Nuts before bed good or bad?

xanderjd

Awards
Cashews, pistachios, almonds, are these ideal late night snacks close to bedtime?

Ideally, I try to avoid any foods at least an hour prior to going to bed, but it was part of an argument and I thought I'd present it here.

Ch12matt

Awards
Just like taking a slow protein overnight?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think that is fine to take those before bed. It's just fat and protein. I just try and stay away from a lot of carbs late at night.

xanderjd

Awards
Yeah, I definitely avoid carbs past 6 or 7pm.

And yeah Matt, I figured as much..kinda like casein protein with extra fat?..

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Might be good to enhance hormone production?

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
casein protein and wake up with huge guns.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I think adding in healthy fats before bed is a great option. Casein protein certainly has its benefits, but don't default to thinking it has to be a powder supplement. Casein can be found in a lot of foods like greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Both of these with some nuts or healthy fats make for a great nighttime snack

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes I can't stop myself from having to eat late at night, I'd imagine eating nuts instead of other snacks to be way healthier overall

Ch12matt

Awards
Sometimes I can't stop myself from having to eat late at night, I'd imagine eating nuts instead of other snacks to be way healthier overall
Just have to watch how much you have, the fats sneak up quickly.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nuts before bed are fine. You do not need to eat pre bed, people will often think you will go catabolic overnight, but that is not the case.

However, can a protein shake or protein meal be beneficial pre bed, absolutely.

Many athletes like to consume a last protein shake just before turning in for the night. This provides their muscles with extra amino acids while they sleep, and that's good for muscle growth, they say. And they're right too: Dutch nutritionists confirmed the theory in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.
http://www.ergo-log.com/protein-shake-before-bed-stimulates-muscle-growth.html

If you drink a protein shake before going to sleep, you'll make more muscle protein during the night. You knew that already. And if you do weight training that evening too, the muscle build up will increase even more. Ok, you knew that too. But strictly speaking, it hadn't been scientifically demonstrated. Now it has, and Dutch nutritionists have published their findings in the Journal of Nutrition.
http://www.ergo-log.com/strength-training-evening-protein-shake-before-bed.html

If you've just started resistance training and want to see results fast, then a discovery made by nutritionists at the University of Maastricht may be just what you're looking for. The Dutch researchers discovered that beginners at strength training can almost double the amount of muscle mass they build up by drinking an extra protein shake just before going to bed.
http://www.ergo-log.com/protein-shake-nightcap-gives-strength-athletes-more-muscle.html

If you want to eat some fats and you can fit them in your daily macros, do that as well. In the bigger picture, hit your daily cals and macros.