a low GI (LO GI). Total carbohydrate intake over the 24 h was 10 g/kg of body mass, evenly distributed between meals eaten 0, 4, 8, and 21 h postexercise. Blood samples were drawn before exercise, immediately after exercise, immediately before each meal, and 30, 60, and 90 min post-prandially. Muscle biopsies were taken from the vastus lateralis immediately after exercise and after 24 h. When the effects of the immediate postexercise meal were excluded, the totals of the incremental glucose and insulin areas after each meal were greater (P < or = 0.05) for the HI GI meals than for the LO GI meals. The increase in muscle glycogen content after 24 h of recovery was greater (P = 0.02) with the HI GI diet (106 +/- 11.7 mmol/kg wet wt) than with the LO GI diet (71.5 +/- 6.5 mmol/kg). The results suggest that the most rapid increase in muscle glycogen content during the first 24 h of recovery is achieved by consuming foods with a high GI.
    Once again, where does it say the RATE of resynthesis (muscle repair) is increased. I want the RATE not the AMOUNT.

So I ask you once again, show me a study that shows the rate of muscle repair is increased with greater glycogen content. I've already shown you one that says it doesn't make a difference at all. It seems that the studies I have posted are relevant to points addressed, but the ones for the High GI camp are just opinion, specualtion and marketing from large supp companies.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

2. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Originally posted by scotty2

I'm playing with you. I thought you did it purposely to fire me up.
    I can do that in chat. No need for it here. In fact I made a mistake in the post where I said I didn't check for grammar errors.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  3. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

This one to start.

When the effects of the immediate postexercise meal were excluded, .[/color]
    So why would they do that? Could it be that the post exercise meals and/or shake reacts differently that the rest of the day? Could it be that your insulin sensitive after post exercise? Could be....
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.42%

Originally posted by Bobo

Once again, where does it say the RATE of resynthesis (muscle repair) is increased. I want the RATE not the AMOUNT.

So I ask you once again, show me a study that shows the rate of muscle repair is increased with greater glycogen content. I've already shown you one that says it doesn't make a difference at all. It seems that the studies I have posted are relevant to points addressed, but the ones for the High GI camp are just opinion, specualtion and marketing from large supp companies.
    Well now your on to a different subject. you clearly said "I've seen none that state High GI carbs increase the rate of synthesis", to which the study I posted clearly says that glycogen was produced (synthesized) fatser and in greater quantity with high GI.

Now, as you pointed out in the above study the rate of RE-synthesis of MUSCLE TISSUE is the same. So there shouldn't be any for or against either, right? We are thinking of two different things. Plus I never said one was greater than the other in this reagrd (resynthesis), just that most of the time you can find studies to back both options, which is true. They both work.
  5. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Another one:

Comparison of carbohydrate and milk-based beverages on muscle damage and glycogen following exercise.

Wojcik JR, Walber-Rankin J, Smith LL, Gwazdauskas FC.

Department of Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg 24061, USA.

This study examined effects of carbohydrate (CHO), milk-based carbohydrate-protein (CHO-PRO), or placebo (P) beverages on glycogen resynthesis, muscle damage, inflammation, and muscle function following eccentric resistance exercise. Untrained males performed a cycling exercise to reduce muscle glycogen 12 hours prior to performance of 100 eccentric quadriceps contractions at 120% of 1-RM (day 1) and drank CHO (n = 8), CHO-PRO (n = 9; 5 kcal/kg), or P (n = 9) immediately and 2 hours post-exercise. At 3 hours post-eccentric exercise, serum insulin was four times higher for CHO-PRO and CHO than P (p < .05). Serum creatine kinase (CK) increased for all groups in the 6 hours post-eccentric exercise (p < .01), with the increase tending to be lowest for CHO-PRO (p < .08) during this period. Glycogen was low post-exercise (33+/-3.7 mmol/kg ww), increased 225% at 24 hours, and tripled by 72 hours, with no group differences. The eccentric exercise increased muscle protein breakdown as indicated by urinary 3-methylhistidine and increased IL-6 with no effect of beverage. Quadriceps isokinetic peak torque was depressed similarly for all groups by 24% 24 hours post-exercise and remained 21% lower at 72 hours (p < .01). In summary, there were no influences of any post-exercise beverage on muscle glycogen replacement, inflammation, or muscle function.

Last time I checked, milk is pretty low GI.
  6. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

More?

Simple and complex carbohydrate-rich diets and muscle glycogen content of marathon runners.

Roberts KM, Noble EG, Hayden DB, Taylor AW.

Faculty of Physical Education, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada.

The effects of simple-carbohydrate (CHO)- and complex-CHO-rich diets on skeletal muscle glycogen content were compared. Twenty male marathon runners were divided into four equal groups with reference to dietary consumption: depletion/simple, depletion/complex, nondepletion/simple, and nondepletion/complex. Subjects consumed either a low-CHO (15% energy [E] intake), or a mixed diet (50% CHO) for 3 days, immediately followed by a high-CHO diet (70% E intake) predominant in either simple-CHO or in complex-CHO (85% of total CHO intake) for another 3 days. Skeletal muscle biopsies and venous blood samples were obtained one day prior to the start of the low-CHO diet or mixed diet (PRE), and then again one day after the completion of the high-CHO diet (POST). The samples were analysed for skeletal muscle glycogen, serum free fatty acids (FFA), insulin, and lactate and blood glucose. Skeletal muscle glycogen content increased significantly (p less than 0.05) only in the nondepletion/simple group. When groups were combined, according to the type of CHO ingested and/or utilization of a depletion diet, significant increases were observed in glycogen content. Serum FFA decreased significantly (p less than 0.05) for the nondepletion/complex group only, while serum insulin, blood glucose, and serum lactate were not altered. It is concluded that significant increases in skeletal muscle glycogen content can be achieved with a diet high in simple-CHO or complex-CHO, with or without initial consumption of a low-CHO diet.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.42%

So why would they do that? Could it be that the post exercise meals and/or shake reacts differently that the rest of the day? Could it be that your insulin sensitive after post exercise? Could be....
    They were removing the fact that there would be a greater insulin response post workout from high GI and they were looking at the daily totals not immediate response. You've said yourself it's not only about the immediate response but the what happens over the next 24/hrs.

I don't understand why you're getting so aggressive with this, all I said was that both worked and there are studies to back noth, calm down.
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

They were removing the fact that there would be a greater insulin response post workout from high GI and they were looking at the daily totals not immediate response. You've said yourself it's not only about the immediate response but the what happens over the next 24/hrs.

I don't understand why you're getting so aggressive with this, all I said was that both worked and there are studies to back noth, calm down.
    Bobo is militant.
  9. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Well now your on to a different subject. you clearly said &quot;I've seen none that state High GI carbs increase the rate of synthesis&quot;, to which the study I posted clearly says that glycogen was produced (synthesized) fatser and in greater quantity with high GI.

Now, as you pointed out in the above study the rate of RE-synthesis of MUSCLE TISSUE is the same. So there shouldn't be any for or against either, right? We are thinking of two different things. Plus I never said one was greater than the other in this reagrd (resynthesis), just that most of the time you can find studies to back both options, which is true. They both work.
    You knew what I was referring too because it went with the arguement thats in the numerous pages of this debate. THe AMOUNT doesn't effect the RATE. As for the benefits, are you going to sit there and tell me from a health aspect that consuming High GI sources are better in the long run than a lower GI source (oatmeal)? Which one is better? Which one will have a greater effect on insulin sensisitivity in the long run? Which was has a greater chance of being stored as adipose tissue since a some of the circualting glucsoe does not get utilized by the exercised muscles? (study already posted). I would like to know why you would recommend a high GI source to anyone since the first phase (30-60 minutes) is insulin independent on glycogen storage? Is is the "catabolic" arguement because that one is already been shown to be bunk.
  10. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

I though the thread title was "Low GI POST workout drink". My point were addressing the immediate response as the title implies.

Aggressive? Oh come on. THis isn't even close to being aggressive.
  11. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

If both work, and one has less chance of being stored as fat, then what haven't you been swayed on?

You've admitted that both work so whats the problem?
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.42%

I give upo Bobo, you keep coming back with something different. In my org. statement all I said was both worked. I then thought you were questioning me about studies showing different rates of glycogen replenishment, that's all. My response had only to do with that statement, not where this thread is currently at (Especially since I haven't reread this thread in a long time so I don't even remeber where we left off). I never said I suggested High GI or low, I only said both worked and wasn't personally swayed to one side or another. I already admitted low GI has less chance of spillage and we all know that insulin supresses Cortisol, hence my statement about being anti-catabolic. As far as I'm concerned it really comes down to personal choice. I think having oats in my shake tastes like ****, so I don't do that. Ilike the malto better. Plain and simple.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.42%

If both work, and one has less chance of being stored as fat, then what haven't you been swayed on?

You've admitted that both work so whats the problem?
    Haha, I think we both got a little confused about what was trying to be said.

We're on the same page, just I read upside down.
  14. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Well you brought up taste and I can't find a study to support my arguement there
  15. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.21%

[
    Originally posted by chi_town
    I think this really is more complicated than some here have led us to believe. The PW shake does many things as we all know. Which thing is more important........I';m not sure.....but IMO increasing glycogen synthisis, glycogen storage....as well as generally getting the body QUICKLY out of the catabolic state it is from training must surely be what is optimal
    The body will not be all that catabolic if you have ingested a low gi carb/protein PRE-workout meal. This meal is probably even more important than the post-workout meal, as it supplies increased energy and stamina for a grueling workout, as well as releasing a steady flow of amino acids, keeping the body anabolic throughout the workout, and greatly diminishing the need for a huge and immediate insulin response afterwards. The key to continuous muscle growth is to keep the body anabolic throughout the day by maintaining a constant positive nitrogen balance. Too much emphasis is placed on post-workout nutrition, and not enough on keeping the body anabolic all day long!
  16. Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.96%

JB,

I was referring to post.........not pre.

Too much emphasis is placed on post-workout nutrition, and not enough on keeping the body anabolic all day long!
    I agree for the most part.

But when you look stricly at getting out of a catabolic state.......that is another issue.

You do not have to be anabolic immediately post Wo....sure it would be nice......but the way I understand it is that the real anabolic reactionary boost actually comes many hours later.....via HGH, IGF1 (both local and as a result of HGH production)

So being anabolic immediately after your WO......sounds nice.....and I guess the process of becomming and shifting to the anabolic state begins post WO......but to me the immediate need is to stop the state that can lend itself to sacrificing the most muscle. Blood glucose levels as well as glycogen levels are what I deam as most important Post WO.

Ilike oats and oatmeal, I just feel that that would be better to wait until the next meal......as a slight insulin spike is what is in order post WO.being that the rise in glucose levels and coresponding insulin release will aid in getting out of the catabolic state the fastest.

PEACE
  17. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

I also think the whole "catabolic" state is way overblown. You are not that catabolic post workout. The glycogen loss is not close to what people think. Remember ANY insulin repsonse will elleviate this. THe response from oatmeal is greater than normal since post exercise you are insulin sensitive anyway.

Basically once you consume anything thart has some sort of carb/protein mix, the mild catabolic state is gone.
  18. Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.96%

You are not that catabolic post workout. The glycogen loss is not close to what people think. Remember ANY insulin repsonse will elleviate this. THe response from oatmeal is greater than normal since post exercise you are insulin sensitive anyway.

I would agree about the catabolic state.......somewhat......but only if not cutting or on a keto diet.

Maybe it's just my keto type of thinking that keeps me from seeing this. I guess I see the argument for using both types of carbs Post WO other times. Maybe some time I'll try 15 grams Dextrose, with about 15 g of carbs from some oats or oatmeal together with my protein PW.

Of course........this I would first try this only if not cutting on keto .
  19. _AJ
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.67%

I agree with the post oatmeal shake as I feel a lot better and have not noticed any difference in recovery. I am currently cutting, I have read different numbers as to how much PRO and CHO to intake in the post meal. Also currently I use some whey with some EFA as a pre workout shake as I notice that intensity and strength decrease when CHO are ingested beforehand. Is it ok to take just whey preworkout(44 grams) and would that be enough to keep me out of the catabolic state.

Thanks
  20. IPR
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.33%

Very interesting thread.

Not stating an opinion (abit hot in here at present it seems ) but all the debate with regard to low GI carbs post workout has centred around glycogen synthesis, but surely this is only a part of the impact the choice of post workout carbs has.

In an earlier post Bobo mentions that post workout GH is high so cortisol is lower than most assume and not as catabolic. But isn't this the period where GH drops along with testosterone and cortisol does rise with GH release having peaked somewhere between 20min to 50mins after commencement of exercise?

Considering the short shelf life of plasma GH, would high GI carbs post workout be of benefit with liver produced IGF-1, or for that matter to what extent does the level of insulin impact on muscle hypertrophy via the local IGF-1 produced?

Another question I have in my mind is low GI or high GI better in respect of achieving a rebound in test levels follwoing exercise?

Finally, JB promotes pre-workout carbs, to what extent will this impact on GH release during exercise if any?

I should point out that I am looking at this from a low-carbing/CKD standpoint.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.33%

faster=better?

i've been pondering this whole high gi vs low gi issue for a while as well, and this thread raises some interesting issues. i personally am not fond of the malto/dextro combo at all, it just seems so unnatural, and i dont really feel that such a large portion of my daily carb intake should come from this source. further, after a workout, i am STARVING. i don't feel like having any kind of shake, and dont feel right delaying my hunger with a shake. on the contrary, i crave food, a big meal of steak, tuna, potatoes etc. of course, if a shake really is best, then i'm all for it. i'm also always leary of the supplement industry, and feel they have a large hand in the idea of the post workout shake, and fund many of the studies that support their products.
    in any event, if high gi carbs with protein elicit the greatest insulin response, does that necessarily mean this will produce the greatest amount of muscle? i mean, does faster really mean better? i'm also curious what pros consume post workout, does anyone know? i read dave draper's book, brother iron sister steel, and know that he eats a hamburger patty and baked potato (high gi carb, intentional?). he is pretty old school tho..........

PD
  22. Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.96%

IPR, good points......you need to stop by here more often .
    BTW.......its not hot over here, it just a severly high testoerone enviornment.......alot of 1-test and other goodies used by many here. Don't sweat these guys.......they just seem like @ssholes........but they are not. It's a mix of sarcasm and science in here......LOL

For those of you who don't know him.
    IPR is a fellow Mod at CKD.com

PEACE
  23. IPR
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.33%

Thanks Chi

Been spending a fair bit of time just reading on this forum.......so much great stuff posted.
  24. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

they just seem like @ssholes........but they are not.
    oh no............................ ....they are
  25. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

He's right. We are
  26. Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.96%

Look there's one of the AM clowns now.

Hey BOZO......I mean bobo, your not an @ss, your just socially challenged.

It's like a circus in here.......... LOL
  27. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.21%

For those of you who don't know him.
    IPR is a fellow Mod at CKD.com

PEACE
    Good to see you here, IPR. For those who don't already know http://c-k-d.com/ is a wonderful board devoted to keto dieting and pre-contest fat loss.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.42%

He's right. We are
    Yep. Now !#@% off!

Oh, and Bobo convinced me of Low GI all the way! Never again will I consume that highly processed sugar filled CRAP, again.
  29. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Thanks Draven. I'm just doing my part to help humanity...

30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.42%

Originally EDITED by BOBO
    Oh, and Bobo convinced me of Low GI all the way! Never again will I consume that highly processed sugar filled CRAP, again.
    LMAO. I couldn't have edited my own post any better Bobo..
  31. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Thanks Draven. I'm just doing my part to help humanity...

I eat donuts.
    Last edited by Dwight Schrute; 06-07-2003 at 03:48 PM.
  32. IPR
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.33%

Originally posted by scotty2
    DICK
    Its the high level of intellectual debate that keep me coming back to this board
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48%

This was a great discussion.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best Post Workout Drink without Dairy
    By Jas in forum Supplements
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 08-25-2013, 01:16 PM