Instead of ground oats...

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
for all of you that make your own MRP/gainers, has anybody used oat flour instead of grinding up your own oats? Noticed that lean mass matrix uses this along w/barley and brown rice flours for carb sources.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
All I remember is 19g carbs and 3g fiber per 1/3 cup. So about the same as oats(give or take a little).

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You could grind up flax seeds and get your EFAs, fiber and good calories. Not sure about the carb value. bulkfoods.com has 10lb of flax for like $15

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
My personal favorite is Red Mill's Ground Flax Meal... hella cheap, most good health food places have refrigerated light resistant bags of the stuff, and 2 tbs has something like 4g carb (all insol if memory serves), 4.5g fat (efa's of course) and a fair amount of protein... I mix the **** left and right with cottage cheese, put it in shakes, etc.

Timbo

Awards
Well, there's evidence that ground oats do not elicit a greater insulin response than whole or rolled oats, but I can't say the same for oat flour:

Am J Clin Nutr 1988 Apr;47(4):675-82 Related Articles, Links

Particle size of wheat, maize, and oat test meals: effects on plasma glucose and insulin responses and on the rate of starch digestion in vitro.

Heaton KW, Marcus SN, Emmett PM, Bolton CH.

University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK.

When normal volunteers ate isocaloric wheat-based meals, their plasma <b>insulin responses (peak concentration and area under curve) increased stepwise: whole grains less than cracked grains less than coarse flour less than fine flour.</b> <i>Insulin responses</i> were also greater with fine maizemeal than with whole or cracked maize grains but <i>were similar with whole groats, rolled oats, and fine oatmeal.</i> The peak-to-nadir swing of plasma glucose was greater with wheat flour than with cracked or whole grains. In vitro starch hydrolysis by pancreatic amylase was faster with decreasing particle size with all three cereals. Correlation with the in vivo data was imperfect. Oat-based meals evoked smaller glucose and insulin responses than wheat- or maize-based meals. Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats. The increased insulin response to finely ground flour may be relevant to the etiology of diseases associated with hyperinsulinemia and to the management of diabetes.

On a sidenote, Bob's Red Mill products are simply outstanding.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
You could grind up flax seeds and get your EFAs, fiber and good calories. Not sure about the carb value. bulkfoods.com has 10lb of flax for like $15
Yeah, I already do that though. What I'm looking for is a carb source that is low-GI, but want to skip a step by not grinding the oats.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
My personal favorite is Red Mill's Ground Flax Meal... hella cheap, most good health food places have refrigerated light resistant bags of the stuff, and 2 tbs has something like 4g carb (all insol if memory serves), 4.5g fat (efa's of course) and a fair amount of protein... I mix the **** left and right with cottage cheese, put it in shakes, etc.
I like Red Mill too, but it costs 3x what buying the whole seeds would. Guess I'll keep grindin'.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You could buy a little cheap seed grinder or coffee grinder. I use a small seed grinder and grind up my oats into powder. Much better than having to chew my shake :)

Just a thought.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
You could buy a little cheap seed grinder or coffee grinder. I use a small seed grinder and grind up my oats into powder. Much better than having to chew my shake :)

Just a thought.
I have my coffee grinder, that has never seen a coffee bean in its lifetime. Guess I'll continue using it. Just wanted to see if I could improve the texture by using flour. Sometimes when I'm chugging it down I get some oats that haven't been ground very well, and end up scratching my throat. Never happens with the seeds alone, so I'm assuming it's the oats.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Yeah? I didn't think it was that expensive... granted, the seeds are cheaper but Red Mill's **** is supreme quality, and I buy huge fuckin bags for like 3$... maybe they're more $$ where you are, I dunno... on the grinding, you might try shaking it around as you grind, I find that helps get the grounds finer, even back when I was grinding flax... or, mebbe the grinder ain't powerful enough *shrug*

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Yeah? I didn't think it was that expensive... granted, the seeds are cheaper but Red Mill's **** is supreme quality, and I buy huge fuckin bags for like 3$... maybe they're more $$ where you are, I dunno... on the grinding, you might try shaking it around as you grind, I find that helps get the grounds finer, even back when I was grinding flax... or, mebbe the grinder ain't powerful enough *shrug*
I can get the one pound bag of Bob's for $3-4, depending on where I go. I can get the whole seed for $1/lb. Think I'll stick with the whole seed. Maybe it is my grinder, but most is ground up. Some oats just get lost in the fold I guess. Oh well...