Average 1-2lbs per week or more?

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
Curious as to what you all think and how much body fat you generally lose per week (not water weight). The rule of thumb is that 1-2lbs per week is 'average' and what a person should expect if they are dieting and exercising correctly and dedicated to their fat loss plan.

When I cut, I loose 6-8lbs within the first 48-72hrs which is WATER weight, not fat. Then I lose on about 4-5lbs a week of fat the first two weeks then the fat loss slows down and I tend to lose 2-4lbs per week with 2-3 being more frequent from there on.

I take a huge calorie deficit, I consume only water, and black coffee for fluids and natural foods such as chicken and salads in small portions with low carbs protein shakes.

How much do you generally lose per week?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
That's some serious weight loss! I think this depends a lot on the individual, and on your current level of leanness. I don't really go over 12-13% body fat ever during the year, so I always aim to lose a smaller amount of weight each week on a cut. My goals while cutting are usually 1-2 pounds per week.

How large of a deficit do you drop your calories when beginning your cut?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Sounds standard for MMA,

BB guys here may lean to 1 lb/week as I try to, or even slower is welcome.

Unless we have a deadline or show of course, but we'd start cutting wayyy before it

Starting deficit for me is 500, I don't ever like going lower.
That looks like about 1800 cals for me atm

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
That's some serious weight loss! I think this depends a lot on the individual, and on your current level of leanness. I don't really go over 12-13% body fat ever during the year, so I always aim to lose a smaller amount of weight each week on a cut. My goals while cutting are usually 1-2 pounds per week.

How large of a deficit do you drop your calories when beginning your cut?
It depends how much weight I have to drop for my fights. I walk around normally at about 180-185. I drop to 170 to fight by cutting. And even dropped to 160 once which was hardcore and dangerous in the amount of time I did it. But during a severe cut there's days I'll only eat one meal (a large chicken salad) and 2 protein shakes and that's all for a few days. It's rough but gotta make weight by time for the weigh ins.

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
Honestly I don't go by weight really at all. I will weigh myself for fun sometimes while cutting but since I know my body so well from bodybuilding for so long I go by mirror progress and strength. I lost around 17-18lbs on my last cut in 10 weeks (I stay lean in the off season). Also, I do carb cycling with my low carb days being pretty much no carbs (broccoli/green beans as "carbs") so it's hard for me to really say what deficit I prefer because I count macros and not calories. There's a pretty huge difference in cutting for MMA vs Bodybuilding though

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man, that's insane. I remember when losing 1-2 lbs a week made me feel like a failure. Nowadays I'll take that damn 1-2 lbs!

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
1-2 lbs a week is average right? That's what I've heard. I didn't think 1-2lbs a week was much lol

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I miss losing 10-15 lbs a month! :/ it just won't come off anymore.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
It depends how much weight I have to drop for my fights. I walk around normally at about 180-185. I drop to 170 to fight by cutting. And even dropped to 160 once which was hardcore and dangerous in the amount of time I did it. But during a severe cut there's days I'll only eat one meal (a large chicken salad) and 2 protein shakes and that's all for a few days. It's rough but gotta make weight by time for the weigh ins.
Crazy! How do you hold strength? Isnt it counterproductive to train at a specific weight with a given routine and suddenly drop 10/20 pounds? Arent you "shocked" with what your body can or cant do during the fight having lost all that weight?

What I mean is do you have time to adjust at your new weight?

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
Crazy! How do you hold strength? Isnt it counterproductive to train at a specific weight with a given routine and suddenly drop 10/20 pounds? Arent you "shocked" with what your body can or cant do during the fight having lost all that weight?

What I mean is do you have time to adjust at your new weight?
I certainly lose strength but after the weigh ins I end up rehydrating and put on 10lbs of weight within 24hrs which is water weight. It's a science lol.