Loss of Strength and muscle during cutting

  1. New Member
    SeaHawk22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    239
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    49.67%

    Loss of Strength and muscle during cutting


    I was wondering if your diet is perfect do you still lose strength and some muscle during cutting. I am just wondering if lets say Bobo loses any strength when he cuts? My question is for people who are cutting without chemical assistance.

    I lose strength but my diet is not perfect.
    Thanks SeaHawk22

  2. Board Supporter
    hypo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    524
    Rep Power
    423
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    68.05%

    It is in fact possible to lose fat while gaining strength- many on bobo's cutting program report these results, actually. However, overall progress is slow so most people tend to do bulking and cutting phases, which are faster for gaining muscle/losing fat respectively, but you tend to gain a little fat while bulking and lose a little muscle while cutting. Of course chemical assistance makes it easier to reach your objectives, but the diet is the cornerstone.
  3. Senior Member
    Lean One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,673
    Rep Power
    1470
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    27.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by hypo
    It is in fact possible to lose fat while gaining strength- many on bobo's cutting program report these results, actually. However, overall progress is slow so most people tend to do bulking and cutting phases, which are faster for gaining muscle/losing fat respectively, but you tend to gain a little fat while bulking and lose a little muscle while cutting. Of course chemical assistance makes it easier to reach your objectives, but the diet is the cornerstone.
    I agree here. But to answer your question directly, (from someone who is currently cutting without assistance) it depends on your aproach. i am cutting right now and my method is kcal reduction mainly in the form af carbs. so yes i am losing strength, but i don't care. It comes with the territory. Basicly my glycogen is depleted and i'm spending a lot of time in ketosis. So, my muscles take on a flatter look. a lot of people mistake this for muscle loss. Less glycogen in the muscle means less strength. It comes back quick though. Especially with asistance.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    EEmain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    882
    Rep Power
    567
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    71.34%

    Quote Originally Posted by Lean One
    I agree here. But to answer your question directly, (from someone who is currently cutting without assistance) it depends on your aproach. i am cutting right now and my method is kcal reduction mainly in the form af carbs. so yes i am losing strength, but i don't care. It comes with the territory. Basicly my glycogen is depleted and i'm spending a lot of time in ketosis. So, my muscles take on a flatter look. a lot of people mistake this for muscle loss. Less glycogen in the muscle means less strength. It comes back quick though. Especially with asistance.
  5. Elite Member
    ryansm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,125
    Rep Power
    22018
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    94.78%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Lean One
    I agree here. But to answer your question directly, (from someone who is currently cutting without assistance) it depends on your aproach. i am cutting right now and my method is kcal reduction mainly in the form af carbs. so yes i am losing strength, but i don't care. It comes with the territory. Basicly my glycogen is depleted and i'm spending a lot of time in ketosis. So, my muscles take on a flatter look. a lot of people mistake this for muscle loss. Less glycogen in the muscle means less strength. It comes back quick though. Especially with asistance.
    Yes, I agree I am in the same boat, and strength comes back very quickly.

    I would add that to get to certain BF levels you will lose muscle, depending on the person though will indicate how much one loses, imo.

    I have recently stepped into this territory, and have lost some muscle, but like LO said, it will come back quickly. It's just part of the process.

  6. Senior Member
    exnihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,577
    Rep Power
    924
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    If strength is important to you I wouldn't bother with single digit bodyfat unless you're on a nice cocktail of drugs. If you don't care about being strong at all and are just into lifting weights because you think you need big pecs and abs to do well with the ladies then you can go single digit bodyfat, you'll lose some strength, but you don't care right? Anyone should be able to get to the low teens without much in the way of strength loss just by eating right and lifting weights (and staying active in general).
  7. New Member
    TheTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    297
    Rep Power
    291
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    49.02%

    The only time I ever increased strength on all lifts while on a cut, was when I did a Very High Protein, Mid-High Carb, Low Fat diet. All my lifts went up and I went from about 15% to 9% bodyfat. The problem was, the cut was more of a body recomp, in the way that it took a very long time, around 20 weeks.

    I could of probably went from 15% to 5%-6% in that same amount of time with low carbs and medium fat, but I would of probably lost a lot more muscle and lost strength, instead of gained it.

    This was androgen free too.
  8. Senior Member
    exnihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,577
    Rep Power
    924
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    That tells you something about the right way to cut then huh?
  9. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7017

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHawk22
    I was wondering if your diet is perfect do you still lose strength and some muscle during cutting. I am just wondering if lets say Bobo loses any strength when he cuts? My question is for people who are cutting without chemical assistance.

    I lose strength but my diet is not perfect.
    Thanks SeaHawk22
    From 15 to 10% not at all. From 10-8 % a little bit. From 8-6% definetly.

    Its all about gradually tapering everything in proportion and keeping carb intake constant (to a point). Once you get to single digits its very tough to manipulate your diet in which you retain anything (strenght wise)
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  10. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7017

    Quote Originally Posted by Lean One
    a lot of people mistake this for muscle loss. Less glycogen in the muscle means less strength. It comes back quick though. Especially with asistance.
    Less glycogen equals increased gluconeogenesis which equates to increased muscle loss. If you are losing strenght even in a depleted state then you are more than likely losing muscle.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  11. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7017

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTom
    T
    I could of probably went from 15% to 5%-6% in that same amount of time with low carbs and medium fat, but I would of probably lost a lot more muscle and lost strength, instead of gained it.
    Probably not. Lowering carbs does not increase fat loss, it increases weight loss. Fat loss in terms of breaking down triglycerides into FFA's and oxidation of those FFA's is a farily constant thing.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  12. Board Supporter
    200wannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    364
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Probably not. Lowering carbs does not increase fat loss, it increases weight loss. Fat loss in terms of breaking down triglycerides into FFA's and oxidation of those FFA's is a farily constant thing.
    Bobo, thats the second time i think that i have heard you say that fat loss is a fairly constant thing. Could you elaborate on this please.

    Assuming your in a calorific deficiet will changing the levels of macronutrients have no significant change on the rate of fat loss?

    And how do thermogenic and the like fit into this?

    Thanks,
  13. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7017

    Elaborate on what? The body controls itself failry easily. It has a remarkable ability at maintaining homeostasis. Removing carbs will change certain things (increase gluconeogenesis, lower leptin, lower glycogen, lower weight, etc...) but the rate of actual fat loss won't change. If that were the case pre contest diets would last 10-12 weeks instead of 16-20.


    Thermogenics (ECA) work better in a low fat environment, not a low carb environment.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  14. New Member
    TheTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    297
    Rep Power
    291
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    49.02%

    I'll post an example of the diet I used to get from 15%-9% in 20 weeks, while gaining strength.

    Breakfast: 1 cup Skim Milk+20g whey protein/egg protein blend and some oatmeal eaten straight out of the carton
    Meal 2: 2 slices of wheat bread with a ton of sandwhich ham
    Meal 3: Oatmeal out of the carton, Beef or Chicken
    Meal 4: 3 cups of Skim Milk
    Meal 5: Same as either meal 1, 3 or 4
    Meal 6: Same as meal 3 but maybe with Fish, for some healthy fats

    Pretty simple really. Keep carbs high, thus keeping ATP/Glygocen high, keep calories low by reducing fat intake, keep protein around 25g-35g a meal.

    Throw in 3-4 30-40 minutes low intensity cardio sessions a week and your golden.

    Oh, & A strength training program Focusing around the Big 3.
  15. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7017

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTom

    Pretty simple really. Keep carbs high, thus keeping ATP/Glygocen high, keep calories low by reducing fat intake, keep protein around 25g-35g a meal.
    Look like someone has it down.


    It is really remarkable how the KISS rule applies to many things.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Post Cycle crash! Loss of Libido and strength
    By hildiman in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-19-2013, 08:16 AM
  2. Strength and muscle loss during a cut?
    By Icemansoldier in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 12:56 PM
  3. Difference between strength and muscle?
    By someguy1984 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 12:56 PM
  4. loss of strength?
    By Necroticism in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 03:36 PM
  5. José Bégué A story of Strength and Faith
    By Jayhawkk in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2006, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in