digital scales

Chuck34

Awards
digital scales that measure body fat. are they accurate? I'm 6'1 188lb and
these things say I have 24% BF. I thought I looked pretty good.

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
i'm not much help but I will say that they have been known to be innacurate.

I myself have came out at around 6.8% before and I know I'm between 10-12%

regards,
COTC

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really not accurate. I'm arround 15% BF. I have one of these scales (old one) and it shows 26%.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I got measured with one of those pre-contest and it said I was 22% BF :D I also grabbed onto one when I was at around 7-8% before my vacation and it said I was 19%. They aren't worth jack **** IMO

clintpatty

Awards
My mom bought one that I regularly use. It also supposedly measures hydration. I have not found it to be of much use even for measuring changes in bodyfat, which I have read that they may be good for. It says I routinely drop 4% bodyfat throughout the day only to gain it back while sleeping.

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I really don't see how they could be very accurate.

Get some decent calipers and use these skin fold formulas, its fairly accurate..
Go under Calculators and there are a few different tests.

http://www.bblex.de/en/index.php

ilocano

Awards
Do the ormon handheld body fat analyzers fall into the same category as these weight scales?

Teegunn

Awards
I have one of the electronic BF scales. I vary from 8 to 10% BF using calipers, but this damm scale almost always says I am between 14 and 16%. Sometimes it even shoots up to 20%. I have found that if I use it after taking a shower and am still somewhat wet that it shows about 12% BF. In other words it is not very accurate at all. I believe these things also take into account your height and fitness level divided by your weight - which is a completely crap way of telling your BF or even if you are "overweight". Most athletes are considered overweight by that method. But the scale does work well for telling you your exact weight. BTW - mine is a "Tanita" BF scale that cost around $150.00. For use as a scale they are fine. For computing your BF they are bunk.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
akboom87 General Chat 2
Jinsun Training Forum 3
coldseed General Chat 2
Nutrition / Health 10
rolandajoint General Chat 16