carbs

BIGPHILL1984

Awards
  • Established
My question is this: do you really need carbs? I mean I hate carbs such as oats, potatoes and rice and stuff like that, and only eat Ezekial bread when I try to bulk up. I really only eat fruits and dairy which have some carbs. I was thinking, do you think my weight gain be from increased carb intake? I was a slim 36 inch waist last summer and only ate all natural foods. Then when I tried to put on serious size by using carbs I blew up. Could one not eat much carbs and still bulk up? If so I will after I finish my cut. Oh by the way I am doing well, down to 37 inch waist.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Two words: good carbs :D

I like lentils as my main carb source.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
good luck trying to bulk without good complex carbs .. do you need carbs to live? absolutely not .. will you gain mass without carbs? ... good luck .. it'll be very difficult

if you "blew up" then there were problems with your diet that probably had to do with nutrient timing/too much fat/too much protein (it'll turn to glucose)/etc.
carbs are good .. i still take it a relatively high amount of carbs even while cutting

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do you center your carbs around your workout, glen? I've started a pretty hardcore diet, and very few of my carbs at all come in the morning (I've had about 20g so far this morning, and most of that came from 8 oz. of skim milk). Just wanting to confer what I heard, that I should be getting the majority of my carbs around my workout.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I have no doubt I could get down between 6000-7000 (not going to go higher than this again) calories without going to shitty carbs by increasing the portion sizes of lentils/whole wheat pasta, adding 3-4 scoops of whey spaced throughout the day and adding some extra nuts/seeds to my diet.

I wouldn't worry too much about carbs while bulking, shoot for maybe 300-400 grams as a good target number, if they're all high quality you should be fine adding poly and mono unsaturated fats up to 100-150 grams to increase your calories. Of course I don't need to talk about the importance of protein :D

BIGPHILL1984

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I think it was too much fat and carbs together. But now that I don't eat much carbs the fat from my protein sources are not hurting me. However, do you guys ever feel like **** when you bump up carbs for a cheat day? I did today because I haven't eaten much after getting injured( don't know that connection) and ate some bad **** at Hometown buffet( cookies, french toast, sausage,ect.). I know it won't hurt me at all, but the carbs from the stuff made me bloat a little, and makes you feel like humpty dumpty.LOL.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Well when you go from not eating a lot of carbs to eating cookies, french toast and the like your not going to feel good that's for sure. :thumbsup:
Stick with the good carbs and you won't have these problems. And yes high fat high carb meals will blow your ass up so be careful.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Amen to the lentils they are great tasting and a great carb.I make a soup using them and barley..

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
Do you center your carbs around your workout, glen? I've started a pretty hardcore diet, and very few of my carbs at all come in the morning (I've had about 20g so far this morning, and most of that came from 8 oz. of skim milk). Just wanting to confer what I heard, that I should be getting the majority of my carbs around my workout.
yeah carbs are definitely concentrated pre workout post workout and either the meal before or after pre or post depending on what time i work out

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
another plus for lentils is that you'd be hard pressed to find another good carb source with even half the protein in lentils. It's crazy how good those things are for BB'ers!

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
a little off topic but I just read your signature beez and im LMFAO :rofl:

I cannot believe you find people this dumb to qoute, haha

regards,
COTC

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
a little off topic but I just read your signature beez and im LMFAO :rofl:

I cannot believe you find people this dumb to qoute, haha

regards,
COTC
MMMMM, carbs. That quote is in fact a quote from Beezlebub himself. Poor guy. :sad:

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
haha, this is true, I have heard A LOT of interesting things on other bb'er sites, honestly this is the only one I truly care for as far as factual and intelligent information goes lol

regards,
COTC

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
solomon-chan Weight Loss 15
Supplements 22
Nutrition / Health 7
cruze1911r1 Nutrition / Health 38
Anabolics 23