Myth: Ingesting Medium Chain Triglycerides won't make you fat?? Muscle Milk anyone???

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Muscle Milk is PACKED with MCTs.

Myth:
28 -- Ingesting MCT . (medium-chain triglyceride) oils will give you tons of energy, but they won't make you fat.

MCTs first gained prominence for treating persons suffering from fat mal- absorption, pancreatic deficiency, or stomach or esophageal diseases. Researchers found that MCTs, because of their better solubility and motility, underwent a rapid hydrolysis by salivary, gastric, and pancreatic enzymes. Consequently, they were able to reach the liver and provide energy much more quickly than long-chain triglycerides (Guillot, et al., 1993). There was also some evidence that MCTs reduced lipid deposition in fat stores compared with that resulting from LCTs under identical energy intake conditions. However, this is no reason to believe that ingesting these oils in excess will not result in a positive energy balance which the body stores as fat. MCTs, like regular oils, like regular fats, have nine calories per gramme. Even though they are metabolized differently, using them in excessive amounts will add inches to your waistline.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Who stated they won't make you fat? That is ridiculous. Any fat in high amounts will contribute to adipose storage.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Even though they are metabolized differently, using them in excessive amounts will add inches to your waistline.
It's on the back of the muscle milk containers, Bobo :D

But, it looks like the original poster of that info hit the nail on the head...

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
If something tastes as good as Muscle Milk it has to be bad for you:D They do pimp the no fat gain bs which is funny but in their defense your much better off consuming MCT's then the alternative. Just don't go and drink 5 a day.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't call 18gm total fat per serving (75gm) as "packed".
OK for occassional use or if you aren't getting enough fat in your diet.
I would. 18g of fat in a MRP is damn high.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's on the back of the muscle milk containers, Bobo :D

But, it looks like the original poster of that info hit the nail on the head...
Well then there is a reason why I never heard of that.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I've been saying this over and over. They pimp Muscle Milk at my gym. I have argued this point to no avail with the trainers there. I keep telling them to get something healthier and maybe their clients will stop looking like a Krispie Kreme commercial.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
They push MM at my gym HARD as well and i'm a trainer there. The worst part is that they push it as a post workout shake which is the absolute worst time to drink this stuff. But they also put oreos, glutamine and peanut butter in their "recovery" smoothies (yes i'm serious).

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Damn, no more 3 MM shakes a day :(

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
MM is fine for an occasional "cheat milkshake" IMO, because it tastes damn good (especially root beer float), and for that purpose seems right. 18g of fat/serving is silly, even for good fat (although sometimes my peanut butter consumption certainly rivals that, and a T of flax is pretty close). MCT's are seemingly better than most, but I think you guys are exactly right. Really high cals and extra fats aren't gonna help, except of you're bulking like hell. Even then, though, muscle milk is pretty much like a liquid candy bar with added protein.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Peanut butter isn't fat.....is it? :D ......but it tastes so damn gooooood. Seriously....that is what I use for a fat cheat too. I notice that I'm not the only one who craves the **** when dieting. I remember a guy who had such a hard time dieting due to his lack of will power. The week before a contest, he was going to give in and have a teaspoon of PB and he ate the whole fucking jar in one sitting. Dumbass hahahahaha

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Peanut butter isn't fat.....is it? :D ......but it tastes so damn gooooood. Seriously....that is what I use for a fat cheat too. I notice that I'm not the only one who craves the **** when dieting. I remember a guy who had such a hard time dieting due to his lack of will power. The week before a contest, he was going to give in and have a teaspoon of PB and he ate the whole fucking jar in one sitting. Dumbass hahahahaha

HAHA. I don't buy it anymore for that very reason. I like it so much that I can't contain myself..its all flax seed oil and salmon for me

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
... peanut butter is the "staff of life"

dickwootton

Awards
  • Established
They push MM at my gym HARD as well and i'm a trainer there. The worst part is that they push it as a post workout shake which is the absolute worst time to drink this stuff. But they also put oreos, glutamine and peanut butter in their "recovery" smoothies (yes i'm serious).
Hey you dont happen to train at a B*lly T*tal Fitness do you?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
My MRP consists of MM and PB. What do you think about that suckas. I also throw in a banana and some oats. MMMMMM, 1000 calorie meal replacement.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Aaaahhhh....to find a fountain of youth......

My MRP consists of MM and PB. What do you think about that suckas. I also throw in a banana and some oats. MMMMMM, 1000 calorie meal replacement.
nicely done, nate. If I were still 22, I'd be right there with you! Unfortunately, I am not. Feelin' pretty good for an old guy, though! ;) Just have to stay away from those 1000cal meals!

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
That's why I'm doing it now because I know I can get away with it. Oh yeah, and I don't do cardio either. Wish I could stay young forever. ;)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't call 18gm total fat per serving (75gm) as "packed".
OK for occassional use or if you aren't getting enough fat in your diet.
75 g total-->
-18 Grams of Fat = 162 cals
-57 Grams Carb & Protein = 228 cals
-Total Cals: 390

So, 45.54% of the cals in muscle milk are from fat, that is packed. :D

[Just had to do it...too many ppl look at "grams" when "cals" is what they need to focus on.]

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
75 g total-->

[Just had to do it...too many ppl look at "grams" when "cals" is what they need to focus on.]
I like cals.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
nate we are dying and we don't know it :(

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
nate we are dying and we don't know it :(
Uhhhh... :lol:

At least I'll die with a tasty Muscle Milk shake in my hand.

BTW, It's bedtime for me so that means the MM is coming out. It will help me wake up more anabolic. It says so on the jug. :thumbsup: :rofl:

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
nicely done, nate. If I were still 22, I'd be right there with you! Unfortunately, I am not. Feelin' pretty good for an old guy, though! ;) Just have to stay away from those 1000cal meals!

Don't ya just hate these young punk ass bitches.....oh well....I'll just go juice my spinach and carrots and turn on Fox news now :sad:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I love the taste of MM, but I think it's a bunch of crap. I returned 2 tubs to GNC after finishing both. I didn't see crap in the results dept. and I felt it was overpriced compared to regular whey.

But, to each his (or her) own.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Don't ya just hate these young punk ass bitches.....oh well....I'll just go juice my spinach and carrots and turn on Fox news now :sad:
I don't want to hear it ya geezer. You had your chance, now it's this young punks turn to cash in on his youth. :D

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I don't want to hear it ya geezer. You had your chance, now it's this young punks turn to cash in on his youth. :D

Yeah...but I didn't know any of this when I was young.....I want to hit the rewind button damn-it :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
n-dogg's fired up! Must be youthful testosterone plus some roid rage from that 4AD cycle.... ;)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
n-dogg's fired up! Must be youthful testosterone plus some roid rage from that 4AD cycle.... ;)
You son of...you're lucky today is legs, need to conserve the rage for the gym.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Look at the little Gangsta raging....better watch out or he'll run you over with his Tonka Toys :D.....ouch...was that a prostate cramp I just felt? :eek:

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Hey you dont happen to train at a B*lly T*tal Fitness do you?
Sorry didn't see this for a while. But no don't train at a Bally. I'm guessing stuff like this goes on at tons of gyms around the country. People generally have a very limited knowledge of nutrition and get sucked into believing whatever muscle tech says to be law.

Heh they also push the high gi thing after workouts, but don't know it's high gi and look at me like their head is going to explode when i try to explain it to them.

Nabeshin

Nabeshin

Awards
  • Established
75 g total-->

I concur. If we take 20% to be a good percentage for "good" fat intake, you'd have to be taking in 4,860 cals a day for MM to be an effective MRP as far as fat as concerned. Of course, if you're that big of a bitch, you're gonna need hella more protein and carbs than what you're getting from MM, so it's still a bust.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
COME BACK TO LIFE THREAD

on a sidenote i bought like 30jugs of max milk for 3-5bucks a jug booyaa baby haha

from another website when they were clearing house, dont think you can buy this anymore

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually, a lot of the fat found in muscle milk is canola oil. MCT's only account for less than half of the total fat content :thumbsup:.

There's SOME data which shows MCT's to increase thyroid hormones, if the user is in a hypothyroidal state, however :sad:. I'm a coconut oil hooker, regardless (which is a GREAT source of MCT's).

I'm still trying to figure out the whole glycocyamine bit. Regular creatine works great, healthy, and DOESN'T have research suggesting it can deteriorate your brain.

:rant: :rant: :rant: vented.