Avant's Carb cycling (critique me)

builtolast

Awards
Currently on week 1 of my carb cycling diet. Just wanted to run my diet plan by you guys to see what you think of it. Is it on check, or should I change somethings? The diet is from the articles on carb cycling on Avant's page, so if anyone else has had success/failure off of this diet idea, gimme some feedback. Thanks fellas!

No-Carb Day

Meal #1

4 to 6 eggs
cottage cheese (1%)
water
5 fish oil capsules

Meal #2

Can of tuna
Mayo
Salad

Meal #3

Protein Shake w/ whipped cream & almonds

Meal #4

Pre-workout shake

Meal #5

Post-workout (tiny bit of sugar)

Meal#6 (before bed)

Cottage Cheese and/or casein protein shake
5 fish oil caps

Low-Carb Day (3x carb meals, 2 being pre/post-workout)

Meal #1

Bowl of Oatmeal w/fiber cereal
Whey shake
5 fish oil caps.

Meal #2

Can of tuna
mayo
salad

Meal #3

4 hard boiled eggs
5 fish oil caps.

Meal #4

Whey protein shake w/apple

Meal #5

" " w/oatmeal & creatine

Meal #6

Casein Shake and/or cottage cheese

High-Carb Day (4x carb meal, 2 pre/post-workout)

Meal #1

Bowl of cereal
2 cups milk
5 fish oil caps.

Meal #2

2 cups brown rice
salad
tuna can

Meal #3

burger meat (fast food,etc.)
cheese

Meal #4

Whey protein shake w/oatmeal

Meal #5

Whey protein shake w/ apple

Meal #6

Casein shake and/or cottage cheese 1%

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I heard this stuff works great!!!

My only concern is that you might be getting a bit too much fat. Be careful with that.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
What's too much fat in your opinion, TP?

I'm on a diet that's 1:1 (fat/pro) and although I'm seeing cahnges, I always wonder if there is anythign else I could do to optimize the loss :)

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It depends on the diet. In the context of my diet, 30-50 grams is more than sufficient.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
True...this would be another thread. I'll just assume as long as the waist is shrinking, all is well :)

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
It seems to me that sugar would not be ideal PWO, also you needs carbs afterwards to help replenish glycogen as well as create and isunlin response. Not sure if your diet includes any info on this but if you take your PWO shake with some ALA i think you would be fine.

builtolast

Awards
My PWO shake goes with the motion of the day. If it's a no carb day...it's got not carbs. High carb day....it's got plenty, but not to much. Ya see? Oh, and yeah, sugar would be bad I agree. I used oatmeal (old fashioned) ground up. So, TP? You think my fat might be a little too high? Without the carbs though, isn't it ok to go over on the fat a decent bit? Say 10-15 grams?

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
Built,
I realize you are doing a carb cycling diet but I would highly advise you to either change your diet or at the very least utilize carbs PWO nomatter what. You absolutely need thme to replenish glycogen as well as aid in the recovery process. Not to mention the effects the insulin has on cortisol etc...I follow a very similar protocol to you, however there are a few BIG differences. I never deprive my body of Carbs when nessisary (i.e PWO), however I do not eat carbs during the day so in that sense I follow a low carb diet. On non-training days I limit my carbs to about 30 or so mainly with dinner and most of them coming from vegtables etc...Carbs aren't the problem, I'd focus on the timing of them to utilize them as best as they can be, PWO etc....

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My PWO shake goes with the motion of the day. If it's a no carb day...it's got not carbs. High carb day....it's got plenty, but not to much. Ya see? QUOTE]

No matter what, you NEED carbohydrates post-workout. Cutting carbs PWO is a very, very bad idea.

builtolast

Awards
Ok, I do see the carb problem, but the Avant article didn't address this. In the article it stated on no carb day to eat NO CARBS. I don't wanna mess with the method if it works, but if it's that bad for cortisol levels, muscle waisting, etc. than I guess I must change something.

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am pretty sure the avant articles address this, I know the guy who wrote them.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He's a bum.

czzb

Awards
No. I wrote them. Shesh.
twin peak, can i have your current email if it's different from your old avant ones?

i am not computer savy at all i couldn't find it through a search. thanks

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Why are you working out on no carb days anyway? Just keep workouts nto low/high carb days.

builtolast

Awards
Oh, so it was you then TP? I read the 1st article, and just recently the 2nd one. I can't cite where you addressed this (not discrediting you, just can't find it). If you could post the answer from the article that'd be great. I'll look again though. In the meantime, how many carbs should I include on a NO CARB day PWO? What kind of carbs as well?
Meathead, to answer your question, I work out on No carb days cause I follow an HST lifting plan, and modified it to hit the weights 6:7 days a week (upper/lower alternating). Maybe I should just stick with HST's original every other day?

Post away fellas. You've been lots of help so far, so don't stop yet!

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'd just go for 3x a week HST if your going that route. By having the high carb days structured around higher volume fullbody workouts you will achieve a better nutrient partition.

I would make 2 of the workouts HC days, 1 a LC day. Have 2 NC days and 1 more LC day where you can do cardio if you so choose .

builtolast

Awards
I'd just go for 3x a week HST if your going that route. By having the high carb days structured around higher volume fullbody workouts you will achieve a better nutrient partition.

I would make 2 of the workouts HC days, 1 a LC day. Have 2 NC days and 1 more LC day where you can do cardio if you so choose .
I never thought about this, but it makes sense. Thanks for helping my low IQ meathead! :frustrate

builtolast

Awards
Yeah, just for a little update...started taking the advice meathead gave on doing my HST on HIGH carb day. very freakin' helpful to say the least.

El_Matarife

Awards
Hey TP, do you recommend carb cycling for a bulking or a cutting cycle? I'm quite interested in trying it out on a bulk, just wanted to make sure it would work for me.

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It was designed as a cutter, but I have written how it may be used as a bulker -- unless you are a a pure ectomorph, then you just need to eat.

builtolast

Awards
Hey, just for the record TP, this is a great cutting system. It really takes out all the hassle of cutting. I don't mind doing low car as long as I don't have to count a friggin calorie! Good lord, i hated doing that!!! Anyways, i've lost about 1% BF in about 3 weeks. Pretty good considering the stress/bullcrap i've been going through. When stressed carbs are my friend...and considering my baby sister ran away from home today, they were real friendly. Speaking of which anyone who reads this and is a praying man, please do so. I'm getting really worried. :>(

El_Matarife

Awards
Tp, what then would you recommend for a bulk? Just lots of clean eating? If you have something on your webzine I'll go check it out, I didn't check back that far in the archives.

El_Matarife

Awards
Thanks much Anarchy. The Net at my school has been ridiculously annoying. Some sites are great, others I can't even load.

davisville64

Awards
I dont want to steal this thread but here is my carb cycling schedjule

low carb day
VERY low carb day
high carb day
low carb day
very low carb day

And it repeats...

How does this look?