A statement from a so called trainer....lol

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
OK well Was arguing with someone Im a non - related board . Someone asked what was better diet exercise or both. I said you need both. Coming from someone who was on Bobos progam I figure this was a good call...lol. Then another poster come on and said that diets where junk ....also said he/she was a trainer. Well My eyes poped out of me head.

I had posted that alot of people fail on diets becuase the start to see results then think its ok to get that extra peice of cheese cake or go to McDonalds.This poster came back to tell me this..........LOL

"i have am certified nationally, have a degree in engineering, and completed coursework in exercise science & kinesiology, and have trained women in fitness for over 3 years.

Dieting might make you loose a few pounds, but it won't build muscle, it won't burn calories and fat, it won't change your body physiology to make it a better fat burning machine, only rigorious exercise, cardio and muscle, can do that. The key is balance, muscle and cardio."

I just though people would like to give their comments on this statement

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like one of those wacko aerobics instructor/trainers that teach like 5 classes a day then go home and pound down chocolate cake. :rolleyes:

The persons points are valid, but they are obviously missing a huge piece of the puzzle. You know that though. ;)

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
yeah it was pretty interesting. The first words out of this persons mouth was diets suck. Without really explaining why

charger

Banned
Awards
Thats nothing compared to the "nurtrition and diet therapy" class I am taking. The authors of the book both women. State that supplements and protein do not build muscle only exercise can build muscle. They even threw in the phrase "bulk up". lol

They even go on to say the bioavailbilty of powder protein is not as good as real food.

charger

Banned
Awards
trainers should take a micro biology class and learn what and how cells work, live, rebuild.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats nothing compared to the "nurtrition and diet therapy" class I am taking. The authors of the book both women. State that supplements and protein do not build muscle only exercise can build muscle. They even threw in the phrase "bulk up". lol

They even go on to say the bioavailbilty of powder protein is not as good as real food.
Well technically protein and supps don't "build" muscle, the stimulus from resistance training does. You can take all the protein in the world but it takes energy and the stimulus to build msucle. Most people just starting out could build muscle with the RDA of protein and a resistance program.

Also whole foods are better than powders. The body digests and absorbs whole food much more efficiently than any concentrated powder.

But the first "trainer" is a complete idiot. Diets suck? Sometimes I wonder how some people can even get paid spreading **** like that.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Explains why there is so much confusion out there, with all of the bunk information that is going around.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well technically protein and supps don't "build" muscle, the stimulus from resistance training does. You can take all the protein in the world but it takes energy and the stimulus to build msucle. Most people just starting out could build muscle with the RDA of protein and a resistance program.

Also whole foods are better than powders. The body digests and absorbs whole food much more efficiently than any concentrated powder.

But the first "trainer" is a complete idiot. Diets suck? Sometimes I wonder how some people can even get paid spreading **** like that.
Yeah but but do you think the authors understood it in this context.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Probably. Most nutrition books state the same thing. People think protein "builds" muscle. Think of at a house and the wood it takes to build it. The wood doesn't "build" the house. Proteins are the building blocks of muscle but you need a stimulus on the genetic level to initiate that growth (and subsequent need for additional protein). Once that happens then you provide the "wood" for that new growth to occur.

So in a sense they are correct. Exercise builds muscle, not protein.

The authors write the book from a technically accurate point of view.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I don't even like to use the word diet. Most people equate the word diet with restriction. I usually use the word nutrition in place of diet.

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
OK one last post from the world class trainer...lol

"Yes, portion control is important...don't get me wrong. The only real "diet" i've ever endorsed is weight watchers only because they teach proper portion sizes....but when you workout, you not only burn calories, but rebuild your body no diet can do."

Well thats a wrap .i will never need Bobos services again . Im going to look this chic up for all my training needs...HHAAHAHHAHA

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Speaking of people thinking protein will build muscle, there's a company that advertises on the radio in my state for their product 'Calo-Lean'. All it is is collagen, expensive collagen at that, and they state repeatedly in their adds that WITHOUT diet or exercise you are absolutely guaranteed to burn X amount of fat and build X amount of muscle per month.