Carb cycling 3 low 1 high repeat.

JerryCool17

Awards
I have seen a lot about this and never knew how to approach it. Doing 3 days on extremely low carbs and then the 3rd day eat about 80 to 100g of carbs per meal just sky rocket the carbs on that day. My body type is and endomorph gain muscle easy as hell and have trouble getting shredded.
This is what I wrote out for my diet low day and then high day all meals that say beef is lean 93-7% lean beef. What do you all think will this work? Cardio is down every high day for 30-45 mins after training. Thanks guys I know I post a lot about this stuff but I'm clueless. Thanks guys!

Low day

Meal one: 12 egg whites 8oz beef

Meal two: 2 scoops of whey

Meal three: 8oz chicken, 1 cup of broccoli

Meal four: 8oz beef, 1 cup broccoli

Meal five: 8oz chicken, 1 cup of broccoli

Meal six: 1 pound beef, 2 whole eggs 6 egg whites.

And then high day

High day

Meal one: 8 egg whites 2 whole, 2 packs of oats, 20carbs from blue berries

Meal two: whole wheat sandwich with peanut butter and banana

Meal three: 8oz chicken, 2 cups if rice

Meal four: 2 bananas 2 scoops whey

Meal five: 8 oz beef, large baked potato

Meal six: (pre workout) 2 packs of oats 1 scoop whey

Meal seven: (post workout) 100g of carbs from Gatorade, 10g creatine

Meal eight: ( 2 hours later) 10 oz beef, 2 whole eggs, large potato

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Can you give us more info on your current stats? Weight, approximate bodyfat %, etc...

Also, your protein seems astronomically high on your low carb days. You're at like 450g on the low days, which would probably be overkill for even a 300 pound bodybuilder.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I agree with JXiiXViii - protein seems insanely high. I did some quick math on your meal 6 - and it comes out to ~1174 calories (58f, 0c, 148p). Very curious to know your overall macro and calorie goals. Not only will you be overly full from eating all of that meat, but you'll be broke from buying so much food haha. I estimated those macros with 90% lean beef, so I'm also curious as to what kind of beef you're eating. Eating 1.5 pounds of beef could put your fat macros through the roof if you aren't careful with what cut of meat it is.

Give us some more info if you can. Your macros and calories seem a little whacky, unless you're somewhere in the 320-350 pound range.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
holy hell... thats a ton of calories... i think we can make an assuption that the reason you cant cut is that you're flat out eating too much haha

JerryCool17

Awards
Well I am pretty hungry a lot of the time and this way I keep from snacking I have will power but I like being full. And way I am 285 17% bodyfat about 6 foot 1 52 inch chest measured under arms 18 inch arms 29 inch thighs and my gut just kills it all and I want to compete.. I eat 93% 7% fat beef which is 11g fat in 4 oz if I remember correctly. And I don't really have a calorie goal because since I am 285 pounds the calories from protein is 1140 calories from that alone. So like I said a little clueless on this and really need the help so it's greatly appreciated.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Well I am pretty hungry a lot of the time and this way I keep from snacking I have will power but I like being full. And way I am 285 17% bodyfat about 6 foot 1 52 inch chest measured under arms 18 inch arms 29 inch thighs and my gut just kills it all and I want to compete.. I eat 93% 7% fat beef which is 11g fat in 4 oz if I remember correctly. And I don't really have a calorie goal because since I am 285 pounds the calories from protein is 1140 calories from that alone. So like I said a little clueless on this and really need the help so it's greatly appreciated.
If you're trying to get shredded, hunger and not feeling full are two things you have to get used to unfortunately.

I'd definitely drop your protein down to 1g per pound (285g per day). Some people like 1.5, but I'd say you're safe at 1g/lb.

A bunch of us can give you overall diet recommendations, and they will most likely be all over the board, so I'd recommend checking out Lyle's articles on fat loss here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss

That way you can kinda put the pieces together on your own and figure out something that works for you.

JerryCool17

Awards
And my question wasn't really answered.. Should I try the carb cycling thing

JerryCool17

Awards
I calculate this on a online thing how does this look?

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
What am I looking for?
His whole site is great and I'd recommend reading as much as you can if you're eager to learn more, but for starters:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html (this will help you set your calories)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-1.html/ (if you have trouble with percentages)

And my question wasn't really answered.. Should I try the carb cycling thing
That's personal preference. It does work, but you still need the right balance over time. Your high days should only offset your low days, not completely ruin them because you went too high for example.

From the sounds of it, since you're new to the whole dieting thing, I would say just follow a standard approach for now, and then worry about getting fancy with carb cycling and all that once you have some experience.

Trying to do too much too soon will just be overwhelming.

JerryCool17

Awards
So just hit around 2500 calories and go from there. And that's another thing, since I'm a big guy and ring a endomorph and being big and rugged I never know how many carbs or fat to eat low carbs high fat low fat high carbs moderate on each that's one of my biggest questions.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
So just hit around 2500 calories and go from there. And that's another thing, since I'm a big guy and ring a endomorph and being big and rugged I never know how many carbs or fat to eat low carbs high fat low fat high carbs moderate on each that's one of my biggest questions.
Personally I try to keep fats to between 0.4 to 0.6 g per lb of body weight (depending on goal i.e.0.4 when in caloric deficit) and then protein at 1.5 g per lb of lean body mass (regardless of goal) and carbs to reach the caloric intake at the time

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
2500 seems low for your size. I'd start at like 3,000 and adjust from there.

But you're overthinking this way too much man. High carbs/low fat, high fat/low carbs, moderate fat/moderate carbs, who cares?

In the end, get your overall calories and protein under control, and you will drop fat as long as you're in the deficit.

If you like fatty foods more than carb rich foods, go higher fat. If you like carbs, go higher in carbs.

Seriously, read the articles and all your questions will be answered.

JerryCool17

Awards
Also I have 21 weeks till my show eating the 3000 calories a day would that put me on the right track? And adjust carbs an calories when I hit a platue

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Also I have 21 weeks till my show eating the 3000 calories a day would that put me on the right track? And adjust carbs an calories when I hit a platue
Its hard for us to give you a yes or no answer to a question like that. 21 weeks is a good amount of time, but there are a lot of factors and changes that can take place over a contest prep. If you're at 285 now, what is your current body fat? Depending on your current stats, with a deadline of being stage lean in 21 weeks, you may need to adjust calories quicker or lower them fasted depending on your progress each week. Every person is different, so you will lose body fat differently than anyone else who can give you advice.

I would start at 3000 and monitor your progress each week, on the scale and in the mirror. Make adjustments as needed. As far as carb cycling goes, its definitely a great method for helping to lose body fat and get lean, especially for a contest prep. I would be sure to be smart about your carb timing, and monitor how your body responds to your higher carb days. I would also recommend using a GDA or nutrient partitioner on your high carb days to reduce bloating and help your body utilize your carbs. I would suggest using Slinmax, which is a very complete GDA product that will help drive those extra nutrients into your muscle glycogen, and it will aid in digesting your high carb meals and reduce bloating.

JerryCool17

Awards
Ok, I wrote out a diet that is right in the pout every little thing comin in is calculated. And carb are at 145 a day you say the carb cyclin is a great method how many carbs would you say on my high carb days? An how many carb days like 3 low 1 high repeat or 5 low two high if you see what I am saying. And my current stats are 285 pounds 17 % body fat.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, you may want to consider something to manage cortisol. Your low carb days likely have cortisol spiking significantly.

You should checkout Iron Legion Invictus to help manage cortisol.