low carb high protein shake?

  1. New Member
    oh-honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    127
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    57.7%

    Question low carb high protein shake?


    hi. i'm new on this board... i've been lurking for a while, and this is my first post

    anyways, could someone please recommend me a decent tasting... low carb high protein shake? i'm currently drinking nitrotech... but i'd like to try something different.

    also... i recently accidentally drank one that was past it's expiration date - by a month, oops . does it affect the effectiveness of the drink?

    cheers

    /~honey.

  2. Registered User
    glenihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,679
    Rep Power
    1963
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    6.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    checkout either optimum nutrition's shake or allthewhey.com
  3. New Member
    oh-honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    127
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    57.7%

    thanks, i'll look for that
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    UNDERTAKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,162
    Rep Power
    702
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    81.56%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    ON is good stuff only 25$ for 5lbs at 1fast400.com
  5. New Member
    oh-honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    127
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    57.7%

    would you guys recommend muscle milk for someone trying to lose weight? it looks pretty high in cals, fat & carbs. but a friend of mine said it was worth it


    also, would it be enough to kick me out of ketosis if i only drank it once a day
  6. Throbbing Member
    spitboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    255
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    88.62%

    Quote Originally Posted by oh-honey
    would you guys recommend muscle milk for someone trying to lose weight? it looks pretty high in cals, fat & carbs. but a friend of mine said it was worth it


    also, would it be enough to kick me out of ketosis if i only drank it once a day

    Definitely find another drink. It has sugar for carbs and saturated fat... a cheap imitation of a weight-gainer so I'm not sure why you'd want to drink it while cutting fat or trying to get into ketosis.

    Any good protein shake will be almost all protein by the label.. 1 or 2 carbs and 1g of fat isn't unusual per scoop, but it should be just protein. You drink it with oatmeal or something with EFAs like flax oil or almonds to make a meal of it... don't rely on the shake to give you good carbs or fat that you need.
  7. Registered User
    TheCrownedOne's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,362
    Rep Power
    803
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    15.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Losing weight's fundamentally about 'calories out>calories in' (though calorie quality is definitely a factor). If you can swing the extra calories (be sure to figure the macronutrient breakdown into your daily total) then Muscle Milk is a tempting choice (the flavor's hard to beat). You're more likely to burn more fat and keep more muscle if you go with a slow-digesting, casein based protein like allthewhey.com's milk protein isolate (80% casein, 20% whey) or Muscle Milk, but if you're buying your protein mainly for post-workout you'll want whey. Allthewhey.com's prices are hard to beat...second would be Optimum Nutrition. Of course you can never go wrong with skim milk!
  8. New Member
    oh-honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    127
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    57.7%

    thanks. i'm just having a problem eating enough proteins on my diet . i gag when i eat too much meat (sorry that sounds off ~ but you know what i mean lol)

    Quote Originally Posted by spitboy
    Definitely find another drink. It has sugar for carbs and saturated fat... a cheap imitation of a weight-gainer so I'm not sure why you'd want to drink it while cutting fat or trying to get into ketosis.

    Any good protein shake will be almost all protein by the label.. 1 or 2 carbs and 1g of fat isn't unusual per scoop, but it should be just protein. You drink it with oatmeal or something with EFAs like flax oil or almonds to make a meal of it... don't rely on the shake to give you good carbs or fat that you need.
  9. Senior Member
    natedogg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,414
    Rep Power
    1336
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    9.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Two places have the cheapest protein anywhere. All the Whey which is a board sponsor and True Protein which allows you to customize your protein however you like. Can't go wrong with either.
  10. New Member
    oh-honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    127
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    57.7%

    thanks! i'll look into allthewhey... because GNC sucks. i bought some nitrotech the other day ~ only to find out it's already expired . it's just more convenient because it's right next to my gym

    i'm learning a lot from reading this board


    Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    Two places have the cheapest protein anywhere. All the Whey which is a board sponsor and True Protein which allows you to customize your protein however you like. Can't go wrong with either.
  11. Senior Member
    exnihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,577
    Rep Power
    924
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    98.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    All the whey's flavored wheys are super super super sweet, so go with the unflavored unless you think mexican pastries are bland *cough*...

    My suggestion to you is to mix 2 cups of milk with 2 scoops of whey, some ice, splenda and unsweetened orange coolade mix. That is about as healthy of a workout drink as you are going to get without venturing into the land of tastes-like-ass.
  12. New Member
    oh-honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    127
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    57.7%

    that sounds good, i will try that. yeah, i'm not a fan of overly.sweet.tastes.like.ass drinks

    thanks exnihilo

    Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    All the whey's flavored wheys are super super super sweet, so go with the unflavored unless you think mexican pastries are bland *cough*...

    My suggestion to you is to mix 2 cups of milk with 2 scoops of whey, some ice, splenda and unsweetened orange coolade mix. That is about as healthy of a workout drink as you are going to get without venturing into the land of tastes-like-ass.
  13. New Member
    ATWgirlMaUrA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    128
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    28.2%

    see now thats just too much work for one protein shake, adding all those un necessary ingredients, while you could just use all the wheys protein powder,just 1 scoop though with more milk or any other liquid you like, no hassle of sitting there blending all that other stuff together, just scoop,pour and shake! sorry exnihilo, it sounds delicious (like your body) but i'm way to lazy for all that!!



    Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    All the whey's flavored wheys are super super super sweet, so go with the unflavored unless you think mexican pastries are bland *cough*...

    My suggestion to you is to mix 2 cups of milk with 2 scoops of whey, some ice, splenda and unsweetened orange coolade mix. That is about as healthy of a workout drink as you are going to get without venturing into the land of tastes-like-ass.
  14. Senior Member
    exnihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,577
    Rep Power
    924
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    98.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ATWgirlMaUrA
    see now thats just too much work for one protein shake, adding all those un necessary ingredients, while you could just use all the wheys protein powder,just 1 scoop though with more milk or any other liquid you like, no hassle of sitting there blending all that other stuff together, just scoop,pour and shake! sorry exnihilo, it sounds delicious (like your body) but i'm way to lazy for all that!!
    My experience with all the whey was that I had to mix 1 scoop with at least two cups of milk, if not three - it really was that sweet to me. Plus I've never found a flavored protein that really hit the "spot" for me, I always have to tweak to get it to be enjoyable (though some brands' chocolate flavors have been bearable with water for a quick fix - in this case I didn't find that to be true with ATW, different strokes)

    Thus my suggestion to go with the unflavored and fix it up.
  15. New Member
    oh-honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    127
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    57.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by ATWgirlMaUrA
    sorry exnihilo, it sounds delicious (like your body) but i'm way to lazy for all that!!
    - that actually made me lol @ work

  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Very Low Carb+Low Fat+ High Protein ICE CREAM
    By Whacked in forum Recipes
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 04:49 PM
  2. Low carb, High Protein Cheesecake
    By Pressure in forum Recipes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 03:22 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 02:09 PM
  5. LOW CARB MRP protein recipies?
    By houseman in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 01:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in