lose weight before bulk?

jeffdog

Awards
I think I have this straight but some feedback would really be appreciated! It seems like I need to seriously consider what BFP I start my 6 month bulk at since that percentage will not go down during my bulk but will in fact go up. So if I am at 18% and I want to do a lean bulk then I might want to diet down to 13 or so first if I want to look decent throughout the bulk? Is that right?....What confuses me is that I see these people who are at like 30 with no muscle and in 6 months they have a decent amount of muscle and their BFP is like 12-- so how did they put on muscle and lose so much weight at the same time?.....My friend is wondering the same thing since he started a bulk and ended up getting way too fat after 5 months. He is trying to figure out now if he just has to bite the bullet and diet for a month or two and then start over again or is there some other option.....Again, thanks so much for any wisdom you might offer and hopefully I have posted this in the right place!

808LIFE

Awards
IMO I don't believe anyone who really wants to put on "quality" muscle should ever get over 15-18% BF. A lot of people take the excuse for off season to eat to their hearts desire and eventually just get fat. I believe this approach to be totally counterproductive. I believe this in true on or off gear. As far as other people and their body fat and muscle gain, we are all different. Different metabolism, genetics and other factors the affect how our bodies react to training.
Hopefully you know your macros and you have the knowledge of basic nutrition. If not, I would highly suggest you scan the forums and other outlets to get that down to the "T". That is first and foremost the most important aspect to anything related to body composition. There's no set body weight or BF percentage someone has to be to start "bulking" or cutting. But I do believe that if you are in the single digits as far as BF and get your macros set accordingly to a lean bulk 300-400 above maintenance and adjust according to what you see in the mirror and the scale you should be gaining .5-1lb per week( naturally ). On the juice is totally up to your receptors and training style.
At he end of the day I believe the harder you work at the nutrition aspect you can lean bulk and stay at a nice 12-15 percentage.

DocOptimzed

DocOptimzed

Awards
IMO I don't believe anyone who really wants to put on "quality" muscle should ever get over 15-18% BF. A lot of people take the excuse for off season to eat to their hearts desire and eventually just get fat. I believe this approach to be totally counterproductive. I believe this in true on or off gear. As far as other people and their body fat and muscle gain, we are all different. Different metabolism, genetics and other factors the affect how our bodies react to training.
Hopefully you know your macros and you have the knowledge of basic nutrition. If not, I would highly suggest you scan the forums and other outlets to get that down to the "T". That is first and foremost the most important aspect to anything related to body composition. There's no set body weight or BF percentage someone has to be to start "bulking" or cutting. But I do believe that if you are in the single digits as far as BF and get your macros set accordingly to a lean bulk 300-400 above maintenance and adjust according to what you see in the mirror and the scale you should be gaining .5-1lb per week( naturally ). On the juice is totally up to your receptors and training style.
At he end of the day I believe the harder you work at the nutrition aspect you can lean bulk and stay at a nice 12-15 percentage.
Nice tips for newbie thanks dude

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Get as close to single digit body fat as you can for your bulk, I wanted to start mine at 10% but too much ****ty eating at the Arnold weekend pushed me to 12 lol

4evafit

4evafit

Awards
  • Established
I suggest to do a mini cut first. Get to around 13-14% then hit it.