Carbless postworkout

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Just wondering what people's opinion in is subject is? I have ran a carbless postworkout for the past 8 weeks, and i have leaned out quite a lot while maintaining mass! I lift in the evening from around 6-8 and i eat around ~100g protein after that. Then i dont eat until 8-9 the next day! Just wondering if any of you have tried this protocol?

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I removed carbs post workout by design because I was on a cut. Yes it leans me out but also because thatts extra calories. If I want to gain weight then I'm putting it back

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just eat your carbs whenever. I think the issue, in terms of body composition, will make a very small impact on one's physique. I save all my carbs post workout lol

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've usually always carbed up post workout but just cut carbs all other time when on a cut. you need those carbs post workout whether cutting or bulking to preserve muscle.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
It is quite wrong to say that you will lose muscle if you don't have carbs post workout. Quite wrong indeed. I'm not bashing carbs, but let's not make such crazy and un-scientific statements as that.

Reactions: Jag
Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I believe the prestigious International Bro Science Institute conducted a rigorous study where in which they asked 50 bros if they thought not eating carbs post workout would cause you to lose muscle. A paper was published, peer reviewed and that is the end of the matter.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When dieting, I'll start by removing carbs from meals that are furthest away from training. Once those are gone, post-workout carbs would be the first to go out of my peri-workout carb intake. After that, pre wo carbs would be removed in most situations, and intra carbs (start sipping about 10-15 mins before training and finish at the end of a session) would be the last to go. This approach allows me to keep energy and training intensity up deeper into a diet/prep.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Im taking in 150g of carbs daily as of now. How ive been doing it is....my breakfast around 9 in the morning is a low carb shake(it is very caloric dense though) which consist of 2 TB olive oil, 2TB Natty PB, liquid eggwhites, almond milk, scoop of select, spinach, 2tsp fishoil, and a scoop of orange triad+greens. Only carbs come from the PB and trace amounts from the protein. Then for lunch about 3-3 and half hours later, i eat a solid meal which consist of complex carbs(beans, sweet peas), which comes around to ~35 carbs. Then my preworkout meal is were i get around 60% of my carbs, so i guess you could say that i front load my carbs. Its been working well for me going carbless post-workout regarding recovery, muscle preservation, and such.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
When dieting, I'll start by removing carbs from meals that furthest away from training. Once those are gone, post-workout carbs would be the first to go out of my peri-workout carb intake. After that, pre wo carbs would be removed in most situations, and intra carbs (start sipping about 10-15 mins before training and finish at the end of a session) would be the last to go. This approach allows me to keep energy and training intensity up deeper into a diet/prep.
How much intra carbs do you usually take in while cutting?

avega17

Awards
  • Established
When dieting, I'll start by removing carbs from meals that furthest away from training. Once those are gone, post-workout carbs would be the first to go out of my peri-workout carb intake. After that, pre wo carbs would be removed in most situations, and intra carbs (start sipping about 10-15 mins before training and finish at the end of a session) would be the last to go. This approach allows me to keep energy and training intensity up deeper into a diet/prep.
This is the way to do it.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How much intra carbs do you usually take in while cutting?
It varies depending on how far into my cut and what's being trained. I also consume more calories and carbs while cutting than a lot members here do bulking, so that needs to be taken into account as well. That said, I started dieting for a contest last week and my intra carbs are usually 75-125g. They will drop towards the end of prep, but that won't be for a while. Overall carb intake is only down to 600g on most days at this point.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Do you have protein at around bodyweight?

avega17

Awards
  • Established
It varies depending on how far into my cut and what's being trained. I also consume more calories and carbs while cutting than a lot members here do bulking, so that needs to be taken into account as well. That said, I started dieting for a contest last week and my intra carbs are usually 75-125g. They will drop towards the end of prep, but that won't be for a while. Overall carb intake is only down to 600g on most days at this point.
What's your fat intake like?

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
By and large, fat intake won't make a difference vs overall calorie intake... although in my experience taking your fat intake too low will certainly have a detrimental effect over a prolonged period. I've successfully lost body fat and recomped eating 150g+ fat a day, with 50g intra workout carbs (Karbolyn), protein at 1g/lb bodyweight, and then at the weekend I'll have a high carb/low fat day. Calories always usually within the 2500 range... if I'm recomping. If I need to lose more weight, I'd just drop the cals... perhaps try cycling cals also. Beauty of higher fat for me is that it provides satiety, so dropping cals is easy without feeling like you're starving.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you have protein at around bodyweight?
What's your fat intake like?
I usually consume at least 1.5g protein per pound of bodyweight, but feel 1g/lb is fine for most. I've found that I personally have trouble adding muscle with less. My overall intake makes it pretty easy to fit in a lot of protein as well (would have a harder time keeping it around 1g/lb).

The majority of the time I try to keep fat around 20% of my overall intake on training days and closer to 30% on non-training days, regardless of my goal (main sources include red palm oil, coconut oil, eggs, grass fed beef, fish oil, nut butters). However, nothing is set in stone and I'll make whatever changes I feel necessary along the way. I wouldn't just copy what someone else is doing though, as what works for one might not be the best approach for someone else.

avega17

Awards
  • Established
By and large, fat intake won't make a difference vs overall calorie intake... although in my experience taking your fat intake too low will certainly have a detrimental effect over a prolonged period. I've successfully lost body fat and recomped eating 150g+ fat a day, with 50g intra workout carbs (Karbolyn), protein at 1g/lb bodyweight, and then at the weekend I'll have a high carb/low fat day. Calories always usually within the 2500 range... if I'm recomping. If I need to lose more weight, I'd just drop the cals... perhaps try cycling cals also. Beauty of higher fat for me is that it provides satiety, so dropping cals is easy without feeling like you're starving.
I usually consume at least 1.5g protein per pound of bodyweight, but feel 1g/lb is fine for most. I've found that I personally have trouble adding muscle with less. My overall intake makes it pretty easy to fit in a lot of protein as well (would have a harder time keeping it around 1g/lb).

The majority of the time I try to keep fat around 20% of my overall intake on training days and closer to 30% on non-training days, regardless of my goal (main sources include red palm oil, coconut oil, eggs, grass fed beef, fish oil, nut butters). However, nothing is set in stone and I'll make whatever changes I feel necessary along the way. I wouldn't just copy what someone else is doing though, as what works for one might not be the best approach for someone else.
Agree with your view on protein. I tend to be in the 1-1.5 g/lb range and shifting towards to the top of the range or higher as I continue to reduce calories.

As for fat, I find that I typically end up with 125-150 g/d from all my sources with a 33/33/33 split, leaning towards CHO, but lately I've been trying to drop that to around 100 g/d in favor of more carbs as I diet down. I'd like to maintain the highest CHO intake possible while in a deficit.

I tried carb cycling once while on a reverse diet and to be honest I didn't like it. I found that I wasn't recovering as well. I do some form of activity typically 6 days a week, so I found it unnecessary to break it down that much. It's simpler to just maintain the same daily intake if your activity levels are high.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards

Oh i agree about protocols differing from person to person....i was just wondering your take on protein since i knew from your log that you are always very high carb! You usually can get away with lesser protein if your carbs are high. I also agree with high while cutting; my absolute minimum protein while cutting is 1.25x BW! Thanks for the response though!

digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
I have always gradually cut my carbs down to post workout only when on a cut. I recently switched to carbs preworkout only and its working very well for me

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Preworkout, i get ~60% of my daily carbs

David147

Awards
Light/moderate weights and higher reps will just tone, firm and sculpt the muscle there mostly, but will not usually result in larger ones.

Just avoid all sugars and refined carbs possible (no/low fiber, high carb foods). Limit your higher carbs foods to 1 or 2 serving per day of whole/multi-grain flour/cereal/grain type carbs. The only carbs you DO NOT eliminate or limit in any way are those from ***VEGGIES***, and to a lesser extent nuts, beans and such (which are all high fiber, lower carb foods, with LOTS of extra nutrients as well).

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Light/moderate weights and higher reps will just tone, firm and sculpt the muscle there mostly, but will not usually result in larger ones.

Just avoid all sugars and refined carbs possible (no/low fiber, high carb foods). Limit your higher carbs foods to 1 or 2 serving per day of whole/multi-grain flour/cereal/grain type carbs. The only carbs you DO NOT eliminate or limit in any way are those from ***VEGGIES***, and to a lesser extent nuts, beans and such (which are all high fiber, lower carb foods, with LOTS of extra nutrients as well).
There's no such thing as 'toning'... I thought this myth died long ago?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's no such thing as 'toning'... I thought this myth died long ago?
This guy is spamming the board with some of the worst advice I've seen. Its everywhere this morning. :crying:

jaces

jaces

Awards
This guy is spamming the board with some of the worst advice I've seen. Its everywhere this morning. :crying:
while were on the topic of light weights and so on what is your opinion on myofibrial vs sarcoplasmic growth?