Keto to Bulk

jbellx3

Awards
I have been on my first Keto diet for about 3 months...finally lost that last little bit of fat! Now I want to transtion into a bulk phase. Do I need to take a few weeks and slowly reintroduce carbs to my body, or can I just jump into a bulk? I am always under 20g of carbs on keto and was very strict! Bulk will jump carbs up to around 486g on training days-4 days a week...

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Do you plan on bulking with keto or with carbs?

jbellx3

Awards
Not going to be bulking with keto. Will be doing a recomp plan with carbs around 486 on traing days and 93g on off days.Protein around 1g per pound, fat will be low on high carb days, and alittle higher on low carb days... Im just not sure if stopping keto and jumping straight into a high card phase would be good for me without a reintroduction phase of carbs.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
You could do a slight introduction, maybe a week tops if you'd like. There probably isn't a ton of change that occurs other than a bit at the cellular level.
I am not an expert on this by any means, but I'll offer some input haha..

When switching back, I would stick to starchy stuff.. So not the cookies and brownies and breads and what not.. but more so the whole food approach of potatoes, rice, beans, whole grains, etc. Your energy might wain a little bit so maybe that is why you would want to do a slight introduction to get your body used to the more starchy carbs and whatever you may eat, so you aren't totally lethargic feeling. Because man, after fat adapted training... carb training is tough for me.

It doesn't sound like you are switching back to "pizza, soda, candy, etc." so I'm sure you will be fine!

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
So you're going into carb cycling, looks like you have it covered! I don't personally think there's a transition period, I was full Keto for a couple of months but the past four I've been doing CKD and packing in 550g carbs in a day once a week and I'm really liking it! I'll probably be moving to a TKD when I bulk, which is just high GI carbs around training. If you want any advice or info just ask bro

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Since you already have fat adapted, you can either just increase your calorie from protein and fat and stay in ketosis, or you can implement carbs. Personally I would do a tkd style approach and add in carbs only around your workouts. On restdays, stay on your maintenance macros from just fats and protein. The additional cals you add will be from carbs and since they are around your workouts your body will partition then more effectively.

jbellx3

Awards
Maybe TKD....this was my first time on Keto and it was amazing for fat loss! But, I dont like the flat muscles and I miss a cheat day every once in awhile. TKD might be a good solution...But if you working out 4 days a week and doing high carbs on those days, how would your body ever have a chance to go into ketosis? It just seems like carb cycling to me with no carb days on non workout days?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Maybe TKD....this was my first time on Keto and it was amazing for fat loss! But, I dont like the flat muscles and I miss a cheat day every once in awhile. TKD might be a good solution...But if you working out 4 days a week and doing high carbs on those days, how would your body ever have a chance to go into ketosis? It just seems like carb cycling to me with no carb days on non workout days?
You won't get back into ketosis... But why does that matter?

It's a very effective way to get results, and you will maintain your insulin sensitivity. When you eat carbs it is with a purpose, and sinc eyour already fat adapted and a large portion of the diet is fat, your body will still be utilizing it effectively.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Not a fan of this as a concept, growth occurs easier with some more insulin in the picture. Plus I'd feel bloated around the clock trying to eat 70% or more of my diet as fats while in a surplus.

If you go ahead with it tag me in to watch, but I'm a skeptic on paper

Ketoboya

Awards
If i was you
Why waste that time
Spent getting keto adapted

You can increase ur calories thru fats and put on size
It will be slightly slower but all ur gains will be lean mass