Anyone able to critique this keto diet for me?

3v1l

3v1l

Awards
Stats:
Weight:170lbs
BF: 18% Fat Carb Protein
Breakfast 7:00am
4 Large Hard Boiled Eggs 15.91 18.87
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (in coffee) 27.2
(workout 8:00am until 8:45)

Post Workout 9:45am
1 scoop of whey 23
16g Dextrose 16
5g Creatine

Lunch 12:45pm
3.5oz Tuna 21
3oz Cheddar Cheese 28.19 1.45 21.18

Mid Meal (3:45pm)
1 cup cubed avocado 22.98 11.09
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (in coffee) 27.2

Mid Meal (5:45pm)
1 tablespoons of flaxseed oil 27.2
1Cup mixed salad greens 1.63
1 Cup Cucumber 3.55
3oz Cheddar Cheese 18.79 14.12

Dinner (7:45pm)
5oz Canned Chicken 11.29 30.91
2 Stalks Celery 4.67
Cup of broccoli 4.61

Total 178.76g 43g 131.71g

My aim is to get down to 10% body fat by end of august time. This will be the plan for Sunday - Friday 5pm then I will switch into carb refeed stage (approx 634g of carbs). I am keeping the same workout split (monday chest, tuesday back and rear delts, wed legs, thurs front and side delts and traps, fri arms) except I will not be doing cardio for the first few weeks. I would love suggestions, nay I need suggestions!!

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Instead of Coconut Oil, why not look into getting Sesalean from Avant? It would be interesting to see its effects on a ketogenic diet. Why no cardio (some HIIT would burn away any glycogen if you do enough)?

3v1l

3v1l

Awards
Instead of Coconut Oil, why not look into getting Sesalean from Avant? It would be interesting to see its effects on a ketogenic diet. Why no cardio (some HIIT would burn away any glycogen if you do enough)?
I'm actually thinking of cardio maybe 1x HIT during the week and some nonstrenous hiking on weekends. I do have a question though - does anyone know a substitute for these oils? Anyway I can get the same fat intake by not using the oils? Oh and the coconut oil is really just since I thought it would go well with the coffee!

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I'd say just buy some Sesathin and Enova if you need additional fat. Oh, granulated lecithin is delicious and would make a tremendous difference in this diet (any lecithin would do, but granulated is awesome) as it provides phospholipids (inositol, choline, etc., although phospholipids contribute little to energy) and great taste and texture.

3v1l

3v1l

Awards
Okey dokey! This is better now. Cardio will be 1x per week HIT along with low-medium intensity hiking on weekend day. Meal plan has changed to fi the budget:

Breakfast 7:00am
4 Large fried Eggs

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil (in coffee) 13.6
(workout 8:00am until 8:45)

Post Workout 9:45am
1 scoop of whey 23
16g Dextrose 16
5g Creatine

Lunch 12:45pm
3.5oz Tuna 21
2 cups of pork rinds

Mid Meal (3:45pm)
1 cup cubed avocado
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil (in coffee)

Mid Meal (5:45pm)
1 cup of cubed avocado
1 Cup mixed salad greens
1 Cup Cucumber

Dinner (7:45pm)
5oz Canned Chicken
2 Stalks Celery
1 Cup of broccoli
1 cup of cubed avocado

Total (fat)168.56g (carb)43g (protein)141.71g

I would love to try the sesathin but i'm poor right now. Unless avant wants to send me some so I can post a detailed log on here, unfortunately I just can't budget it! (hint hint!)

3v1l

3v1l

Awards
Well started the program today. Official weight in was 171 (must be that weekend cheat!). My body does feel a little weird right now but other than that had a good arm workout today and felt some nice pumps. I plan on updating this every few days or so if anyone really cares.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Isnt protein a little low? I thought with keto you are supposed to have 1g/lb.

kwantam

the triumph of the grill
Awards
  • Established
Isnt protein a little low? I thought with keto you are supposed to have 1g/lb.
I've done a keto with .75g/lb and actually put on muscle. Depends entirely on the person. Most important thing is to keep cals from fat >65% (preferrably >70%).

3v1l, are you doing cardio to help you deplete glycogen after your carb-up? For example, a Saturday carb-up should be followed by Sunday AM cardio to help burn away liver glycogen as fast as possible to help you get back into ketosis. IMHO, the standard recommendation (low-intensity cardio after carb-up) is complete bullshit; HIIT or just long runs of moderate to high intensity will without question deplete glycogen faster. When I was CKDing, I'd run (not jog) about 8 miles on Sunday morning and would be back in ketosis by that evening easily.

Mega-dosing ALA during the carb-up will also help you get back into ketosis faster.

I'd recommend picking up a glucometer if you're interested in monitoring your body's state with respect to ketosis. Ketostix suck ass, and you should be drinking enough water that they never really register that strongly anyway. With a glucometer, aim for 50-70 ng/dl (kind of depends on the person; I tend to run around 60-65ng/dl, but some people run lower or higher).

You're planning on skipping the first carb-up, right? It's generally a good idea.

Also, once you plan it out, post up what you're planning on eating for carb-up.

Oh, one more thing: I recommend the forums at http://www.c-k-d.com/. A good bunch of people over there.

-kwantam

3v1l

3v1l

Awards
I've done a keto with .75g/lb and actually put on muscle. Depends entirely on the person. Most important thing is to keep cals from fat >65% (preferrably >70%).

3v1l, are you doing cardio to help you deplete glycogen after your carb-up? For example, a Saturday carb-up should be followed by Sunday AM cardio to help burn away liver glycogen as fast as possible to help you get back into ketosis. IMHO, the standard recommendation (low-intensity cardio after carb-up) is complete bullshit; HIIT or just long runs of moderate to high intensity will without question deplete glycogen faster. When I was CKDing, I'd run (not jog) about 8 miles on Sunday morning and would be back in ketosis by that evening easily.[/QUOTE=kwantam]

I wasn't planning on it but thanks for the heads up. I might do one tonight just to help get into ketosis quicker.

Mega-dosing ALA during the carb-up will also help you get back into ketosis faster.

I'd recommend picking up a glucometer if you're interested in monitoring your body's state with respect to ketosis. Ketostix suck ass, and you should be drinking enough water that they never really register that strongly anyway. With a glucometer, aim for 50-70 ng/dl (kind of depends on the person; I tend to run around 60-65ng/dl, but some people run lower or higher)

You're planning on skipping the first carb-up, right? It's generally a good idea. [/QUOTE=kwantam]
I was planning on it but I have a company sponsored trip to Mexico that I can't avoid. I'm hoping to at least run some cardio so i'll just eat sparingly.

Also, once you plan it out, post up what you're planning on eating for carb-up.[/QUOTE=kwantam]
I will post it up later on tonight.

Oh, one more thing: I recommend the forums at http://www.c-k-d.com/. A good bunch of people over there.

-kwantam
I do feel a little weird today, kind of like my body is saying whoaw where's the carbs buddy? But strangely i'm not very hungry at all. I have stuck to the plan exactly yesterday and today. Also drank 1 gallon of water. Previously I was on body for life so thats my level of dedication as I completed the program losing 8% body fat in 12 weeks. NOw i'm more experienced and feel I can accomplish more.

3v1l

3v1l

Awards
I do feel a little weird today, kind of like my body is saying whoaw where's the carbs buddy? But strangely i'm not very hungry at all. I have stuck to the plan exactly yesterday and today. Also drank 1 gallon of water. Previously I was on body for life so thats my level of dedication as I completed the program losing 8% body fat in 12 weeks. NOw i'm more experienced and feel I can accomplish more.
Okay lets see here. Day 6 and my official weigh in is 167. 4lbs. Not too bad in six days. Could be mostly water weight but i'm fine with that. The eating seems to be getting easier and i'm actually less hungry. Did cardio thursday and today both times HIT and I feel this jump started something. My wife says that the breath does smell raunchy so thats a good sign. Unfortunately i'm heading to mexico tommorow and I was going to skip my first carb up but can't and it won't be very clean. Could do a lot of harm since this is company paid for (drinks, food, etc). I'll let y'all know what happens when I get back!

3v1l

3v1l

Awards
Okay lets see here. Day 6 and my official weigh in is 167. 4lbs. Not too bad in six days. Could be mostly water weight but i'm fine with that. The eating seems to be getting easier and i'm actually less hungry. Did cardio thursday and today both times HIT and I feel this jump started something. My wife says that the breath does smell raunchy so thats a good sign. Unfortunately i'm heading to mexico tommorow and I was going to skip my first carb up but can't and it won't be very clean. Could do a lot of harm since this is company paid for (drinks, food, etc). I'll let y'all know what happens when I get back!
Weigh in today says 166. So another 1lb loss but I look noticably leaner than I ever have. The CKD is working much better than body for life ever did. I'm not losing any strength so far which is nice. I have realized that eating a whole avocado is putting me at around 57g of carbs for the day which is too much. I think i'm going to cut this out and it should drop total carbs by about 26g. I'll add some sausage/bacon in place of it to keep fat high enough. I have also picked up flaxseed oil and am adding that into the tuna at 1 tablespoon a day. Feel really quite good - a few days of lethargy but overall i'm very happy.

AldrichAStern

Awards
You eating haas avocadoes? Those should only have about 6g net carbs per avocado...

3v1l

3v1l

Awards
You eating haas avocadoes? Those should only have about 6g net carbs per avocado...
According to fitday the avocados have 26gm carbohydrate for a full avocado. I don't count net carbs I count them all....Thats the impression I got when reading c-k-d.com that you should just count the whole thing. Anyone care to enlighten me?

AldrichAStern

Awards
Those are NOT hass avocadoes. There are many different kinds of avocadoes, including a sweeter more "fruity" kind that I believe fitday lists instead. I made that same mistake too when I was on CKD, haha... look up hass avocadoes online for the nutritional breakdown. The carbs from them are almost negligible.