allergic to whey and dairy!

ketchup head

Banned
Awards
Whats my best alternative for protein supplements? I take GNC soy protien 95 and cliff energy bars (only has 10 g. of protien, but is the only one I can find without whey or dairy)

Thanks

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Whey isolate, calcium caseniate, egg protein. Soy protein is not very good for ya. Also you can try lactase enzymes to help digest dairy.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I know your pain, although I seem to have outgrown my allergies. Bottom line---get egg protein. Get a few different custom egg mixes/flavors. Its the next best thing. You won't find better.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
The estrogenic effects of soy protein are exaggerated. I wouldn't rely on it for the majority of my protein intake, but do I get 20-30g of it a day. It's good to have as broad a spectrum of protein as possible. Egg is your best bet if you can't take any milk protein, along with chicken and lean beef (like 95% lean hamburger cooked on the Forman grill). Fish is really good and really low in fat, but it can get expensive. I hate canned tuna but a lot of guys swear by it (I do love tuna steaks, cooked rare, but that's too pricey to eat all the time).

Casein is a milk protein, but some people are only allergic to whey and not casein (and some people are only allergic to casein and not whey). It would be worth your while to see if you can tolerate casein even if you are allergic to whey.

/karp

size

Awards
  • Established
There are a variety of powder choices such as hemp, pea, rice, and egg.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Really? I've never seen hemp, pea, and rice... Are they more common in vegan type stores?

/karp

size

Awards
  • Established
Really? I've never seen hemp, pea, and rice... Are they more common in vegan type stores?
They all exist, I promise. They are not very common in bbing or fitness more common in health/natural lifestyles.

Note, I believe Poliquin(not 100% sure it is him) recommends that it is a good idea to periodically switch protein types. So if one has been exclusively using whey for some period, it would be wise to change to another type for a month.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Poliquin says some crazy stuff, and he advocates some crazy things. Stuff with no real solid scientific basis. But he has trained a few badasses...

Cosmo

Awards
simple question here; are you allergic to the lactose? cause whey isolate should be sufficient then. I also have a problem with diary and whey concentrate and also casein but not whey isolate...

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Are the rice, hemp, etc proteins incomplete proteins? As far as I know, soy is the only non-animal protein that is a complete protein.

/karp

EDIT: By non-animal, I meant proteins that are not derived from an animal in any way, so egg and milk proteins would be animal proteins.

size

Awards
  • Established
Are the rice, hemp, etc proteins incomplete proteins? As far as I know, soy is the only non-animal protein that is a complete protein.
I believe you are correct in that soy is the only "complete" protein from plants. Some recommend combining types such as pea and rice to obtain all of the essential amino acids.