Casein better than Whey?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Effect of a hypocaloric diet, increased protein intake and resistance training on lean mass gains and fat mass loss in overweight police officers.

Demling RH, DeSanti L.

Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA. [email protected]

We compare the effects of a moderate hypocaloric, high-protein diet and resistance training, using two different protein supplements, versus hypocaloric diet alone on body compositional changes in overweight police officers. A randomized, prospective 12-week study was performed comparing the changes in body composition produced by three different treatment modalities in three study groups. One group (n = 10) was placed on a nonlipogenic, hypocaloric diet alone (80% of predicted needs). A second group (n = 14) was placed on the hypocaloric diet plus resistance exercise plus a high-protein intake (1.5 g/kg/day) using a casein protein hydrolysate. In the third group (n = 14) treatment was identical to the second, except for the use of a whey protein hydrolysate. We found that weight loss was approximately 2.5 kg in all three groups. Mean percent body fat with diet alone decreased from a baseline of 27 +/- 1.8 to 25 +/- 1.3% at 12 weeks. With diet, exercise and casein the decrease was from 26 +/- 1.7 to 18 +/- 1.1% and with diet, exercise and whey protein the decrease was from 27 +/- 1.6 to 23 +/- 1.3%. The mean fat loss was 2. 5 +/- 0.6, 7.0 +/- 2.1 and 4.2 +/- 0.9 kg in the three groups, respectively. Lean mass gains in the three groups did not change for diet alone, versus gains of 4 +/- 1.4 and 2 +/- 0.7 kg in the casein and whey groups, respectively. Mean increase in strength for chest, shoulder and legs was 59 +/- 9% for casein and 29 +/- 9% for whey, a significant group difference. This significant difference in body composition and strength is likely due to improved nitrogen retention and overall anticatabolic effects caused by the peptide components of the casein hydrolysate. Copyright 2000 S. Karger AG, Basel

bachovas

bachovas

Awards
Bobo, what protein blend are you currently using?

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Mean increase in strength for chest, shoulder and legs was 59 +/- 9% for casein and 29 +/- 9% for whey, a significant group difference. This significant difference in body composition and strength is likely due to improved nitrogen retention and overall anticatabolic effects caused by the peptide components of the casein hydrolysate. Copyright 2000 S. Karger AG, Basel
Excellent article, Bobo! You know I have believed that milk and egg proteins are more anabolic than whey for a long time now. Glad to see an article that reinforces my beliefs.I don't even use straight whey post-workout, using half Optimum 100% Whey and half Beverly 100% Egg. Egg seems to absorb slightly quicker than casein, and has a different amino profile, while casein and whey are somewhat similar. Thus, I feel the egg/whey offers the best balance of aminos here.

But at all other times, I use a casein blend, like Beverly Ultra-Size or Optimum Complete Protein Diet.

The only catch in that comparison test is that "hydrolysates" were used. Few if any protein powders contain casein hydrolysate. The cost would be prohibitive and it should drastically speed up the assimilation of an otherwise slowly digested protein.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bobo, what protein blend are you currently using?
I switch it up often. Currently I'm using Optium Pro-Complex as it gives a nice whey/casein/egg blend. I'm not sold on any one being better than the other so I switch it up often but keep it to a blend.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
heh... slow digestin everything!... ya crazies :D

;)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

drfly

Awards
i personally think that both whey and casein should be used. i usually take whey directly after workouts because it is fast digesting, and helps for post-workout best, then i use casein throughout the day to provide a nice slow uptake of protein all day long to keep my body in an anabolic state. casein is also much better to take before u sleep, to stay anti-catabolic. just my thoughts

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
yeah I like blends of milk, whey, egg and casein....I use pro-blend 55 and it has all that in there. I also use original Met-rx MRP's that have a similar blend of proteins.

Very informative article bobo, I like it

u4ik_rage

Awards
You guys would probably save some serious bucks if you got your stuff from proteincustomizer.com
You can make your own ratios. At the top of my head these are some of the prices per lb:
Casein- 4.85
Egg- 4.00
CFM Whey- 7.00

I have my first order coming in a few days. I'll post how I like it if anyone's interested.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
would like to point out Universal's 30lb Milk & Egg protein jazz can be purchased for 125$, which ain't bad at all if you have faith in the reliability.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
would like to point out Universal's 30lb Milk & Egg protein jazz can be purchased for 125$, which ain't bad at all if you have faith in the reliability.

ive had the milk and egg from universal. taste isnt the greatest (actually, probably below average) however great price for a TRUE blend. Sage

Number 5

Awards
when i was in finland, the local brands - which were half the price of american brands - were generally unflavored and simply labeled by the type of protein/prep in those 1 kg bags i.e. hydrolized whey isolate, ion-exchanged whey isolate, whey concentrate, soy isolate, and so on. you could buy a bag of whatever you wanted & then mix them together.

i once bought something labeled milk protein isolate, and it mixed badly and tasted like **** - thick as hell. how do these milk and casein proteins taste around here?

u4ik_rage

Awards
Just got my order from protein customizer. Even though it's my night protein, I had to test it. Taste is not bad. It's not great but it doesn't leave you squinting your eyes and mouth which is pretty much all I'm looking for. I'll definitely order from them again but I'll make 2 seperate mixes.

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Just got my order from protein customizer. Even though it's my night protein, I had to test it. Taste is not bad. It's not great but it doesn't leave you squinting your eyes and mouth which is pretty much all I'm looking for. I'll definitely order from them again but I'll make 2 seperate mixes.
I made the mistake of ordering proteinfactory's night time formula, YUCK! It's like metamusil in not anough water mixed with chalk. The ****'s brutal. Won't by from them again. What a waste. I have to split it up with my Whey Isolate just to get it down. Oh well, live and learn.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 2
Masterzen Supplements 12
djbombsquad Supplements 21
u_e_s_i Nutrition / Health 0
Weight Loss 36