Plaintain's......hi or low gi

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I love them and I would like to incorporate either sweet or regular plaintain's into my diet, unless they are hi gi. I am guessing they are hi.:(

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Eeew! Plantains are all about being fried with butter spray and a dash of salt, and being served next to black beans and jerk chicken breast :D Get it right!~

Jblake

Awards
sweet or regular man. regular seem more like potatoes! Man that sure sounds good exnihilo. authentic but tweaked to be protein/carb. Shoot yeah

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
it is low for both sweet and regular plaintains?

Jblake

Awards
The ones i usually see in the stores around here (TN) are regular. They're more starchy, less sugary. Kind of like a less sweet banana.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
two things....

1. do they have to be boiled before being fried?

2. How the **** do I know which ones to buy? How do I know if they are good or ripe? You know what I mean.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
1: No.

2: The green ones are less sweet, I don't like them. Try to find one that looks like a large regular banana, yellowish/orangish with brown spots. These are perfectly balanced between starchy and sweet, with a little salt and some butter spray, MMMMMMMMmmmm.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
alot of brown spots or a little? I dont wanna end up buying them only to find them rotten on the inside.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Unlike a banana when there are lots of brown spots on the outside of a plantain that means it's just exactly how you want it (if you like it slightly sweet). If it's brown all over that means it's rotten :D