Bobo, help us with Rice Oligodextrini

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah but you have to remember that when you break down the size of the particles the GI automatically rises. There are many factors that play into GI besides just the actual type carbohydrate. pH (which is why people are using vinegar with high carb meals), size of particles, fiber content, etc.

This is why instant oats have a higher GI than rolled oats.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but you have to remember that when you break down the size of the particles the GI automatically rises. There are many factors that play into GI besides just the actual type carbohydrate. pH (which is why people are using vinegar with high carb meals), size of particles, fiber content, etc.

This is why instant oats have a higher GI than rolled oats.
Actually, there's a difference. If you look at "quick" oats, they have no added sugar, and the difference in GI is pretty minimal. "Instant" oats usually have added sugar...

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Actually, there's a difference. If you look at "quick" oats, they have no added sugar, and the difference in GI is pretty minimal. "Instant" oats usually have added sugar...
Yeah that plays a part as well but I am pretty sure that the size of the particle plays a part as well, maybe I am wrong though haha. I know the size of particle for sure makes a difference as written in "The New Glycemic Revolution" but I don't know if that plays a part in the instant oats.

However, I think in his case with the rice "powder" it will DEFINITELY make a diff.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that plays a part as well but I am pretty sure that the size of the particle plays a part as well, maybe I am wrong though haha. I know the size of particle for sure makes a difference as written in "The New Glycemic Revolution" but I don't know if that plays a part in the instant oats.

However, I think in his case with the rice "powder" it will DEFINITELY make a diff.
It plays a lot less of a difference in oats than in most things, because unlike a lot of foods with a fiberous husk or hull that slows down digestion only when in whole form, the fiber in oats is soluble, so it forms a thick paste when mixed with water, thus slowing digestion down regardless.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Sounds right to me :-D.

On the rice topic though there is no way that it would hold the same GI value being a fine powder. I mean that is like saying sprouted grain as opposed to very fine white powder would have same GI.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Well... Yes there is going to be a lot of difference. There are some starch structures that are more slowly digested than others, and a powder could be made with those starch structures, but without a hearty compliment of soluble fiber it is still going to quite a bit faster. Plus pretty much any powdered food is going to be inferior to whole food...

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
The size of the particle does in some cases but doesn't in others. If you grind up oatmeal the the GI still stays the same. The reason for the difference in GI from instant/quick oats to standard rolled oats is instant oats are actually pre-cooked then dried.

It seems many grains act this way to a point.

As for Oligodextrin the GI is low but I bet the absortion rate is fast (which is different than most grains)

So it would be good for MRP's.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
It plays a lot less of a difference in oats than in most things, because unlike a lot of foods with a fiberous husk or hull that slows down digestion only when in whole form, the fiber in oats is soluble, so it forms a thick paste when mixed with water, thus slowing digestion down regardless.
That only occurs in the small intestine so it won[t hinder any abortion of other nutrients. The only thing fiber hinders is glucsoe abortion (as in slows down)

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Bobo you say the GI would still be low but the absorbtion would be fast. If the absorbtion was fast doesn't this mean that it would cause an insulin spike and thus have a higher GI? I thought absorbtion rate and GI were proportional?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Nope.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Haha very scientific explanation. I understand now!! Haha j/k, when you have a chance, could you explain that though? Thanks man. :cheers:

Me :box: Bobo

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
There are many factors that go into it. Take the difference bewteen whey and dextrose. Both absorb very fast but the insulin spikes are very different. Fructose has half the GI of dextrose but doesn't absorb half as fast. ITs just metabolized different so the GI is different.

Particle size seems to make more of a difference with sacharrides.

Maybe I should have reworded this better when saying "absorbed". Maybe I should say its digested much quicker in the stomach, transfered to the small intestine much faster, then absorbed from there. So the 1st 2 steps are much faster compared to its whole food counterpart but the GI is still the same.